Multiclassing with Magic

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

The thing with Rifts is, the way it is set up and how it has become, there's really no need (nor mechanic, really) for multiclassing. Everything just gets it's own OCC/RCC. If you want to make a character that has had some basic military/soldiering training and also uses magic, just use those two OCCs as a baseline to create a new one.

That being said, there are roleplaying/storyline reasons why multi/dual-classing will come up, and it should be allowed within reason. In your example, for instance, I agree with Matt that a MindMelter would be pretty much out of the question for become a mage, but a CS grunt (who has presumably had a major change in outlook) could become a mage. It would, as you said, take a lot of time, study, and training for him to do it, but there's no reason it wouldn't be possible.

As for how I'd handle it, in that case it would be fairly easy, since CS grunts have no special abilties/bonuses, etc. Simply freeze all his skills and have him start over as whatever magic-class he desires. Skils would be a bit trickier to handle, but I'd say to just give them the few new skills which seem the most "mandatory" for his new OCC, and from then on start following the new OCCs secondary/other list for choosing new skills. Any skills he currently has that are also available on his new OCCs skill list I would allow to continue increasing as he levels, but any that aren't are simply frozen at whatever skill level they were when he switched classes.

PigLick
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

you also better hope your former Grunt/soldier boy/whatever doesn't have any cybernetics. Which they are inclined to have.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Re: Requirements

Hobbes wrote:What should be required from the character? I mean, I'm actually thinking it should be possible for the Mind Melter too, just far more difficult.

How many months or years study would it take to become level 1 in another OCC, espcially magic?

And beyond that, it would be fair to limit the PPE, and spell knowledge, as well as a complete understanding of magic, right?

Also, have any of your characters, or characters in games you've played or run, multiclassed into a magic OCC after the fact?

As for the timeframe, I'd say a few years of dedicated studying with a dedicated teacher. If either the study or teacher is not full-time dedicated, it would of course take longer.

As for the limitations, that really depends. The argument could be made either way, but personally I don't see all that much of a need for it. his limitation will be that, relative to the rest of the party, he'll have given up a lot of time (which means experience) doing other things, and will therefore be well behind them level-wise. I don't see much of a reason to put any further limits on him. SPell knowledge is completely up to the GM, but I wouldn't see any reason to restrict his acces to spells any more than he would any other mage.

PigLick
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

No offence, but what's the point? :D

The 'melter wouldn't, 'cause he believes in his powers. Same reason the melter starts with few skills - due to his belief in his abilities, he doesn't TRY much at any other things. At least that's the theory from the flavour text... :lol:

As for the 'grunt...if he's a CS grunt, it would take something DRASTIC to make him view magic as a valid option and not something to be avoided at all costs.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Borast wrote:No offence, but what's the point? :D

The 'melter wouldn't, 'cause he believes in his powers. Same reason the melter starts with few skills - due to his belief in his abilities, he doesn't TRY much at any other things. At least that's the theory from the flavour text... :lol:

As for the 'grunt...if he's a CS grunt, it would take something DRASTIC to make him view magic as a valid option and not something to be avoided at all costs.

The thing is, those are both emotional/psychological reasons against the idea. Those reasons aren't good enough to me, because, especially when dealing with humans, there are no absolutes. People do change their mind, sometimes in very, very drastic ways. Perhaps that Mind Melter always believed in his superiority until he was schooled repeatedly by magic-wielders. As for the grunt, well...Rifts if rife with stories of CS troops "seeing the light" and going AWOL. It's really not at all hard to imagine. It may be rare, but is definitely not impossible.

It's true that the player should have a good, solid story and rationale behind the change, but as long as he does, and the GM is willing, there's no reason why not (well, actually, that's not true for the Mind Melter who I wouldn't allow to change to a magic-based class).

PigLick
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Re: Multiclassing with Magic

Unread post by Svartalf »

Hobbes wrote:I was recently toying with the idea of multiclassing a character with a magic class. I was wondering if it could be done. Magic is a learnt discipline, but normally, it takes years, mainly to learn to store PPE. Now, both CS Grunts and Mind Melters, for example, have very low PPE bases. So I was wondering if it was possible for them to learn magic. And how would you compensate for the dualclassing?

In good theory, that's just not possible .. now, with a comprehensive GM (ruling you're able to learn magic at all) it would take a) renouncing your former OCC (and as somebody said, better not have any cyber, that's BAD)

b) finding a teacher and getting him to teach you

c) spending between 5 and 10 years learning the stuff (the OCC skills for your new magic OCC as well as magic itself)

you would then be a 1st level magic OCC, but, since you didn't start as one, any experience you earn thereafter will be cut in half

(adapted from the PFRPG multiclassing rules)
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard

Return to “Rifts®”