NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Here is one I made up...sort of based on the FF powers in the books. But with my own twist for those Heros who don't like wearing their spandex under their normal clothes.

Create Force Clothing--this minor power creates clothing force constructs about the hero. The shape of the clothing is only limited to the hero's imagination. However, sometimes things don't work out. But the hero can have one set pattern per level, of clothing that they have practiced in making and can always make. Can be used to create armor but it dose create a full body field, but it looks like armor of some type, with a nat AR 4. Making a set of clothes takes two actions, but if the hero already has a set made the actions just morphs the set they have into what they are trying for, but when changing between clothes and armor, the currant set of clothes (or armor), the clothes or armor evaporates leaving the hero w/o any protection showing off what is underneath. this lasts for about 2 seconds or one attack.

Create FC clothing: 45+5...a failed roll means the clothing dose not look the way the hero wants it to. having a full length mirror available while making/changing the clothing adds 30% to the skill roll, and the fashion skill adds 10%
range: self
duration; constant
SDC-- PE x Level=SDC
Armor AR: Natural AR 4
SDc recovery-- renews sdc while sleeps a full nights sleep (a full 8 hours of sleep, if only gets 6 hours then only 1/2 the damaged sdc gets recovered)
Limitations: It takes up one attack & -2 init to maintain the armor, but no penalties to maintain clothing.
Note: in rifts the SDC is converted to MDC
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Well if Thagema is giving up on this project I hope someone else steps up and records these powers.
If there are no other takers, I'll put them on my site.. but they would be better if added to a larger collection don't you think?

BTW Thagema, did you leave behind a gaming group when you left New Orleans?
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Chamalkan. Your power can show promise if you post the actual power. From what I've seen from this thread, we're looking for powers with fully fleshed out stats, bonuses, durations, etc... We're looking for powers that are play-test capable. For example, your power seems to be alter limbs with just some specifiers. A combinant power should include parts of both powers combined, with consideration on balance. No insult intended, but give the power(s) some meat before you post it.

For everybody in general; I really enjoy this thread, and I intend to keep it a current one. If if it's just redundant discussions on power submissions/posts, I will engage in pointless rhetoric just to keep this thread alive.

There is a lot of imagination and hard work presented here. Congratulations to all who have posted their ideas, and congratulations to all who have posted, period.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Don't leave the thread thagema. Some of your posted powers I use in my games because I like them and found they work. Keep posting new ideas just for the sake of posting them.
Last edited by MrTwist on Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

Chamalkan wrote:How about

APS Mechanica

This power is similar to a combination of APS Metal and Body Weapons but with a major difference.

The character seems to transform himself into a living Robot. Gears, pistons, wires and mechanical fluids replace bone flesh and blood making them tough, and resistant to injury.

The character also has the ability to change their limbs into mechanical tools or weaponry like circular saws and wheels but they have to select one shape for each limb and stay with it. this means that for each limb, they're stuck with a 'normal' limb and one 'special feature.

Needs touchup but otherwise how is it?

my thoughts on fleshing this out.. i like the idea, alot though.
either you can use the robots section to make a robot with a few million and be able to change forms to the robot, or just give normal power stats.

HF: 12, +2 when transformation is witnessed or when one limb is transformed.
AR: 14 (natural)
SDC: +200
PS: +10 (superhuman)
PE: +2
PB: -1d6
Spd: triple running speed
Leaping: 50ft long, 30 ft high.
Pick 5 of following options:
-jet rocket feet: 60mph 1 hr/level
-extra armor: +2 AR or +100SDC
-strength boost: can boost to supernatural levels for 1 melee/level once for every 5 PE points per day.
-advanced optics: minor powers of advanced sight and nightvision.
-advanced audio: minor power of heightened hearing, radio receiver.
-combat optics: robot targeting sight, robot laser targeting.
-projector eyes: movie projector and video camera w/1 hour recording time per 2 points of IQ.
-computer mind: internal calculator, clock/calender (accurate to 1/100 seconds), robot combat computer.
-extra sensors: robot micro radar, motion detector, radar & radiation detector.
-weapon eyes: two fire linked robot lasers.
-weapon limb: robot spike and towline
-weapon limb: laser arm, 1500', 5d6
-weapon limb: rifle arm, 2000', 4d6
-weapon limb: sword arm, 3d6 +ps bonuses

weapon limbs can be formed out of the mechanical hand and arm and can be selected twice to use the same weapon on two arms. one weapon limb can also be formed from the human hand and arm, but the connection is a gruesome (painless) combination of metal, tubes, meat and bones.
weapon limb guns can shoot a number of times per hour equal to PEx2.
any robot or bionic sensors or weapons can be selected as another option.

thoughts? i feel like im missing something big that should be in here..
but maybe not. :)

P.S. Edit: some bonuses to poison and maybe psionics when in mechanica form would seem appropriate.
Last edited by Yukon on Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Just a guess.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

ZEN wrote:I like the Mechanical transformation.. hows this for the write up?
One word: Awesome.

Its like I submitted a power, and it got improved and put into PU3.

I knew it wasn't polished, but you took it up to level 15!
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mr Scorpio »

Iczer wrote:Some new ones. what do you all think?

Alter Limbs:
The character can transmute his four limbs into a hardened structure, capable of outperforming his flesh and blood limbs. The limbs might turn to wood, or steel or stone, or even high tensile plastics.

[snip]

Alter personal Mass:
The character with this power can make adjustments to his normal weight, to provide several benefits in and out of combat.

[snip]

All 3 are very good but I really like these two. I'll add them to my personal collection. Thanx.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

ZEN wrote:I like the Mechanical transformation.. hows this for the write up?

Alter Physical Structure: Mecha.

Woah! To quote Yukon: Awesome.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Looking over the APS: Mecha, I do find that I like it. Here's a suggestion or two, though.

Drop the "Pick 5 of the following" part. Change to 1d4. Add "Pick another ability at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15" Most(but not all) APS powers have things that increase every level. Usually referring to their damge-based powers.
Add in, to some optional abilities, the ability to take them twice. Maybe increase jet speed by 50mph per extra ability slot used. Also, some of the weapon limbs could be 'upgraded'. Maybe if the same weapon limb is chosen twice, it gains +1d6 or something. I'm kind of thinking along the lines of Riathenor weapon advancement, as per AUGG.

BTW- When I posted my NS-EE powers, I mentioned I was still working on one. What does everyone think? Be mindful, it may never work right in a game situation, but when it does......

Non-Standard Energy Expulsion: Entropy Field
Let's face it, things sometimes just don't work the way they are supposed to. The super being with this power creates a zone of failure around themselves, a zone where things just don't work the way they should. Around this character, things just tend to break down(wow, I'm being very redudant). Visually, this manifests as a field around the character where the light seems to darken so it seems like a storm is coming.
Area of Effect: 15ft radius, centered on the character. Add 5ft to the radius for each level beyond 1.
Damage: None directly.
Duration: Concentration. The character using this power can only take actions to defend themselves. Any action taken for defense uses no bonuses beyond PP. Any damage taken may cause this power to be disrupted. Any damage taken below the user's ME will not affect usage of this power. Any damage taken above the user's ME may cause a failure of this power equal to a 10+(2x damage)% chance of this power failing. Remember to subtract the user's ME from the damage before deciding whether or not the power fails. Roll for each action in which damage is taken.

Effect by category;

Mechanical:
This applies to all devices based upon machines. Within this field, there is a 1-60% chance that any given machine will fail. Cars cannot function, computers do nothing, power armor loses power, guns do not work, etc... While not certain, this can be used to help defuse bombs or alarms.

Super Powers:
Super powers just seem to degrade in effectiveness, or fail altogether in the radius. 1-15% chance of complete power failure in the radius. 1-30% chance of degredation in the field. Failure means negation of the power. Degredation means the power suffers a 50% reduction in all numerical based aspects of the power. For powers that are entirely non-numerical, assume nothing happens. For powers with both numerical and non-numerical based effects, the numerical based effects are reduced by 50%, but the non-numerical based are unaffected.

Psionics:
Psionics have a 1-20% chance of failure in the field. Psionics that have an origin beyond the field's area are affected as noted below. There is no chance of degredation; they work or they do not.

Magic & Spells:
Within the field, magic spells have a 1-30% chance of failure. Magically bestowed abilites have a 1-10% chance of negation, and a 1-20% chance of degredation. For purposes of degredation, assume all numerically based effects are reduced by 50%. Non-numerical based effects are unaffected.

Note 1- Alien natural abilities are affected by this power, as per category affected.

Note 2- Any of these categories that originate outside of the field, specifying a target within the field suffer only a 1-15% chance of failure. If the original chance of failure is less than that, use the least chance of failure as a guideline.

Note 3- Non-power specific actions WITHIN the field(not including the being using this power) suffer a -2 or -8% modifier. If originating outside of the power, but affecting a target within, reduce to -1 or -4%(depending on the action and what roll is used to determine it's success).

Bonuses:
+1d4 to ME
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Oh, yeah. Add this to the power.

Note 4:
Whether or not this power affects a specific <whatever> is determined by the roll of the die. Beyond that, the percentages shown by this power are determined BEFORE the first die roll made in any melee round still being concentrated on. The effects last until the end of the current melee round. So a gun that fails within a certain melee round is useless until the end of that same melee round. After that round is over, the chance of failure is re-rolled. Objects that fulfill more than one category are affected with the lesser of either chance of failure, or degredation. If degredation exists within one category, but not the other(s), chance of degredation still applies as per the least chance of whatever category(minimum lowest chance of degredation applicable).

Note 5:
If a specific object fails to function within the confines of the AOE, then assume all sub-functions are likewise affected. For example, if the roll shows a Power Armor fails to function, all abilities associated with that Power Armor ALSO fail to function. If not, all sub-systems used within that round are treated separately. So, if a Magical Weapon fails to work, so do all it's powers. If it does keep working, all sub-abilities are treated separately to see whether or not they function.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

All the calculations would be a pain in the butt. But, in my defense(I think), I was extremely drunk when I thought it up and posted it. I'm surprised I actually posted it. Very drunk.

To make things simpler, I guess I could break it down and just give everything in the radius the same base chance of failing. Like, 1-10% chance plus the character's ME attribute plus 3% per level. Things that do fail get a saving throw(ME bonuses included, if applicable) vs 13 +1 at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

MrTwist wrote:[snip]

Here's a couple powers I'll post when I have some time to figure them out.
Matter Transmutation(major)

[snip]

Hey Twist, (I gotta ask) are you still working on this one? I've been hoping you would put it up since I saw your post.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

MrTwist wrote:Looking over the APS: Mecha, I do find that I like it. Here's a suggestion or two, though.

Drop the "Pick 5 of the following" part. Change to 1d4. Add "Pick another ability at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15" Most(but not all) APS powers have things that increase every level. Usually referring to their damge-based powers.
Add in, to some optional abilities, the ability to take them twice. Maybe increase jet speed by 50mph per extra ability slot used. Also, some of the weapon limbs could be 'upgraded'. Maybe if the same weapon limb is chosen twice, it gains +1d6 or something. I'm kind of thinking along the lines of Riathenor weapon advancement, as per AUGG.

Forgot to mention that these are all excellent changes.
8-)
Little Sculptures
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Basemonger wrote:Chamalkan just messaged me about this... geez you guys, you got him all excited! I'll never hear the end of it! :>

I think this power needs to be credited to both Yukon and Chamalkan, maybe a mention to Mr Twist as well?
Little Sculptures
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

ZEN wrote:
Basemonger wrote:Chamalkan just messaged me about this... geez you guys, you got him all excited! I'll never hear the end of it! :>

I think this power needs to be credited to both Yukon and Chamalkan, maybe a mention to Mr Twist as well?

yourself, as well.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Mr Scorpio wrote:
MrTwist wrote:[snip]

Here's a couple powers I'll post when I have some time to figure them out.
Matter Transmutation(major)

[snip]

Hey Twist, (I gotta ask) are you still working on this one? I've been hoping you would put it up since I saw your post.

Well, it's been in the back of my mind for a little. When I think of something a little more solid I'll drop it. I've been wanting to design something, but unfortunately I'm having problems finding a way to make it balanced enough for use. It'd be simple enough to throw out something like this

Matter Transmutation(Major)
With this power, the character has the ability to manipulate the very atomic structure of matter. By sheer mental will, the super being can reshape almost any form of matter into almost any other form.
Range: Touch only.
Duration: 5 minutes per level of experience. Can be made permanent at the expense of 1 PE and 1d6 HP. This payment is lost forever, no matter what happens to the affecte item.
Effect: One form of matter can be reshaped into another. Because I will not repost information available in HU2 under the power of Copy Physical Structure, that power can be used as a guideline.
Amount Able to be Affected: 50lbs per level of experience.
Note: Magical materials can NOT be changed by this power, nor can another form of matter be changed into them. Any attempt to do so(and unless they try it once, the character most likely will NOT know the results) causes the character to be blown by 10ft per 50lbs of material, and take 3d6 damage of pure magical force.
Note 2: The character cannot switch matter into a substance they know nothing about. That is to say, a character without any pertaining skills would not know enough about nuclear weapons to turn a pencil into so much weapons grade plutonium.
Note 3: Any item changed into an element with a half-life(yes, this may require some forethought to make sure these figures are handy) that exists long enough to degrade, will degrade back into the original material.
Note 4: Any object that is attempted to be changed that is connected to a living creature is given a save vs. magic, with only PE bonuses as applicable, to avoid changing.

Now that is what I have going through my head right now. It seems fine, then I think to myself that this power can be abused. Considerations such as what it can affect, and what the limits are on what can be changed into. Mainly along the lines of single element, multiple element, elements that have wildly different melting/freezing points("I touch the man's body armor and turn it into mercury"), or substances with interesting properties("The villain with APS:Liqiud went behemoth? Darn. Wait, I pick up a rock and turn it into a dessicant, then throw it at him."). To be honest, the player turning every little trinket they pull out of quarter machine into either diamond or platinum doesn't worry me as much as who turns lighter power armors or robots into helium.

Maybe I worry too much, but I think you get the idea. While even, I think, Kevin said some powers are much more powerful than others, but sheer potential for abuse is staggering. Maybe someone else has a much better idea on how to make it work.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Maigo, I do like your powers. The Total Energy Sense is very imaginative and shows great promise. The first problem I saw was in the description itself. The ability to sense all non-kinetic energy forms includes a whole boatload of things. You may want to clarify things a little more than that. Mainly, drop the non-kinetic part and change it into non-visible light.

Beyond that, just consider the many different forms of energy being produced at any given moment. I'm not a physics major, or even good at it, but the sensory overload possibilities are scary. Gravitational, electrical and magnetic(considered by some, in higher dimensions at least, to be two parts of the same force), radioactive, sonic(vibratory, which can be considered kinetic), heat(which by your non-kinetic wording is ruled out, as from what I've learned temperature is a function of motion), non-visible light spectrums, radio waves, and other forms I really can't think of right now(including those energy forms postulated in many pseudo-scientific studies and reports, ones that may or may not exist). In a world that is partly fantasy, don't forget to include psionic and magical energies. Basically what I'm saying is that the amount of sheer information flooding the character's senses is inconceivable.

Here's a suggestion to keep that a bit under control. Drop the all-inclusive portion of the sensing. Modify it thus;

Energy Forms Sensed: The character can sense a limited amount of different forms of energy forms at once. The maximum amount of forms that can be perceived at once is 2 forms at first level, plus one additional form at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15. Changing energy forms requires one melee round per form of energy changed.
Burnout: In times of need, the character can attempt to perceive more energy forms than normally available to them at any given time. To do so, they must make a save against a difficulty of 12 +1 per energy form above and beyond the amount allowed. There are no bonuses to this save, and this save must be made by the GM. The results of this save are not to be revealed to the player. If the save is failed, they still perceive the additional forms. After a period of time determined, in melee rounds, equal to the character's ME attribute bonuses vs. psionics, they pass out from strain. The information is just too much for them to handle.
Energy Forms:
Different types of energy forms include, but are not limited to, the following;
Electrical
Radioactive
Radio Waves
Sonic
Vibratory
Heat
Magnetic
Magical
Psionic
Emotional
Karmic: Alignment(along the lines of being able to see alignment)
Karmic: Luck(changes in the nautral order that affect how luck plays out, such as Karmic Power and things that manipulate chance)
Chi
PPE
Super Powered
Phasic(see Phase World, and some temporal spells from Rifts:England for examples)
Ultraviolet
Non-specific Dimensional Energies(rifts and anything inter-dimensional)
Invisble Force(non-visible fore fields, Force Constructs, and such)

Energies not specified on this list can be mentioned by GM discretion. Also, these energy forms listed are for energies currently in existance. Residuals are considered a seperate form of energy, but are specific as to which form of energy they pertain to. Visual light can NOT be sensed with this power. And since this power overrides normal sense, the character is essentially blind in regards to normal sight. There are no penalties because they compensate themselves, usually, with a combination of senses that make up it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know, I may be nit-picking things. But, I'm just being honest with my initial thoughts when looking at the power. With Maigo's permission, I can take some time and post a more fleshed out version.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Supervision: Energy Patterns(major or minor)The super being with this power has the odd ability to perceive energy patterns. These energy patterns are as visible to the hero as visible light is to everybody else.
Range: 1000ft + 200ft per level.
Patterns sensed simultaneously: As a Major power 2 patterns + 1 pattern per additional level beyond 1. As a minor power 1 pattern per level of experience.
Energy Patterns:
Infrared
Ultraviolet
Radioactive
Radio Waves(may not be a good idea. There are a lot of these bouncing around. Maybe limited to certain ranges of frequency)
Temperature
Electrical
Magnetic
Sonic
Vibratory
Magical
Psionic
Super-powered(limited to seeing those powers currently in effect)
Phasic(see rifts Phase World and Rifts England)
Non-visible Force(force fields and the like)
Emotional
Chi
PPE levels
Karmic: Alignment
Pure Energy(like that created by certain EE powers)
Other patterns not listed
Notes:
Some of these energy patterns may be very closely related in strict science terms. Suspend science for the sake of the game. Think more in terms of comic book related terms. Sometimes things don't exactly make sense. :)
Also, switching between energy patterns takes 1 minute of concentration. The amount of patterns the character has available to switch between is equal to their ME bonus to save vs. psionics. For characters with this as a major power, visible light is also available. For those with this power as a minor, visible light cannot be sensed. Effectively, they are blind in regards to normal sight.
This power can be ccombined with other supervision powers.
Bonuses:
Minor:
+1 ME
+3 to dodge what can be seen.
Major:
+2 ME
+3 to dodge what can be seen.
Can auto-dodge sources of attack involving energy patterns(not including visible light) they can sense.

Might not be perfect, but what do you think Maigo?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Its a big downer to have posted a new power and not to have anybody comment on it.

That APS; Mecha.....now that would make a good nightbane table. :) :D
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

MrTwist wrote:Well, it's been in the back of my mind for a little. When I think of something a little more solid I'll drop it. I've been wanting to design something, but unfortunately I'm having problems finding a way to make it balanced enough for use. It'd be simple enough to throw out something like this

Matter Transmutation(Major)
With this power, the character has the ability to manipulate the very atomic structure of matter. By sheer mental will, the super being can reshape almost any form of matter into almost any other form.

[snip]

To be honest, the player turning every little trinket they pull out of quarter machine into either diamond or platinum doesn't worry me as much as who turns lighter power armors or robots into helium.

Maybe I worry too much, but I think you get the idea. While even, I think, Kevin said some powers are much more powerful than others, but sheer potential for abuse is staggering. Maybe someone else has a much better idea on how to make it work.

Ah, I can see how it could be easily abused. Probably why Palladium hasn't put up one of their own so far. Hopefully some one can come up with a way to keep it in check. Thanks (once again) Twist. I do appreciate the effort you keep putting into this.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Ben Quash wrote:Its a big downer to have posted a new power and not to have anybody comment on it.

That APS; Mecha.....now that would make a good nightbane table. :) :D

Sorry about that Ben. Some times we don't allways pay enough attention to every one. :(

Anyway:
Create Force Clothing--this minor power creates clothing force constructs about the hero. The shape of the clothing is only limited to the hero's imagination. However, sometimes things don't work out. But the hero can have one set pattern per level, of clothing that they have practiced in making and can always make. Can be used to create armor but it dose create a full body field, but it looks like armor of some type, with a nat AR 4. Making a set of clothes takes two actions, but if the hero already has a set made the actions just morphs the set they have into what they are trying for, but when changing between clothes and armor, the currant set of clothes (or armor), the clothes or armor evaporates leaving the hero w/o any protection showing off what is underneath. this lasts for about 2 seconds or one attack.

Create FC clothing: 45+5...a failed roll means the clothing dose not look the way the hero wants it to. having a full length mirror available while making/changing the clothing adds 30% to the skill roll, and the fashion skill adds 10%
range: self
duration; constant
SDC-- PE x Level=SDC
Armor AR: Natural AR 4
SDc recovery-- renews sdc while sleeps a full nights sleep (a full 8 hours of sleep, if only gets 6 hours then only 1/2 the damaged sdc gets recovered)
Limitations: It takes up one attack & -2 init to maintain the armor, but no penalties to maintain clothing.
Note: in rifts the SDC is converted to MDC

So the character is able to create clothing (and armor) of whatever color and texture he wishes? That would be cool. Only a couple of things I would think about changing: First, I think you could get away with upping the AR a bit, maybe adding for every couple of levels or something as the character gets better with the power. That and maybe a set amount of SDC, like 30 or so also with a bonus for higher levels.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Mr Scorpio wrote:
Sorry about that Ben. Some times we don't allways pay enough attention to every one. :(

So the character is able to create clothing (and armor) of whatever color and texture he wishes? That would be cool. Only a couple of things I would think about changing: First, I think you could get away with upping the AR a bit, maybe adding for every couple of levels or something as the character gets better with the power. That and maybe a set amount of SDC, like 30 or so also with a bonus for higher levels.

Well I wrote to be a minor power, so I didn't want to make it Too pwoerfull. That is why I had it linked to the Hero's PE. As for the AR....it is a NAR....so the armor takes the damage and can't be by passed with a Nat 20 or other high roll just can't by pass it like is possible with Armor of ithan....(.which is almost totally useless in a heros setting).

I used a modified CFC ina game (the GM did the mods) and the char started out with 200 sdc w/o any level bonuses.

Though the best part of it is that it lest you get away with using your imagination and come up with clothing that is like the outlandishe costumes in hero settings like DC, Marval, Anime, etc...
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

how about this...

MATTER EXPULSION: MEAT

the character has the truly disturbing power to create constructs of living flesh and bone. this manifests in a number of useful abilities.
1) bone weapons: the character can create jagged bone weapons of lethal quality. they do 2d6 more than a normal weapon of that type, but they break if they do more than 1.5x their normal damage.
att./melee: it takes one action to create each weapon, regardless of size. duration:um.. until they break?
2)bone armor: the character can cover himself in a flexible carapace of bone and cartilage, to protect against bodily damage.
ar:12
sdc: 60+5/lv.
att/melee: it takes 2 actions to create the armor, and lasts until dismissed.
3)meat armor: the character can also cover himself in a veritable cocoon of flesh to protect and enhance himself. the armor gives the character resistance to heat and cold(1/2 dmg), enhances his strength by 10 and makes it superhuman, increases pe by 10, and gives the character resistance to blunt trauma. the suit is directly connected to the character's nervous system, so it does not limit his movement in the slightest.
note: both armors can be worn at once, but it effectively reduces the character's pb to 1.
4)create meat-sims:the character can concentrate to create a fully functional human being, using 60 pts+5/lv to place among the 7 stats, excluding pb, which is only limited to the characters me. this fleshy marionnette starts with 2 att/rnd, but these can be increased at the rate of 1/10pts. to a maximum of 4. the character can also give the meat-sim any mutant characteristic at a cost of 5 pts., up to a maximum of 3 characteristics. also, the character can instill one skill(no skill that the character doesnt posess) per 2 lvls into the meat-sim at a cost of 15 pts. each skill is at the original's %-20.
duration: each marionnette lasts a number of hours equal to it's starting pb. this trait will go down by one each hour, until 0, at which point the marionnette rapidly decomposes into a cloud of methane gas.
att/rnd: it takes an entire round to create a meat-sim, but only 3att for 1/2 points.

have to go now , tell me what you think and give suggestions :D
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

thagema wrote:Duplicity
This powerful ability allows the being to duplicate, temporarily, various attacks, items or his self.

[snip]

3. Duplicate Self
Range: Self, the duplicate must remain be within 15 feet of the creator
Duration: One melee action
Cost per use: Two melee actions
This potent ability allows the duplicator to create a copy of himself for one melee action. The duplicate will have all the original’s attributes, equipment, and powers, except the ability to duplicate himself. At level one, only a single duplicate can be created. Another copy can be created at levels 5, 10 and 15.

[snip]

Hey thagema I really like this one :D The only question I have is about the duration of Duplicate Self. Does it really only last one melee action? I'd like to see it last a couple of melee rounds at least. Otherwise, great job :D
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

i dont mean to sound rude, but does anyone have any suggestions for matter expulsion: meat?
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

ZEN wrote:Well done, I am glad you decided to stick around on this thread Thagema.

As am I.

brannigan's law wrote:i dont mean to sound rude, but does anyone have any suggestions for matter expulsion: meat?

Ummmm....well....some of it struck me as a little strange.......

brannigan's law wrote:1) bone weapons: the character can create jagged bone weapons of lethal quality. they do 2d6 more than a normal weapon of that type, but they break if they do more than 1.5x their normal damage.
att./melee: it takes one action to create each weapon, regardless of size. duration:um.. until they break?
2)bone armor: the character can cover himself in a flexible carapace of bone and cartilage, to protect against bodily damage.
ar:12
sdc: 60+5/lv.
att/melee: it takes 2 actions to create the armor, and lasts until dismissed.

I liked this part. Seems like they would be two seperate powers - Matter Expulsion:Bone maybe? Not sure there should be extra damage on the bone weapons. I mean Matter Expulsion: Metal only adds an extra 1D6 to melee weapons created with it.

The Meat Armor seems a little much but if you like it I say go for it. The Meat Sims sub-power seems to be powerful enough that it should be a power by itself. I mean, it lets you create fully functional human beings with their own mutant characteristics.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

ZEN wrote:Nice write up, however it could do with some expansion on just what each energy pattern enables the super being to do (that is not immediately obvious that is).

Reminds me of the scene in Predator 2, where the alien flips through the visual spectrum using it's helmet optics and gets a bit of a shock at the sneaky humans hiding from it in the meat shed.
I can just picture the Super Hero scanning through the spectrums available until something pops out and says 'Boo'.
8-)

Well, a few of the different visions may be hard to determine. Use Maigo's original percentage calculation(as per sense emotion) for determining seeing Emotional and Karmic: Alignment. For Chi just assume you can see the ambient level and nature of the area's Chi, along with abnormalities in people/objects/etc... Same thing goes for PPE. Useful for picking out the mage. With Magic and Psionic assume you can see current sources. So, if someone is currently under the effect of a spell or psionic power, you could see it. You would probably need some kind of Lore skill in order to determine what exact spell or power it may be. Actually, that applies to super powers also.

Did I miss anything?
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

brannigan's law wrote:i dont mean to sound rude, but does anyone have any suggestions for matter expulsion: meat?

I started to write something, looked back and realized I almost wrote exactly what Mr. Scorpio had down.

Break it apart into three powers. Suggestions for names. Move the Meats Sims off by itself. Call it Create Flesh Constructs or something. Expand your point-based creation rules along the lines of that power. While Matter Expulsion: Bone(or Flesh) makes sense as it is a variation on the current ME powers, just the idea of Matter Expulsion: Flesh just sounds very wrong. It would take some time, but I could come up with something.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I've been busy with other things, so I haven't posted in awhile. Hence the multiple posts.

Nice to hear from you again thagema. Duplicity is very nice, but I do have a couple questions.

Does the duplicate energy attack have any strike bonuses? Also, is it affected by any form of energy resistance? For example, someone with Energy Resistance being struck by an energy blast which does not do more than 20 points of damage(low damage, bad rolling, etc...). Can they shoot the same blast back, regardless of how much damage they actually take?

I think the Duplicate Item might need a little longer duration. I could be wrong, but it will increase it's out-of-combat versatility. Might make it quite a bit more appealing.

I like the Duplicate Self power as it stands. It's not quite multiple selves, and allows for balance. At higher levels it is quite useful.

I do have a suggestion for the Duplicate Item part. Give it a longer lasting duration the longer time is spent concentrating on it. So if it is a quick copy, it lasts the listed duration. If extra time is spent on sutdying, focusing, etc..., the item lasts longer. Unfortunately it makes it easy to cheese out quick cash by copying precious stuff and selling it.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Ok. One last post. This came about as a joke from a recent discussion. I think the original idea came from a Darkwing Duck show. It's a mish-mash of subpowers. Sorry about requiring people to actually look up different powers to figure out exactly what it does, but I don't like posting material already available in the books if I can help it.

APS: Liquid Butter(major)
The extremely strange power allows the super being to change his body into pure butter. Depending on personal choice, the solidity of the body can be changed between liquid and semi-solid.

Physical Stats:
SDC becomes 200.
HF 10 in semi-solid form, 12 in liquid form due to weird ooze-like appearance. HF 15 to mutant/intelligent creatures that are commonly eaten with butter(obviously optional. For those who unfortunately have seen the movie, think of the melted butter scene from Leonard Part 6).

Either Form:
1. Butter Ball: A ball of extremely hot butter can be shot out of the super being's eyes or hands. At first, it hits with great force, then continues to do damage due to extreme heat.
Range: 300ft + 20ft per level.
Damage: 1d6 + 1d6 at every even level. Burn damage, which starts on the melee round after a successful strike, does 1d4 per melee round(all successful strikes are cumulative).
Duration: Lasts 1 melee round + 1 melee round per even numbered level.

2. Butter Slick: A gush of liquid butter can be expelled. Use subpower 3 of APS: Oil or Tar from PU1. Ignore the damage and the setting on fire part. Everything else is the same.

Semi-Solid:
Can make normal physical attacks in this form.

1. Still Kind of Gooey: Subpower 1 of APS: Putty from PU1.

Liquid:

Any physical attacks made by the character in this form do 1/2 normal damage. And they make a 'sploosh' noise.

1. Subpower 4 from APS: Liquid.

2. Subpower 5 from APS: Liquid, except for the part about lasers.

Notes:
In human form, small amounts of melted butter can be created. Examples include, buttering your toast in the morning, adding a little bit of needed butter to a recipe, etc...

I know, it's kind of silly. but, I had to.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

the name was my favorite part! also, the weapons do 2d6 more because of how jagged and, well, nasty they are. i can see why you say what you say, and i plan to apply that in my games. :D i actually did think of the people power seperately at first, but i didn't think that it was powerful enough. maybe add animals/creatures to the mix? any suggestions would be helpful. :?
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

btw, meat-sims is the general term in roseburg, OR for minions and such that are just there to be jibinated(nice squishy word). :nh: :ok: also, this is probably WAY too powerful(and complicated), but would it be better to use eugenics? it might be better for more permanent meat-sims, bu just a thought........ :quiet:
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

thagema wrote:APS: Liquid Butter (OK, I am starting to get hungry!)

In a lighter game, this power is awesome. I can see how it has its uses. Even as a joke power, its good. But, the damage for the hot butter blast is a little high (in fat... j/k) How much damage does hot butter actually cause? I would lower it to 1D6 plus 1D6 every three levels and add a nasty, slippery side effect. Keep the added burning though. That's good.

On a more serious note. Rename it and change butter to grease and I think it's a more acceptable power.

I agree with the every 3rd level part. That was originally how I had it worked up, but changed it. I figured it might be took weak that way, but looking back it does seem a bit better. Oh yeah, it's really, really hot butter that will soak through most costumes. I'm sure harder armor wouldn't actually take the continued burning damage. It would only apply to hits on people in regular clothing/costumes.

For the serious note. I know Grease is a better name. It's just the image of superhero made of butter just makes me smile.

Oh yeah. About the Power Category thing. Are you referring to my idea on the Dream/Nightmare hero? If so, I was actually planning on sending it to the Rifter. One of these days.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I think you posted Torque Manipulation before. Not bad. I would suggest some kind of percentage for the Body Twist power, as opposed to automatically knocking them off their feet. I really like the disarm attack, and the trip attack. I'm not a scientific-type, so I do not fully understand applying torque to an object to parry it. I can understand introducing a counter-spin effect may slow something down enough to give a better dodge, but I figured forward momentum would keep it on it's original course. Could be wrong though.

Oh, as a side note about the earlier mention of new power categories. Along with the Dreaming Hero, I'm working on a Golem hero. Not like the Immortal Golem in PU2. The concept I'm working on is kind of like Bionics and Eugenics. I figured one covers machines and the other covers genetics. The Golem hero I'm working on will cover magical creations. Figure I'll come up with some kind of budget, with options to customize and such. Still just a concept. Even so, sound interesting?
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Oh yeah thagema. The Alchemist's Touch power sounds a bit like the Matter Transmutation power I posted a bit ago. While nice in concept, it provides way too much potential for serious abuse.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

I've been thinking about the ill-named Meat Sims power and so I whipped this up this morning. I'ts not complete and probably not balanced but it's what I've got so far. Enjoy........

Create Bio Forms (Major)

This is the ability to create temporary low powered expendable minions to serve as scouts, laborers or even as a samall fighting force. They are 100% loyal, always fighting to the death when ordered to do so. The creatures created by this power can have almost any shape. While one character with this power could create creatures with a goblinoid appearance while another might create flying monkeys and yet another could create green blobs.

Each character starts with Bio Form Points equal to his/her PE X 10. These points are spent each time a Bio Form is created as well as at character creation to modify the Bio Forms basic appearance and abilities. The character must spend 50 points to create each Bio Form. Those spent to alter the creatures appearance and abilities are lost permenantly while those used to create them regenerate at a rate of ____ (don't have my books with me but it should be the same as the rate for the Create Force Fields power). Extra points may also be spent when creating a Bio Form to add to it's abilities depending on the situation.

Range: The creatures can be created anywhere within 20 feet + 5 per level of the character.

Duration: The creatures will fade away 5 minutes (+ 2 minutes per level) after they are created.

Attacks per Melee: Creating a Bio Form takes 2 Attack/Actions.

Bio Form Basic Abilitites:
Size is usually small (2 to 3 feet tall)
Stats all start at 10
HP starts at 20 + 2 per level of the character
SDC starts at 50
2 Attack/Actions per melee
Damage (bite, kick, punch, sting, etc) 1D6
Knows the equivelant of Hand to Hand: Basic

Bio Form Modifications: The following modifications must be "bought" by spending Bio Form Points during character creation.

+1 to any stat...........................................2 points each (maximum +20 to any stat)
+10 to HP...............................................20 points (maximum +20 to HP)
+10 to SDC.............................................20 points (maximum +50 to SDC)
AR 8.....................................................100 points
AR 10...................................................200 points
AR 12...................................................300 points
+1 Att./Ac...............................................50 points (maximum +2 Att./Act.)
+1D6 to Damage....................................100 points (maximum +4D6 to Damage)
Flight (15 mph)........................................50 points (can be purchased twice)
Jumping(+10 feet to all jumps)..................25 points (can be purchased twice)
Energy Expulsion:Any(1D6 + 1D6/lev......100 points
Poison (2D6 unless save vs. poison)........100 points
Sleep Poison (unless save vs. poison)......100 points
Nightvision (100 feet)................................25 points
Stealthy (invisible in shadows)..................50 points
Size increase (height 4 to 6 feet).............100 points
Size increase (height 6 to 9 feet).............200 points

Temporary Bio Form Bonuses:
+10 to PS...............................................25 points
+20 to Spd..............................................50 points
+1D6 to Damage (including to E.E. dam)..100 points
Heal Damage to a Bio Form.....................1point per point of HP or SDC

Other Bonuses:
+ 2D4 to P.E.
+ 1D4 to M.A.

Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanx.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

okay, this is an awesome writeup, mr. scorpio. :ok: and while *I* will always use my name for it, i can see why you're changing it. the only thing that confused me was the "permanent expenditure" part. that could use some clearer wording. :D
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Looks good, but it seems rather weak. I understand creating lifeforms is a rather big power, but with the PEx10 points, you can really only create one decent bio-form. Maybe a few weaker ones if you spend only a little bit of points on each. I think maybe adding a level based point bonus would be nice, or even just dropping the PE basis. So that the 15th level 'Dr. Frank' arch-villain could whip up something, or more things, more formidable than the 1st level minor villain. Then again, it's really not that bad since them dying doesn't do anything to you.

Oh yeah, how fast do they 'heal' when killed/dismissed? So, if your creation dies and you can summon it immediately, is it fully healed? Also, how does it's memory work? Is it the same bio-form each time, or is it a generic life form that is made?

Also, if you feel like it/have the time, why not come up with a more expanded list of options, maybe even some not available until higher levels(like Superhuman Strength, higher AR, etc...). I can think of all kinds of fun things I would give a creation.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

ZEN wrote:I like the level progression rates, however I'm going to have to sit down and work through this power properly before I can give it the big tick on game balance.. looks good at first glance, but the energy expulsion has me a bit worried.

So what exactly is it about the energy expulsion that worries you? I tried to keep it at a lower power level than PCs (or NPCs) would have. If anyone sees a problem with anything else please tell me.

MrTwist wrote:Looks good, but it seems rather weak. I understand creating lifeforms is a rather big power, but with the PEx10 points, you can really only create one decent bio-form. Maybe a few weaker ones if you spend only a little bit of points on each. I think maybe adding a level based point bonus would be nice, or even just dropping the PE basis. So that the 15th level 'Dr. Frank' arch-villain could whip up something, or more things, more formidable than the 1st level minor villain. Then again, it's really not that bad since them dying doesn't do anything to you.

True, it is a little weak but then I'm not quite done with it yet. I did put it together so that if you wanted to design a more powerful Bio Form then you wouldn't have a lot of points left to summon a lot of them.

MrTwist then wrote:Oh yeah, how fast do they 'heal' when killed/dismissed? So, if your creation dies and you can summon it immediately, is it fully healed? Also, how does it's memory work? Is it the same bio-form each time, or is it a generic life form that is made?

Honestly, I don't see them healing on their own. They are one shot creatures so when they are killed you can summon another as long as you have points left to use to create more. So far I've been assuming that they have no memory of anything else as they are all "new".

MrTwist also wrote:Also, if you feel like it/have the time, why not come up with a more expanded list of options, maybe even some not available until higher levels(like Superhuman Strength, higher AR, etc...). I can think of all kinds of fun things I would give a creation.

I probably won't get to work on it much more this weekend but I like the idea of adding level based options. Any suggestions you might have for "fun things" to add please feel free to post them! Thanx again.

[edit]I tried rewriting the text portion of my write up to try to make it a little clearer and gave it an official recovery time and more points per level(PE X 5 points). Tell me what you think now....

Create Bio Forms (Major)

This is the ability to create temporary low powered expendable minions to serve as scouts, laborers or even as a small fighting force. They are 100% loyal, always fighting to the death when ordered to do so. The creatures created by this power can have almost any shape, which is chosen when the character is created. While one character with this power could create creatures with a goblinoid appearance while another might create flying monkeys and yet another could create green blobs. The creatures will always appear wearing what ever is appropriate for the form (goblinoid creatures could be dressed in dirty, ragged clothes or miniature replicas of the Heroes costume while flying monkeys might only wear a fez and green blobs wouldn’t need clothes at all).

Each character starts with Bio Form Points equal to his/her P.E. X 10 + P.E.X 5 for each level of the character. These points are initially spent to modify the Bio Forms basic appearance and abilities. The remaining points form the characters available power pool from which points are spent each time he/she creates a Bio Form and regenerate at a rate of 100 per hour (25 every 15 minutes). Therefore making the Bio Forms more powerful means that the character will have fewer points left to use to summon them later while making them less powerful means that he will be able to summon a lot of them. Extra points may also be spent when creating a Bio Form to give it certain bonuses depending on the situation. [/edit]
Last edited by Mr Scorpio on Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

ZEN wrote:My worry was that if this was the only modification you spent on your Bio Forms, you could end up with your own artillery squad.. that is quite powerfull!

It finally dawned on me that you might mean something like that a couple of hours ago. I like the idea of gaining additional powers as you go up in levels. The gestalt-ish power would be great. Maybe I should come up with more powers like that for 3rd level and then add a few select Minors at 5th level and a (very select) few Majors at even higher levels?

The other thing I was thinking about was changing the options so that the starting options are more like the natural abilities of animals (a lot of the ones I have are animal like: winged flight, nightvision, etc.). Instead of things like Energy Expulsion type powers I could include a chamelion like ability and possibly an electrical generation power (like an electric eel)?

ZEN wrote:I agree with a decent level progression bonus to the Bio Points, but since you permanently spend points on the basic form of the minions, and it costs 50 points for each one you create, maybe leaving the P.Ex10 alone and boosting the +? per level is a better option?

I was actually thinking about increasing the starting points to make it a little stronger. I've changed it back to P.E. X 10 and changed the level + to P.E. X 5 so that the Bio Forms could be made stronger as the character advances.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

[quote="Mr Scorpio]The other thing I was thinking about was changing the options so that the starting options are more like the natural abilities of animals (a lot of the ones I have are animal like: winged flight, nightvision, etc.). Instead of things like Energy Expulsion type powers I could include a chamelion like ability and possibly an electrical generation power (like an electric eel)?[/quote]

that was my original idea, but i did'nt know how i could do that. looking back, it would have been rather easy. please continue, though, you're on a roll. :D
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

brannigan's law wrote:please continue, though, you're on a roll. :D

Yup, so here we go again........
Create Bio Forms (Major)

This is the ability to create temporary, low powered, expendable minions to serve as scouts, laborers or even as a small fighting force. They are 100% loyal, always fighting to the death when ordered to do so. The creatures created by this power can have almost any shape, which is chosen when the character is created. While one character with this power could create creatures with a goblinoid appearance while another might create flying monkeys and yet another could create green blobs.

The creatures will always appear wearing what ever is appropriate to the character (goblinoid creatures could be dressed in dirty, ragged clothes or miniature replicas of the Heroes costume while flying monkeys might only wear a fez and green blobs wouldn't need clothes at all). The only skill the creatures possess normally is Hand to Hand combat skills.

Each character starts with Bio Points equal to his/her P.E. X 10 + P.E. X 5 for each level of the character. These points are initially spent to modify the Bio Forms basic appearance and abilities. The points spent to modify the Bio Forms are lost permanently and the remaining points form the characters available power pool from which points are spent each time he/she creates a Bio Form. Therefore making the Bio Forms more powerful means that the character will have fewer points left to use to summon them later while making them less powerful means that he will be able to summon a lot of them. Extra points may also be spent when creating a Bio Form to give it certain bonuses depending on the situation.

The character becomes more powerful and experienced (3rd level and higher) so do the Bio Forms he/she creates. At levels 3, 6, 9 and 12 the character can once again spend his/her Bio Points to modify and enhance the abilities of the Bio Forms. Further, as the character rises in levels even more powerful options and abilities become available.

Range: The creatures can be created anywhere within 20 feet + 5 per level of the character.

Duration: The creatures will fade away 5 minutes (+ 5 minutes per level) after they are created.

Recovery of Bio Points: Expending Bio Points affects the characters ability to create new Bio Forms however Bio Points regenerate at a rate of 100 per hour (25 every 15 minutes).

Bio Form Basic Abilities:
Stats all start at 10
SDC starts at 50
Damage (bite, kick, punch, sting, etc.) 1D6
Knows the equivalent of Hand to Hand: Basic

Bio Form Modifications: The following modifications are available at first level. They must be "bought" by spending Bio Form Points.

+5 to any stat...........................................20 (may be purchased twice)
+10 to HP................................................20 (may be purchased twice)
+10 to SDC.............................................20 (maximum +50 to SDC)
+1 Att./Ac................................................50 (maximum +2 Att./Act.)
+1D6 to Damage......................................50 (may be purchased twice)
AR 8........................................................50
AR 10....................................................100 (50 if already AR8)
AR 12....................................................200 (150 if already AR 8, 100 if already AR 10)
Adhesion (as the power without bonuses)....50
Chameleon (as the spell).........................100
Electrical Discharge (Damage: 1D8)..........100
Flight (winged,15 mph)..............................50 (may be purchased twice)
Increased Speed (Speed Attribute X 2).......50 (may be purchased twice, Spd.X3)
Jumping(+10 feet to all jumps)...................25 (may be purchased twice)
Multiple Limbs (as power)..........................100
Nightvision (100 feet).................................25
Poison (2D6 unless save vs. poison)...........100
Size Increase 1 (height 4 to 6 feet)............100
Size Increase 2 (height 6 to 9 feet)............200 (100 if already has Size Increase 1)
Stealthy (invisible in shadows)....................50

Bio Form Modifications available at Level 3 and beyond:

Bio Form Merge (as Absorb Bio Mass).......100
Energy Resistance (as power) .................100
Extraordinary P.S. (as power)..................100
Glow Bug (as power) ...............................75
Hand to Hand: Expert................................50
Impact Resistance (as power) .................100
Impart Skill (same level as character)........50
Shadow Stepping (as power)...................100
Stench (as power)....................................75

Bio Form Modifications available at Level 6 and beyond:

Energy Shield (as power).......................100
Generate Fog and Smoke (as power)......150
Horror Factor (as power)........................150
Hand to Hand: Martial Arts.....................100 (50 if already Hand to Hand: Expert)
Shapechange (as power).........................300
Stretching (as power)..............................150
Superhuman Strength (quality, not power).200 (100 if already Ext. PS)

Bio Form Modifications available at 9th level and beyond:

Increased basic variables(see Note)............Various
AR 15.....................................................350
Battle Rage(as power)..............................200
Sidestep(as power)..................................250
Size Increase 3(9-13ft).............................300
Size Increase 4(13ft-17ft).........................400
Super Burrowing(as power).......................200
Supernatural Strength(quality, not power)...350
Unnoteworthy(as power)...........................250
Un-Trackable(as power)............................250
Venomous Attack(as per minor version).....250(up to 2x)
Weapon Energy Extensions(as power)........300

Note: The increased basic variables is an extension of the basic abilities that can be granted to Bio-Forms. Options that can be taken twice can now be taken three more times, for a total of 5 times. SDC can be taken up to 10 times. For increased stats, the bonus drops from +5 to +3 per time bought above and beyond twice.

Temporary Bio Form Changes: The following may be used at any time after a Bio Form is created. The creator must be in physical contact with the creature to apply any of the changes/bonuses.

+1 to Hit..................................................25 (may be purchased twice)
+5 to PS..................................................25
+10 to Spd...............................................50
+1D6 to Damage......................................50
Heal Damage to a Bio Form.........................1 point per point of HP or SDC
Impart Skill (same level as character).........50

Temporary Changes available after 3rd level
Animal Metamorphosis (any animal)............75
Impart Skill Program (same as character)..100

Other Abilities and Bonuses:
+ 2D4 to P.E.
+ 1D4 to M.A.
Last edited by Mr Scorpio on Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

i'm proud that i could (poorly)make a power that that everyone could like. you guys are awesome, and i'll post another soon. :ok:
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

thagema wrote:Though I am not a fan of having to spend points to use powers, this one is turning out rather nicely. It seems well balanced and useable. When someone play-tests it, I would like to hear how it turned out. Good job.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been worried about the balance. I keep adjusting the points to try to keep it balanced. I'd be grateful if anyone who's playing right now could play-test it.

brannigan's law wrote:i'm proud that i could (poorly)make a power that that everyone could like. you guys are awesome, and i'll post another soon. :ok:

A lot of the people around here are pretty awesome. Your power wasn't poorly made (a little gross maybe). It's a very good idea and I'll be waiting to see your next power.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

this may be confusing, but i'm trying to create a kinetic version of energy absorption/reflection that imparts temporary physical bonuses to the character.(kinda like sebastion shaw :D ) any suggestions would help, before i attempt a writeup :ok: .
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

brannigan's law wrote:this may be confusing, but i'm trying to create a kinetic version of energy absorption/reflection that imparts temporary physical bonuses to the character.(kinda like sebastion shaw :D ) any suggestions would help, before i attempt a writeup :ok: .

Well...I once had a villain (randomly rolled at the time) who ended up with growth. Here's me thinking 'how totally boring' when I decided to add a twist to it. Instead of the normal growth bonuses to SDC, every time he took 20 SDC damage, he grew a foot taller (with all other 'foot' related benefits to growth). Visually, it looked like every hit he took made him bigger instead of knocking down his SDC.

I also had a power once that also seemed to fit the bill. esentially, every 10 or sdo SDC damage taken increased PS and PE and grew the guy an inch. every 50 SDC damage taken gave him an extra attack and so on. add in an SDC bonus and probably a PE bonus and you have the skeleton of a major power right there. Make it more powerfull if it's just kientics you wanted to absorb.

Alternatively, you could just swap around some details from Energy absorption (the major power)
1) draining touch. hmmm a toughie. could be skipped
2) Energy Discharge: another toughie to translate. skip it
3) EnergyFlash easy, keep it the same just say it's a kinetic charge with some blowback potential. give him a +6 to escape grapples in this way.
4) Glow: skip
5) Shoot light beam. Skip
6 other abilities: keep the SDC and PE bonuses. make him impervious to kinetics (or at the very least very resilient)
as we skipped abilities 1,2,4 and 5 we can tack on the equivilant of a minor power. say superhuman PS. by slaving that to the kinetic absorption angle, we can say he enjoys an increase of +2PS for every 10-20 points of damage taken. after +10 PS it becomes extraordanary. after +20PS it becomes super human. after +30 (or 40) PS it becomes supernatural.

Your milage may vary on this, but it's just a mockup, and if you only have one NPC with this power (and if you are the GM of course) then what the heck. It's not as if NPC's have to be balanced any way. If you are a player, flesh it out, make it fair, then present it to the GM and ask him if it's OK. (personally, I would make him resistant, not immune to kinetics, i would cap off the PS but I would add some sort of telekinetic aspect of the power)

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

ZEN wrote:I have seen Kinetic absorption written up before, but it was not very balanced.

I've seen it written up a couple of times. Here's the one I have saved. I'm not sure who wrote it so I don't know who to give the credit to. If any one recognizes it please tell us who's it is.

Absorb/Rechannel Kinetic Energy

The character has the ability to absorb physical/blunt attacks (fists, clubs...ect) and rechannel it into either increased strength or an energy blast. To determine how the character redirects, roll (or pick) on the following table. This power can be taken twice.

01-50: The character can redirect the kinetic energy into increased strength.
For every point of absorbed physical damage above the character's PE, the character adds a point to his/her PS. For every 15 points asorbed above the character's PE, increase the character's strength class to the next highest (ie...normal to extraordinary to superhuman to supernatural to cosmic). Any attacks that do less than the character's PE do no damage. The character can absorb a max of his/her PE plus 10 points of damage per level of experience per hit...any extra damage beyond that does damage to the character.
For example, a 3rd level hero with Absorb/Rechannel Kinetic Energy with a PE of 20 and normal PS is hit with by a villian doing 60 points of damage! This not only increases the character's PS by 40 points and rolling it into the cosmic strength class, it also does 10 points of damage.

51-00: The character can redirect the kinetic energy into an energy blast.
For every point of absorbed physical damage above the character's PE, the character can rechannel that damage into an energy blast that does 2D6 plus the amount of damage that was absorbed. Any damage that does less than the character's PE is simply absorbed and does no damage. The max damage that the character can absorb is his/her PE plus 10 points of damage per level of experience per hit. Damage beyong this point is done to the character (who still get's to redirect it into an energy blast). The character can also fire a 2D6 damage energy blast, without absorbing damage.

If any of the energy expulsions powers are taken, the damage can be added to it instead of the 2D6 energy blast in this power.

Range: Self
Range of Energy Blast: 300ft or if an energy expulsion power is taken, it's range.
Duration of increased PS: The character's strength begins to decrease by one point every action after the first melee round it was absorbed. The character's strength class decreases to the next lower strength class (untill the character's regular strength class) every other melee round after the first.
Duration of the increased Energy Blast: Roll to determine.
01-25: The character will harmlessly bleed off 1 point of unused (not redirected) absorbed damage every melee round after the first.
26-50: The character will bleed off 1 point of unused absorbed damage every melee round after the first doing damage directly to the character.
51-75:The character can hold the energy for one melee round after the first per level of experience, before it is released in an area effect around the character in a range of the character's PEx2.
76-00:The character can hold a max of his PEx2 +10 points per level of experience, with no limitation on how long he/she can hold it. However, any damage absorbed beyond that point is shot out of the character in an area effect range equal to the character's PEx2.
Bonuses:
+1D6 to PE
+2D6 to SDC
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Mr Scorpio wrote:
brannigan's law wrote:please continue, though, you're on a roll. :D

Yup, so here we go again........
Create Bio Forms (Major)

This is the ability to create temporary, low powered, expendable minions to serve as scouts, laborers or even as a small fighting force. They are 100% loyal, always fighting to the death when ordered to do so. The creatures created by this power can have almost any shape, which is chosen when the character is created. While one character with this power could create creatures with a goblinoid appearance while another might create flying monkeys and yet another could create green blobs.

The creatures will always appear wearing what ever is appropriate to the character (goblinoid creatures could be dressed in dirty, ragged clothes or miniature replicas of the Heroes costume while flying monkeys might only wear a fez and green blobs wouldn't need clothes at all). The only skill the creatures possess normally is Hand to Hand combat skills.

Each character starts with Bio Points equal to his/her P.E. X 10 + P.E. X 5 for each level of the character. These points are initially spent to modify the Bio Forms basic appearance and abilities. The points spent to modify the Bio Forms are lost permanently and the remaining points form the characters available power pool from which points are spent each time he/she creates a Bio Form. Therefore making the Bio Forms more powerful means that the character will have fewer points left to use to summon them later while making them less powerful means that he will be able to summon a lot of them. Extra points may also be spent when creating a Bio Form to give it certain bonuses depending on the situation.

The character becomes more powerful and experienced (3rd level and higher) so do the Bio Forms he/she creates. At levels 3, 6, 9 and 12 the character can once again spend his/her Bio Points to modify and enhance the abilities of the Bio Forms. Further, as the character rises in levels even more powerful options and abilities become available.

Duration: The creatures will fade away 5 minutes (+ 5 minutes per level) after they are created.

Recovery of Bio Points: Expending Bio Points affects the characters ability to create new Bio Forms however Bio Points regenerate at a rate of 100 per hour (25 every 15 minutes).

Bio Form Basic Abilities:
Stats all start at 10
SDC starts at 50
Damage (bite, kick, punch, sting, etc.) 1D6
Knows the equivalent of Hand to Hand: Basic

Bio Form Modifications: The following modifications are available at first level. They must be "bought" by spending Bio Form Points.

+5 to any stat...........................................20 (may be purchased twice)
+10 to HP................................................20 (may be purchased twice)
+10 to SDC.............................................20 (maximum +50 to SDC)
+1 Att./Ac................................................50 (maximum +2 Att./Act.)
+1D6 to Damage......................................50 (may be purchased twice)
AR 8........................................................50
AR 10....................................................100 (50 if already AR8)
AR 12....................................................200 (150 if already AR 8, 100 if already AR 10)
Adhesion (as the power without bonuses)....50
Chameleon (as the spell).........................100
Electrical Discharge (Damage: 1D8)..........100
Flight (winged,15 mph)..............................50 (may be purchased twice)
Increased Speed (Speed Attribute X 2).......50 (may be purchased twice, Spd.X3)
Jumping(+10 feet to all jumps)...................25 (may be purchased twice)
Multiple Limbs (as power)..........................100
Nightvision (100 feet).................................25
Poison (2D6 unless save vs. poison)...........100
Size Increase 1 (height 4 to 6 feet)............100
Size Increase 2 (height 6 to 9 feet)............200 (100 if already has Size Increase 1)
Stealthy (invisible in shadows)....................50

Bio Form Modifications available at Level 3 and beyond:

Bio Form Merge (as Absorb Bio Mass).......100
Energy Resistance (as power) .................100
Extraordinary P.S. (as power)..................100
Glow Bug (as power) ...............................75
Hand to Hand: Expert................................50
Impact Resistance (as power) .................100
Impart Skill (same level as character)........50
Shadow Stepping (as power)...................100
Stench (as power)....................................75

Bio Form Modifications available at Level 6 and beyond:

Animal Metamorphosis (one animal)........150
Generate Fog and Smoke (as power)......150
Hand to Hand: Martial Arts.....................100 (50 if already Hand to Hand: Expert)
Shapechange (as power).........................300
Stretching (as power)..............................150
Superhuman Strength (not as power).......200 (100 if already Extraordinary)

Temporary Bio Form Bonuses:
+1 to Hit...................................................25 (may be purchased twice)
+5 to PS...................................................25
+10 to Spd...............................................50
+1D6 to Damage......................................50
Heal Damage to a Bio Form........................1 point per point of HP or SDC
Impart Skill (same level as character).........75

Other Abilities and Bonuses:
+ 2D4 to P.E.
+ 1D4 to M.A.

Very nice expansion on the power. Here's an idea. Shapechange and stretching should not be available at 6th level, maybe not even ever. I think any power that gives the bio-form the ability to modify it's own form should not be allowed. Or, if so, it's the creator who uses their own actions and chooses the change. So in the case of Animal Meta: Whatever, the creator of the bio-form chooses when it changes to and from the animal. Basically, it's just to keep the power a bit more balanced. The creator has to be in the vicinty then to control the more powerful aspects. Replace both powers. How about Horror Factor - 150 and Energy Shield - 100.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Here's an idea for an expansion.

Abilities available to bio-forms at 9th level and beyond:

AR 15 - 350
Sidestep(as power) - 250
Venomous Attack(as per minor version) - 250(up to 2x)
Size Increase 3(9-13ft) - 300
Size Increase 4(13ft-17ft) - 400
Battle Rage(as power) - 200
Un-Trackable(as power) - 250
Unnoteworthy(as power) - 250
Super Burrowing(as power) - 200
Weapon Energy Extensions(as power) - 300
Supernatural Strength(quality, not power) -350
Increased basic variables(see Note) - Various

Note: The increased basic variables is an extension of the basic abilities that can be granted to Bio-Forms. Options that can be taken twice can now be taken three more times, for a total of 5 times. SDC can be taken up to 10 times. For increased stats, the bonus drops from +5 to +3 per time bought above and beyond twice.

Seem a decent enough addition?

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”