Airships

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nowhere65
Wanderer

Airships

Unread post by Nowhere65 »

Hey all, I saw the Mummy 2 last night and it got my thinking about the airships in AtB: Mutants Down Under.

While I've read through the book before I was wondering how good the rules were on the airships.

How well does combat fair between multipule airships?
How well do the creation rules work?

What is your best design?
gordyzx9r
Hero

Re: Airships

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

Geronimo 2.0 wrote:3. A Hindenberg sized armored weapons platform: chain guns with computer aided targeting and medium ranged guided missile launchers, I also included a number of electronic countermeasures to help it be stealty. It has quiet electric motors... silent, but deadly.

For AtB? I could see it without the computer aided targeting and the guided missiles (maybe if they were wire guided).
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
Nowhere65
Wanderer

gordyzx9r wrote:For AtB? I could see it without the computer aided targeting and the guided missiles (maybe if they were wire guided).

I woundn't even go that far. I like the low high tech feel. I'd go with old style rockets. point and shoot.
(edit)
Bamboo stuffed with gunpowder.....they do this in the Riverworld books and in the second Uplift series (granted these are huge and they make a passenger vehicle out of one at the end of the book)
(/edit)
They'd be better than cannons because you wouldn't have to carry the weight of the cannon itself. Weight would be a major concern. In order to carry one thing you'd have to give up another.....
Last edited by Nowhere65 on Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

Nowhere65 wrote:
gordyzx9r wrote:For AtB? I could see it without the computer aided targeting and the guided missiles (maybe if they were wire guided).

I woundn't even go that far. I like the low high tech feel. I'd go with old style rockets. point and shoot. They'd be better than cannons because you wouldn't have to carry the weight of the cannon itself. Weight would be a major concern. In order to carry one thing you'd have to give up another.....

But the cannon would give you the benefit of increased aim, and the usage of different types of ammunition.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
Nowhere65
Wanderer

The cannon has its plus's and minus's. You have to consider recoil and the fact that you might be hanging under a floating balloon. Every shot fire would change the airships ballast and you would rise further into the sky.

Bamboo rockets would be lighter, cheaper, and modified to do other dangerous things. Take the warhead off and attach them to the airship for a rocket assist. Use said warheads as bombs....

Rocket warheads could be loaded with a variety of things. Just gunpowder, rocks/buckshot/glass/etc, even a simple shaped charge set to explode on impact like modern Ap missles, acid, that metal eating stuff, etc.

And both rockets and canons would be very dangerous in a hydrgen airship.

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”