Cyberknight question/mild complaint

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

They're not anti-CS per say, yes they have bonuses vs tech, but it's the kind of things that make sense for the OCC as far as I'm concerned. I like them much better now personally, and i've played quite a few wolfen cyber-knights since the game came out.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Yea, the "flavor" definitely changed in SOT:4. KS decided to emphasize the "Cyber" part of the character.

Some folks go so far as to say the upgrades ruin the original concept, but they're fine by me.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Myself I don't like what they did with the cyberknights. They remind too much of jedi imo.
Lucas

Momano Headhunter?

Unread post by Lucas »

If you want a teched-up warrior who specializes in fighting vampires and demons, take a look at the Momano Headhunter from Rifts Canada.

Of course, there probably should be Cyber-Knights who specialize in fighting the supernatural rather than the mundane. Maybe drop the anti-tech bonuses from the SoT Knight and add some of the Momano bonuses?
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

I think if they'd just been called Psi-Knights from the beginning we wouldn't have these problems...
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Cyber-Knights or Psi-Knights

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

I like the old AND the updated versions. 8) The increased abilities versus technology makes sense as it is now written.Although some of the "flavor" of the O.C.C. has been changed, it's nice to see the noble Knights had the brains to keep this techno-control power a secret for so long(50+ years is a good long time for a military secret!). :D As for the Psi-Sword...I like it as written. Maybe,just maybe, an additional 1D6 to start for the damage. Otherwise, it's good to go. :ok: I find that if you want a change to a more Psi-orientated Knight, its easy; Up the Psi-Sword damage :angel: , and/or more powers(minor)I.S.P.'s .
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I was considering making two types of Cyber-Knights. The listed Anti-Tech one in SOT:4, and my own Anti-Supernatural creation. The Anti-Sup would get the exact same advantages against supernatural creatures that the Anti-Tech one currently gets against technology.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Re: Cyber-Knights or Psi-Knights

Unread post by dark brandon »

Nightshade wrote:
GaredBattlespike wrote:I like the old AND the updated versions. 8) The increased abilities versus technology makes sense as it is now written.Although some of the "flavor" of the O.C.C. has been changed, it's nice to see the noble Knights had the brains to keep this techno-control power a secret for so long(50+ years is a good long time for a military secret!). :D As for the Psi-Sword...I like it as written. Maybe,just maybe, an additional 1D6 to start for the damage. Otherwise, it's good to go. :ok: I find that if you want a change to a more Psi-orientated Knight, its easy; Up the Psi-Sword damage :angel: , and/or more powers(minor)I.S.P.'s .

Agreed. I don't think the new powers make them less anti-monster simply better anti-tech. The concept I always had on the Cyber-knight more often emphasized the cyber rather than the Psi. The cyber-knights my friends and I played used tech and cybernetics to fight demons and the CS equally. The psi powers merely aided in that endeavor. They were never the focus. Admit it, it was a rare occasion for the cyber-knight to draw his psi-sword rather than his laser rifle.

These new powers against tech give them an edge they were sorely needing as the CS advanced to more and more powerful weaponry. Now they can compete against monsters AND CS tech.

I always took the Cyber to mean they were a more modern knight. not anti-tech. While I do admit I find it odd that cyberknights are more anti-tech than anti-monster/demon, it doesn't mean much in the long run.

Personally, I would like to see a nother variant of cyber-knights, kinda like the head hunters. You have the anti-tech ones and the anti-monster ones.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Rex
Wanderer
Comment: I'm back, I guess

Unread post by Rex »

I side with the idea that the CK's new powers just made them more ideal for anti-tech, it didn't make them ineffective against the supernatural.

Also, they needed some kind of shot in the arm. I probably would have thrown up if I saw the CK's given specialty OCC's. KS should be applauded for not doing that.

Before the CK was the thinker that could fight in the group. Fighters that didin't want to have to think should be Juicers. This change makes it so that people wanted to be Juicers because they couldn't become CK's. And not the other way around. Does that make any sense?
Rex, you are one helluva guy.
-Geronimo
never trust a man's post count... that's only an indication of his ability to write a lot of stuff - Svartalf
GP:5D6+502

Return to “Rifts®”