Sniping weapons

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

not really, what you got is about as good as their is. rifts is lacking good sniping weapons.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Naruni NE-75H Shoulder Cannon from the Three Galaxies Sourcebook...
Otherwise, go with what you've got or get a JA-11 or JA-9...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Re: Sniping weapons

Unread post by Brian Manning »

Illithid13 wrote:...currently I'm using a C18(?) lazar riffle...

You're using the C-12. C-18 is the pistol.

If you don't mind the sacrifice in strike bonus (+1 instead of a +3), I would suggest a pulse rifle. Even the small rifles do 6D6 on a pulse. I mean if you trick it out with the targeting system and a scope (to reduce any range penalties), you can put a decent amount of hurt onto your opponents. If you've got the cash, I suggest Wilks...they get an extra +1 because of the superior construction.

But sniping in Rifts probably has to be played out differently, though. Within the rules of the game, you're probbaly not going to score a one-hit kill (head or heart), so you have to change the tactics. incapacitation and damage to important equipment would probably serve you better. target the arms/hands since they have lower MDC generally, and you take that sucker out of the fight. aim for any weapons that seem to be giving your allies a problem. If you just incapacitate the guy with the missile rifle, then another grunt can just pick it up and still keep the firepower in the game...just take the rifle out, then they have to fall back on secondary weapons.

aim for explosives...I think that explains itself. ;)
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

ATL-7.

'nough said.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

The best rifle range you'll get is 6000 feet.
Now, the best damage is the NE-75H Shoulder Cannon.

Of course, I'd prefer to stick to a JA-9 (Juicer Variable Rifle, RMB), a JA-11 (Juicer Assassin Rifle, RMB), or the JA-12 (Juicer Assault Rifle, WB10: Juicer Uprisings). Nothing will satisfy a One Shot Kill weapon unless you can carry around Long Range Missiles, and even then those won't kill everything. In the end, you'll need to seek an alternate view of Sniping weapons.

That is until after I get through testing a new rule/feature that might make a lot of people happy who are hating MDC.
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
bigwhitehound

sniper

Unread post by bigwhitehound »

8) The important thing to remember in rifts or any other game with snipers is, the sniper isn't about power, (the one with the biggest guns dosn't always win), its about SKILL. One sniper with a JA-11, can take out a paltoon with one shot, by shooting the stack of mimi-missiles they made when they stopped for the night. In rifts espectialy, with MDC everywere a sniper must weight for the right moment to take his(or her) shot, (even a deadboys take of there armor from time to time).
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: Sniping weapons

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Illithid13 wrote:What makes a good sniping weapon? I'm looking for something with range, currently I'm using a C18(?) lazar riffle. It has a range of 2000 yards, and does 4d6 MDC/2d6 MDC/6d6 SDC. I've got a regular Sniper riffle that does 8d6 SDC with a range of 1 mile. I just need an MDC weapon with range. Do they exist? Help a noob out.

If you have not done so, check out Rifter #23 for a excellent article on sniping and CS Snipers in particular. Along with a decent sniper weapon.

For the ATL-7, it really is a one shot weapon, but pretty much a kill to. 3d6*10 MD with a 3000' range. Uses up all energy from a e-clip in one shot.

Another interesting Naruni weapon is from the recent "Wave 2" book. The NE-80 Slim-Line Lever Action Plasma Rifle: +1 Aimed shots, 2000' range, 8 shot capacity and does 1d4*10 MD.
And yes the NE-75H "Shoulder Cannon" is real good.

If you have access to the Japan book the AT-84 is also a good choice.

Though the JA-11 is, IMHO, the best out there.
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

I prefer the JA-11 for sniping because it has a setting for MDC and SDC that way I don't have to buy 2 different rifles. It has 2 different settings for laser one setting for ion beam and it fires single hand loaded 7.62mm sdc shells. This gun is on page 225 of the rifts main book.
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Larsen wrote:I prefer the JA-11 for sniping because it has a setting for MDC and SDC that way I don't have to buy 2 different rifles. It has 2 different settings for laser one setting for ion beam and it fires single hand loaded 7.62mm sdc shells. This gun is on page 225 of the rifts main book.

Ya and for those who ask what the use of the 7.62 might be... well, when my group and I were in Mexico, shooting vamps in the heart with silver bullets was the ticket.... you can also use ramjet rounds too...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Illithid13 wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:ATL-7.

'nough said.

Noob, so no, not enough said. give me the jucie details.

ATL-7 (Anti-Tank Laser Model 7)

south american, half mile range, one shot per E-clip.

3d6x10+20 MD per shot.

basically a laser boom gun.

of course, at one shot per clip, its a energy hog, but if you have enough E-clips, its great. just very rare, even in south america, so good luck finding one.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Before getting the rifter #?? the one with the TAG operative in it, my coalition PC group used to use a c-12 with the c-10 scope attached.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Use the Juicer rifles (JA-9 variable frequency rifle / JA-11 Sniper Rifle / JA-12 "One Man Army Rifle"). Each has a range of 4000 feet. Damage ranges from 2D6 to 1D6x10+ MDC.

Or, if you want truely destructive power in a "sniping" weapon...you have the NE-75H (2D4x10+20M.D.) with a 6000' range, or the NE-800R loaded with "smart" munitions (6D6x1/2/3/4) for a range of two miles. However, at 30 and 22 pounds apeice.

For nasty Terrestrial, you have the ATL-7 and I-11 from South America. However, the 30 and 28 pounds respectively. The ATL drains an entire e-clip per shot for 3D6x10+20M.D. with a 3000' range, and the I-11 fires 4000 feet for 1D6x10 with a payload of 10 shots.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Tyciol wrote:One problem I can see with the shoulder cannon... isn't it heavy or something? Sniper weapons need to be light enough to carry around easily so you can reposition yourself quickly after every shot. If you stay immobile, they'll find your position VERY quickly. Try playing Tribes II and see what I mean :)

Games one thing, rl's another. My team's sniper, call-sign Turtle, LOVED the .50 cal and it's no feather....

ifirite22

i'm a little new at this can anyone help?

Unread post by ifirite22 »

i am aassaian I could use some commrades to help me along the way.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Illithid13 wrote:Wow, all of these are great. I guess the one thing that I'm looking for is something with RANGE. Can any of you give me any of the ranges for the sugested weapons? I think I'm going to maybe take weapon engineering to make something up... I liked that one custom weapon mentioned.

You want range? You want power? You want something that WON'T get you shot on sight by a CS patrol? There's only one weapon for you. The I-11 Long Gun (RGMG, pg. 164). It has a 4,000 ft range, hits for 1D6x10 MD, gets a +1 to hit, and takes a 10 shot e-clip that can be recharged anywhere. What's not to like about it?
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Dead Boy wrote:You want range? You want power? You want something that WON'T get you shot on sight by a CS patrol? There's only one weapon for you. The I-11 Long Gun (RGMG, pg. 164). It has a 4,000 ft range, hits for 1D6x10 MD, gets a +1 to hit, and takes a 10 shot e-clip that can be recharged anywhere. What's not to like about it?

It Won't get you shot by the CS?? hummm... remember that this model is just about unknown north of Colombia... when the CS see an unknown party armed with a strange weapon, I'm not sure they will ask questions... shoot first and ask question if there are any survivors left to take captive.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Tyciol wrote:Leave it as is. Kevin should have given CJ more freedom, everything I've seen published by him (including NIGHTBANE) has been excellent. I wish I could have seen the original Psyscape...

No, his STORY stuff was excelent, but the damage his weapons did and the MDC armors had was a bit over the top.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Illithid13 wrote:Wow, all of these are great. I guess the one thing that I'm looking for is something with RANGE. Can any of you give me any of the ranges for the sugested weapons? I think I'm going to maybe take weapon engineering to make something up... I liked that one custom weapon mentioned.

Try the Provider (found on p. 75 of Dinosaur Swamp). 4000ft range, 1D6 MD, and has a good bonus. It does has some drawbacks, but the flavor/style is perfect for a sniper.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

Try the Xiticix TK rifle from the back of the main book.
-4000' range (doubled or tripled for ley lines & nexai)
-4d6md (doubled or tripled for ley lines & nexai)
-40 blasts/20ppe (very cheap, and unlimited payload)
-people can't see where you are shooting them from.
-kill a Xiticix and its free.
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

G wrote:Try the Xiticix TK rifle from the back of the main book.
-4000' range (doubled or tripled for ley lines & nexai)
-4d6md (doubled or tripled for ley lines & nexai)
-40 blasts/20ppe (very cheap, and unlimited payload)
-people can't see where you are shooting them from.
-kill a Xiticix and its free.

Only trouble :

-you need to be a mage, psychic, or other mystical being to use it.
-to kill one xiticix, you might have to kill quite a few more.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

There are some better weapons out there then the Coalition weapons. The K-4 Rifle in WB2 is light weight at 4lbs, does 3d6+6 on a single shot, 1d6x10+6 for a three shot pulse with a +1 to strike on an aimed shot, and a range of 3000ft! Much better then the standard CS sniper.

In the same book you also have the Kittani Energy Lance at a whopping 20lbs but doing 3d6 at 6000ft, or 6d6 at 3000ft, and does mdc damage as a melee weapon. Plus it recharges itself.!

Finally, also in the same WB2 is the TW Plasma Rifle for the sniper with a Techno Wizard inside. It does 6d6 at 3000ft, but on a ley line or nexus it does double the damage, and double the range!

Another option is the Pre-Rifts weapon the C-10 was based on the NEMA LSR-250, which does 2d6, or 4d6(heavier shot, not a pulse) out to 3000ft. The big advantage is +3 on an aimed shot. This would be a rare, rare gun, but since it was replaced as NEMA's primary rifle some should have survived in a cache. I know it is a stretch, but pre-rifts equipment always shows up.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Coric

Unread post by Coric »

ok, i havent read all 3 pages but take a look at the glitter girl's weapon, AP rounds and a plasma thrower, no recoil and virtually noisless... i think, any hoo, it's big and shoulder mounted, like any GB weapon, but it has some nice tricks, its in free Quebeq... enjoy i think its QST-104 is the name...
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

The GG gun is a bit on the heavy side for a sniper weapon weighing in at over 500 lbs.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

theran_mage24 wrote: its in free Quebeq...

While not Quebecois, I think I should point out it is spelled Quebec... ;)

Also, the gun in question, while nice, few people would be able to use it. I think the originator of the thread was looking for something a person not in power armour could use. :D
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Also, just because you can carry something, does NOT mean you can use it! :lol:

Some of theose guns'd break your shoulder every time you fired it! :shock:
Fnord

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

BrokenChild wrote:Kevin Simbedia himself said that the weapons in the South Americas were a bit overpowered and that its because he gave CJ Carella too much freedom as a writer. He said that to even it out reduce all MDC by 25%

KS also edited those books and from what we've heard toned the numbers down to how they appear in the book. So he has no one to blame but himself.
He also said it was optional.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

:badbad: Everyone realize they can get in trouble for putting the stats down? Your breaking copy right on a board that belongs to the company your violating. Why don't you just give book and page number or fluff that way the Mind Flayer can go out and buy the book if he doesn't have it or find it himself.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Temporalmage
Hero

Unread post by Temporalmage »

Tyciol wrote:Besides, guns suck, it's magic ancient weapons that own everything.

:lol: Ok, you get your fabulous greater rune sword of atlantis and a matched one for your paired weapons skill. I'll take a boom gun. Since you challanged me I get to pick the terrain. I'll say a nice flat open space at say.... two miles. Ready? GO! :lol:
Didn't like that one? Ok! Ok! You get the same swords. I'll take a weapon that does not require power armor or excess st to use. Any of like 20 differant rifles, commonly available, that is capable of doing 1D6x10 MD, if not more. We'll start at 4000 ft. Ready? GO! :lol:
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy

Return to “Rifts®”