Cost of gasoline.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

well, depends on location, and if you GM is nice and rules that some refineries and oil rigs survived.

now, if not, your stuck with scavenging gas from old gas station holding tanks, which makes it very rare and expensive.

however, alchohol based fuels would be very common and cheap, and require no special modifications to engines.

to make Ethenol fuel, all you need is grain, a still, and an alchohol refinery, all of which you can make easy.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

dukeofshadows wrote:I wonder why there aren't more methane-powered vehicles in Rifts, all you need is livestock dung for fuel and you're good to go for generating electricity and all the other things that go with it.

I agree. I mean, come on, hasn't anyone at PB seen Beyond Thunderdome? :lol:
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

and remember gas powered automobiles are pretty common. and even the RMB mentions some places that cheif industry was oil.

I say there are gas stations refurbrished and scattered all thoughout NA, but these are mega-crop/goverment owned instiuttions with all the bells and wistles of a small military base to protect it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

A modified diesel engine can run off of veggie oils fresh or used but a standard one would not (at least not for long or very well).

A normal gas engine will burn pure ethenol (grain alcohol i.e. Everclear) but this does make the engine run MUCH hotter and will (without extensive cooling mods) burn up the combustion chambers... ruining the engine in short order, probably few hundred miles at most.

Methane is a gas like hydrogen/propane and cannot be used with out EXTENSIVE AND COSTLY mods.

NitroMethane (a liquid) is funny car fuel and is wicked expensive (like $10 a gallon) even now. Used as fuel for a normal gasoline engine it would probably have the same effect as ethonol though even faster, burning out the combustion chambers in no time 'tall.

As a side note 80ml of nitromethane mixed into 430 grams of finely powered nitrogen base firtilizer makes improvized C-4 high-explosives with a detonation velocity of (IICR) about 22,000 feet per second (real C-4 is like 26,000 f/sec) enough to shatter concrete, peirce armor, blow a car to smithereans. just like real C-4 you need a detonator/ blasting cap to get it to go boom. It also absorbs water out of the air so one should keep it sealed once it is created and use it within about an hour or so, else it becomes an inert lump of smelly putty.

fun stuff :demon:
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Thinyser wrote:A modified diesel engine can run off of veggie oils fresh or used but a standard one would not (at least not for long or very well).

Actually...a diesel engine has to be modified to run on diesel fuel...the original design was created to run off of fuel the farmer grew in his own field... ;)

Seriously though, it's not as bad as you might think. There is one couple who went across the US a few years ago in a camper with a diesel. They obtained their fuel from truck stops along the way, cracked it on the spot (ending up with usable fuel and glycerine), poured it into the tank, and kept going. They didn't haev any problems, except the exhause smelled like french fries. After all, if YOU ran a fossil fuel conglomerate, would YOU hesitate to convince everyone to use your product over what they could create themselves? :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Sir Blayse
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Sir Blayse »

Gasoline is still available in Rifts,

El Dorado- has refineries and pipelines- that are guarded by the CS mentioned in main book, juicer uprising, and CS navy
Tampico, Mexico- has refineries and pipelines- has awesome vamp protection mentioned in vampire kingdoms and CS navy
Lone Star- has multiple refineries said book name
N Louisiana- oil fields galore
Alaska- vast oil reserve

Stock piles taken from Iraq and other conquered Middle eastern countries

Many others-

Fuel is just cost efficient- even in Rifts, most vehicles want last long enough to need a 10 to 20 yr nuclear power source
I ride for the poor, the sick, the ignorant, and the downtrodden. I fight for good and for the justice of those in need... And I will die with knowledge that I have done all I can and have no regrets!-Sir Blayse
Sir Blayse
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Cost of gasoline.

Unread post by Sir Blayse »

With the cost of gas as high as it is now, can you imagine how high it must be in Rifts...
Sorry, had to bring up an old post.
I ride for the poor, the sick, the ignorant, and the downtrodden. I fight for good and for the justice of those in need... And I will die with knowledge that I have done all I can and have no regrets!-Sir Blayse
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Sir Blayse wrote:With the cost of gas as high as it is now, can you imagine how high it must be in Rifts...
Sorry, had to bring up an old post.

No, you didn't.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by AdmTolval »

I using use an average of 10 credits a gallon for gas in large towns or those close to oil refineries. It can go up to 20 or more credits depending on the size of the town, distance between it and other cities, and the mood I'm in :D
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

K20A2_S wrote:How much does gasoline cost on Rifts Earth? On the oustide skirts of the burbs.

We aquired us a tank yesterday, it's gasoline powered.

Considering the Oil Barrons no longer run the North American Contienent ... less then 225 per gallon
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

For common things that are not listed in any book, I simply look at todays cost for the same (or similar) thing and convert 1:1 to credits.

So, if I were running a game and a player wanted to know how much gas was, Id tell him 3.5 credits per gallon.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Kagashi wrote:For common things that are not listed in any book, I simply look at todays cost for the same (or similar) thing and convert 1:1 to credits.

So, if I were running a game and a player wanted to know how much gas was, Id tell him 3.5 credits per gallon.

So I take it your use the prices around your neck of the woods as here its over 4.00 per gallon :x :badbad: :thwak: :nuke:
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Sir Blayse wrote:With the cost of gas as high as it is now, can you imagine how high it must be in Rifts...

let see...

much reduced useage (modern oil use is predominantly for power generation. when most of your surviving communities are medieval level or massive tech centers with acess to nuclear technologies....this means usage is effectively 0.) and there are not all that many ICE cars/planes/ships still in operation compared to today.

extensive use of alternative fuels (any agricultural community can produce ethenol and/or vegitable oils, which can be used to fuel vehicles and generators much more readily than gasoline or diesel), and nuclear power packs form the basis of nearly all military equipment.

so demand is very low.

now, countering that, you have the supply issue. very few groups actually pump oil in RIFTS, and the wells, refineries, are not common. so supply is low.

add to that you have the problem of protecting the wells, refineries, and moving the oil from the wells to the refineries and then shipping the refined products from there to the distributors and consumers. so overhead is high.

we don't have enough info to make a specific determinantion, but the price is likely to be, on average, lower than today. perhaps as low as it was last decade.

with stipulations of course. if close to an area with working wells and refineries (like texas), the price will be lower. if farther away (like say, Nebraska) the price will be higher.
of course, this ignores price gouging by merchants.

generally if oyur in an agricultural area with little oil, it will be more cost effective to buy Bio-fuels fro mthe farmers, while if in an agriculturally poor area that has oil, like texas, it will be more cost effective to buy oil based fuels.

if in an agriculturally poor and oil poor area, like arizona....lets just say you'd better buy that electric engine and solar recharger.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

It's worth pointing out that a lot of agricultural communities in the Great Plains can grow a LOT more than they need in terms of biomass. If they kept some of their equipment (especially irrigation and harvesting), they can pretty easily grow enough to supplement traded fuels, while still getting a surplus of food.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Mark Hall wrote:It's worth pointing out that a lot of agricultural communities in the Great Plains can grow a LOT more than they need in terms of biomass. If they kept some of their equipment (especially irrigation and harvesting), they can pretty easily grow enough to supplement traded fuels, while still getting a surplus of food.

or stick the extra into a still and make their own fuel. the main reason traditional bio-fuels haven't replaced oil in modern times is that they aren't very cost-effective to make in bulk, like we need.

for a small community, with limited actual need for fuels (a few generators, a couple of tractors and combines, maybe a car or two), it's more than possible to supply themselves using surplus grains.

and most communities would have a still, even if primarily for making moonshine (useful not only drinking, but for purifying water, cleaning, and medicinal use) that the stuff can be used to make a vehicle run is just one more useful application.

the oil products they're likely to trade for are things like brake fuid, lubricants, and other oil products of a similar nature that can't be replaced with locally made replacements.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Not to mention, probably the town generator would be a steam powered engine. With wood, coal, or some animal biproduct to burn, may be feasible. Or even the possibility of a town utilizing geo-thermal (geysers) or my personal favorite - a TK engine.
Library Ogre

My thought is that a lot of what is called a "gasoline" engine in Rifts is more of a "liquid fuel internal combustion" engine, more akin to a hypermodern diesel. It's not as picky about fuel (flexibility in what it could accept would be a big selling point post-apocalyptic, and would continue to be PA), meaning you can run on a mix of geo-oils, vege-oils, and some ethanol. It's probably not set up for LNG or propane, but few vehicles probably are... those fuel sources are likely used in-place, where they're mined, as a fuel source. If it's liquid at room temperature and burns, it's probably good for your engine.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Dude... Al... Twenty-eight minutes.

All Palladium Articles
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by AdmTolval »

Don't forget about the Coalition having oil fields and that merc company in Mexico being a major supplier also.

Return to “Rifts®”