Scarecrows and Librarians

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

demos606
Hero

Scarecrows and Librarians

Unread post by demos606 »

Well, in the proces of our play session today it occured to me that I really don't know enough about the link between scarecrows and librarians. How exactly does this work on a practical level? Can scarecrows "tap in" on other librarians or is the link specific to their creators? Also, just how far away is that link effective regardless of any other factors?
abtex
Champion

Re: Scarecrows and Librarians

Unread post by abtex »

demos606 wrote:Well, in the proces of our play session today it occured to me that I really don't know enough about the link between scarecrows and librarians. How exactly does this work on a practical level? Can scarecrows "tap in" on other librarians or is the link specific to their creators? Also, just how far away is that link effective regardless of any other factors?

That would information that we are all (well some of us maybe) waiting to be filled in. But for now use them as you want.

You do have a couple good and maybe scary ideas in your post.

One is:
Page 161 the term "his Librarian" is used so "tapping in" on other librarians, could mean that is a conspiracy of librarians. So how wide is the conspiracy or maybe the question should be "How wide do you need it to be?".
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Greg

Unread post by Greg »

I can add is that in the beginning of the book the Engineer tell-all specifically says that Librarians often become megalomaniacs at which point they're usually destroyed. Presumably Librarians are chosen like Engineers in that they're extremely intelligent and well-balanced at the beginning.

Under Scarecrows it says that when they go into withdrawal that the Librarian feels some of the pain and basically is at half for any sort of checks. I sort of inferred that any Librarian would generally only have one Scarecrow sort of as their Avatar (Librarians aren't particularly mobile) because of the possible backlash of something happening to multiple Scarecrows at once. Inversely if the Librarian died the Scarecrow probably would too, though maybe they could re-attune to a different Librarian if the initial shock didn't kill them.
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Hehe, I'm all too familiar with Librarians going megalo and taking their 'crows with em - we're using this as one of several plot elements (and something very similar to Slappy's sirens) in our campaign development. What we needed info on is the ability of 'crows to communicate with librarians other than the one that created them and at what range communication with librarians is possible.

As for how many crows a librarian will have, the stats on Barren Marsh (p 66) give a total population of 250000, 3 librarians, 2500 (1% of total) scarecrows. I can understand maybe a couple dozen crows per librarian but 800+ is a little hard to believe.

Return to “Splicers®”