Thinking about HP/SDC

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

I never tried it that way, myself I like the HP/SDC the way it is and I do use the HP tables for serious injuries to add a little more to the game.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

macksting wrote:One of the advantages of having a split SDC/HP system is that, when a hit is guaranteed to go straight past a person's defenses, such as a .22 bullet to the skull from a wrong move in a hostage situation, you can just roll the damage and apply it directly to hit points.

I'd imagine that sort of a thing would be automatically ruled as strictly HP damage, unless there's something in between that would potentially prevent the injury from happening(such as wearing a helmet, in this example).

Also, I'd probably halve(hard armor) or quarter(soft armor) the SDC of personal armors against bladed melee weapons, because they're meant to stop blunt objects(bullets, baseball bats, fists, other blunt objects), not sharp ones(knives, swords etc). Then again, vehicle armor should be highly resistant against any small arms fire and melee weapons so the SDC would be doubled against them. I wouldn't change the AR though, as they're not harder/easier to hit using these weapons.

I think the HP/SDC system is okay, but it does require some thought and common sense in some instances.
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

Try checking out PF1ed for ideas for a HP only game.

Also, you could incorporate house rules or house items that cause "straight to HP" damage more often if you feel that having SDC is a problem.

However, from what you posted it sounds like PCs will still have the same number of overall points from HP and SDC combined, there just wouldn't be any "straight to HP" damage possible. So maybe simply ending "straight to HP" damage might solve the problem.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Besides, a few really cool spells sould have to be dropped. Y'know, spells that eliminate ALL of a character's SDC... ;)

Besides, you'd be immune to all spells that don't specifically do HP damage, since they all say "Does X SDC damage."

*ducks*
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

I like it better than the MDC system... :D

The HP/SDC system is not what Palladium has problems with. It's the AR system! :lol:
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I personally prefer the SDC/Hit Point system.
If the characters have reasonable restrictions on their SDC to begin with, this won't get out of hand.
Don't let players load up on every armour and physical skill available.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Sentinel...

Let 'em load-up on all the SDC they want. AV rounds will still go through them like butter (leaving a nasty bleeding wound). Blow a mine under their feet, and you still do double damage direct to HPs, crash 'em in a car going 100kph, and you're still going to do damage enough to do serious effect to the character, etc...
Fnord

gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

macksting wrote:Frankly, they're going to hit a level where the enemies can just fire and almost automatically bypass the AR. This is especially true in heavy melee combat, where the bonuses really start to wrack up. On top of that, many mutants get mad bonuses to strike.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not every mutant animal can qualify for tank status, and armour is overrated, however necessary it may be for surviving a thousand mooks. It's still not hard to threaten characters.

Particularly in After the Bomb. On the surface, there's overwhelmingly weapons and robots that can destroy the best armor quickly even without bypassing it. Better yet, in space, all it takes is a badly-timed hull breach...

I don't know about anyone else, but I really dig the new spider goat silk body armor.
Last edited by gordyzx9r on Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

On another thread I posted a suggestion that you might want to try using AR as a "base number" that your defensive actions are added to, so that someone with an AR of 15, +6 on dodge, and a roll of 10 on the attempt; has a score of 31 versus the attacker's attempt to strike...although a nat 20 would still bypass the defender's armour (unless [s]he also rolled a nat 20).
Fnord

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Your group isn't the only one. There were several people in the thread I mentioned whom espoused the same theory.
Fnord

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

By the book? ;)

Under A.R., no damage, even if it hits. :ok:
Fnord

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Re:

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

macksting wrote:I can't help but think the mutant insect leather or mutant insect chitin armors might be cheaper. I don't think they'd have as much SDC, though, despite having comparable AR's...? I dunno, don't have the new book.

This is what we're doing in my ATB game. It makes the Skin and Prepare Hides skill almost invaluable. Insect armor keeps the natural AR and SDC. Which now that I stop to think about it might be incredibly ridiculous. It is however much simpler than trying to divide up the SDC by what parts I was able to salvage. Also, for as dangerous and hard to kill as the ATB giant mutant insects are I say we are deserving of such booty.

Giant Beetle Armor
AR 14 SDC 115

Likelihood that you'll survive ..Not Very
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”