Baseball?

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

evil_c wrote:If EW wanted to demonstrate a true all American sport he should have used basketball, hockey, or lacrosse.

I don't like it much either (therefore it doesn't exist...behold the power of a GM :P). But, I think he used baseball because like someone else said, it's known as the great American past time. Though, IMO...football overshadows all other sports in the USA. But baseball is a cheap and easy game that requires very little equipment.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

Well I liked the idea. ^_^;
Remember who you wanted to be.
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

evil_c wrote:If EW wanted to demonstrate a true all American sport he should have used basketball, hockey, or lacrosse.

Umm... Okay.... :?:

gordyzx9r wrote:...baseball is a cheap and easy game that requires very little equipment.

That makes sense.

However, the way I read it the umpires being holy travelers probably refers to the reverence that people hold them in, not an actual "religious" possition. I would have probably thought them more viewed as traveling mediators, or judges, in the non-governed regions of the country.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

Tyciol: Welcome to After the Bomb. :-D
Remember who you wanted to be.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

I've played football - what Americans call football - pretty cheap. Get a ball and have at it. Sort of like rugby.
gordyzx9r
Hero

lather wrote:I've played football - what Americans call football - pretty cheap. Get a ball and have at it. Sort of like rugby.

Depends how far into it you want to go...flag football is inexpensive to play but it's not supposed to get overly physical (though it usually does), and if you have to start getting helmets, pads, etc the price will go up significantly as compared to baseball.
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

evil_c wrote:
Umm... Okay.... Question

What don't you understad?

Actually, LaCrosse was originated by the native indians, so can't really be considered an "American" game. But I get the point you were trying to make.

Though when you said: "If EW wanted to demonstrate a true all American sport he should have used basketball, hockey, or lacrosse.", it sounds like you were trying to say that Baseball isn't a true all American game.

~Nekira Sudacne
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by VR Dragon »

Why baseball? Why not basketball or hockey or something else? Lets see.

Basketball? Jumping and running around ( Kind of limiting since a lot of mutants aren't standard humans size or bigger) and some physical bumping and grunting. So body mass factors in such as super strong mutant bulls, gorillas and such. So lets see. To selective in what species can do it and which can only be cheerleaders. Besides white buffalo can't jump! Rhino bumps mouse and kills him.

Soccer? Speed is important but the differences in strength and body masses are a bit to much to allow for something (Everyone) can do at the same time. Mutant bulls vs. the smaller raccoons? Roadkill....

Hockey? Need ice.... Tech isn't high enough to spend resources on something that needs semi-constant maintence.

Football? Again something to physical that the vast Differences of body builds and mass would hamper. And besides like rugby, the fans tend to get violent a lot more then the contenders? I seem to recall riots in the streets....

So Baseball, lets see. Speed is important for running bases but not a huge factor alone. Skill for hitting a small little ball that is going really fast? Something anyone can do. Basket balls is somewhat like this but of a different form. Big bulls and small Raccoons, light boned avians, whatever you may be can get a chance and it Kinda equals out.

And why is football more popular then baseball? Baseball is less VIOLENT. Americans seem highly fixated on the bigger , stronger , taller.
Last edited by VR Dragon on Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
gordyzx9r
Hero

evil_c wrote:I do not belive that baseball is a true all American home-grown sport. It's origins started in england with the game rounders.

I don't think anyone was trying to pass it off that way...they (I) were referring to it as the great American past time.
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

evil_c wrote:However, my original distaste ,with the religous overtones given baseball in the AtB, has been lost.

Yeah, I think the posts lost that angle too. I do agree with you though.

It really didn't need to be included, but like Siembieda has said, take what you like and leave the rest. And besides, there are people, even today, who follow sports 'religiously' so it's possible that Kevin or Erick added that twist to Baseball in AtB as an ironic twist, one that could me modified to any sport they wish to put in its place for their campaign.

~Nekira Sudacne
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by VR Dragon »

First off, I know you didn't mention football but I tried to cover some of the "Major" sports that are played in the states. I didn't cover them all but the ones I do watch and play.

Second, I know that size, speed, skill, talent ... the whole nine yards factor into sports. And if you do more then skim throught the stuff you will also note that SIZE and STRENGTH vary. So yes a Bird could hit harder then a Bull. Not all bulls have beastly strength but some birds do.

Third, Organized Leagues? Your funny. the setting is after the bomb. Next to nothing is really organized (aleast in north america.) A village is hardly composed of 1 type of animal ( All cows, pigs, Etc.) while this does happen in the more purebreed groups, on average its all a big melting pot. A town of 50 may not have enough of equal stature to form a LEAGUE. So they play together.

Fourth, If you haven't GMed for a Mutant Animal game like ATB then you would not understand that the older gamestuff it comes from focuses more on fun and silliness and not so much on battle and struggle ( even though that too is part of the game ) Its all about talking humanized animals. I don't think it can be remotely taken to seriously nor Should it be.

Finally, From what I read into your responding post. I don't think this game setting is right for you. Try Rifts. I don't feel you have what it takes to run ATB short of a slaughterfest.
gordyzx9r
Hero

VR Dragon wrote: I don't think this game setting is right for you. Try Rifts. I don't feel you have what it takes to run ATB short of a slaughterfest.

Rifts!?! Good god man...don't force that upon anyone, it's inhumane to force Rifts upon people :D.
gordyzx9r
Hero

Erick Wujcik wrote:
So I love the idea of a busload of mutant animal baseball players wandering around the AtB world, much like the old black baseball teams. Going into strange encampments, playing ball with mutant cattle, or mutant swamp creatures, or even Empire of Humanity humans...

So what your trying to say is that the war is over? Well, that kinda takes the fun out of the AtB game now if the mutants and the EoH are getting along well enough to play baseball. :D
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

gordyzx9r wrote:So what your trying to say is that the war is over? Well, that kinda takes the fun out of the AtB game now if the mutants and the EoH are getting along well enough to play baseball. :D

Sounds like the 1914 "Christmas Truce" between German and British soldiers, or the legend of Spangler's Spring at Gettysburg, to me.
Insert 400 character limit here.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Baseball?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

evil_c wrote:
snip....
I guess my question is...why? Why focus on one sport? Why baseball? Why give it religious overtones?
...snip

Why do humans tend to choose something as their thing/sport/religion...its because that is how humans are. They will obsesse over something to fill their life. Whether to get closer to god or to get away from god.

Sence before the US civil war Baseball was a games that most "everybody" knew how to play. So ended up with the title of the nation's past time.

Now in ATB this sport is something most everychar can play so they do. So they obsess about it.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i can see a religion based around baseball easily.

its got its preists (umpires), its saints (famous players), its churches (stadiums), its holy relics and vestments (equipment and uniforms, respectivly), its commandments (rules of the game, enforced by umpires), and its followers (fans.), heck, you could even work announcers in as prophets and coaches in as "high clerics"
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i can see a religion based around baseball easily.

its got its preists (umpires), its saints (famous players), its churches (stadiums), its holy relics and vestments (equipment and uniforms, respectivly), its commandments (rules of the game, enforced by umpires), and its followers (fans.), heck, you could even work announcers in as prophets and coaches in as "high clerics"

Yea I agree, and while we're at is lets call the owners Angels.
:fool:
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

It's possible the Baseball was included in the Skills listing to be an example of a Sports skill, but linking it with religeon could go something like this;

In the early days after the Big Death, the intelligent animals now charged with rebuilding civilization needed something that would unite various species, both Human and Intelligent Animal, as well as potentially others, in a spirit of communal competition. Many books, pre-Death videos and small flat pictures called 'trading cards' survived, and none were as prolific as the theme of "Base-ball". Speaking with the few human survivors (many whom were still devout fans), they told of a game that took on aspects of legendary struggles between ancient deity-like legends and 'rookies', mere mortals with some talent or skill at the game. 'Fans' would literally worship players or whole pantheonic teams, even to the point of tribal adornment, as seen in quite a few surviving videos of 'Opening day' and "Series" footage; painting themselves in their team's colors, forgoing protective clothing even in the harshest of winters, even attacking rivals over the most trival of game-subjects. Despite these disconcerning aspects, many decided to revive this old-world past time & formed amatuer teams.
--excerpt from the journals of Samisosa Foxglove, scholar & baseball fan.

I'd put up more, but I'm not a baseball fan & I can't think of anything else right now.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

BookWyrm wrote:It's possible the Baseball was included in the Skills listing to be an example of a Sports skill, but linking it with religeon could go something like this;

In the early days after the Big Death, the intelligent animals now charged with rebuilding civilization needed something that would unite various species, both Human and Intelligent Animal, as well as potentially others, in a spirit of communal competition. Many books, pre-Death videos and small flat pictures called 'trading cards' survived, and none were as prolific as the theme of "Base-ball". Speaking with the few human survivors (many whom were still devout fans), they told of a game that took on aspects of legendary struggles between ancient deity-like legends and 'rookies', mere mortals with some talent or skill at the game. 'Fans' would literally worship players or whole pantheonic teams, even to the point of tribal adornment, as seen in quite a few surviving videos of 'Opening day' and "Series" footage; painting themselves in their team's colors, forgoing protective clothing even in the harshest of winters, even attacking rivals over the most trival of game-subjects. Despite these disconcerning aspects, many decided to revive this old-world past time & formed amatuer teams.
--excerpt from the journals of Samisosa Foxglove, scholar & baseball fan.

I'd put up more, but I'm not a baseball fan & I can't think of anything else right now.

Thats pretty good. You should flesh it out and submit it to Rifter as a quasi-joke quasi-serious adventure piece. I am going to send my players to a lost caribbean island were the local, who have been shut out from society for years, have begun to worship baseball. I think I will pattern it after that Tick episode with the baseball team thats lost in the Aztec ruins.
:fool:
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

And of course, there's this series by Phil Foglio. Read & enjoy.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”