Armor-In-A-Can

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aermas
Explorer
Comment: There are two kinds of people in this world, those who quote people, & those who people quote

-Aermas

Armor-In-A-Can

Unread post by Aermas »

Is there any straightforward method to make something like power armor to transmute or shrink is some fashion to become a bracer?
taalismn
Priest

Re: Armor-In-A-Can

Unread post by taalismn »

No. That sort of thing comes under Really Advanced Magic/TechnoWizardry/Superscience. 8)

If it's just straight armor protection you want, in Rifts Australia, there's a reptilean species(actually crocodilians) who have a one-shot liquid armor that comes in disposable cans, some of which occasionally become available to outsiders. A really advanced derivative of this might be possible if you enhanced the stuff with limited duration spells like Superhuman Speed/Strenght, Breath Without Air, Impervious to Energy, etc.

If you allow superpowers, you could probably kludge up a system with a pseudo-scientific explanation like pocket dimensions or advanced nanotech, or claim you got the technology from some Ancient race,

Advanced magic may allow you to shrink a suit of power armor small enough to action-figure size, so you can fit it in a vambrace.

That having been said, I've created a few derivatives of the liquid armor and at least one emergency spacesuit using nanotech that manotech-folds out pf a few smaller pieces of apparel like a thick belt and collar.

The field's wide open for new innovation.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Aermas wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:17 pm Is there any straightforward method to make something like power armor to transmute or shrink is some fashion to become a bracer?
Two ways come to mind off the top of my head -
  • A TW rig using Reduce Self (but modified only to target the armor), the temporal spell D-Shift 2D to turn the PA into a design on the bracer - activated like a magic tattoo, and Teleport: Self (but modified for only the armor) to teleport the PA onto/off the wearer
  • A gestalt of nanites that spread out from their holding unit in the bracer - the billions of nanites would specialize into the armor's systems and they could even "heal" the armor by consuming nearby material (like the Machine People in the 3G)... though likely not compatible with magic
Is this for Warlock Marines? If so, I'd go with the first option...
Aermas
Explorer
Comment: There are two kinds of people in this world, those who quote people, & those who people quote

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

It's for a True Atlantean TW. The idea is to install various cool pieces of tech & magic functions into a light power armor. I want him to be able to don it at a moments notice though, he's a wanderer so the idea of hauling it in a flatbed & spending minutes booting it up would be kind of lame. I picture him with a bracer, maybe with a laser gun built in so its kind of a sidearm "wear around town" thing, & if he touches a rune or button or maybe says a magic word, he would suddenly be armored in one round or so.
Grazzik wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:39 pm
[*]A TW rig using Reduce Self (but modified only to target the armor), the temporal spell D-Shift 2D to turn the PA into a design on the bracer - activated like a magic tattoo, and Teleport: Self (but modified for only the armor) to teleport the PA onto/off the wearer
2D Shift is an ingenious idea, he's an Atlantean so a "tattoo" would be appropriate
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Aermas wrote:Is there any straightforward method to make something like power armor to transmute or shrink is some fashion to become a bracer?
Unless you come up with some method of "mass shifting", retracting everything into a single housing has the draw back that the mass is now all concentrated into a tighter area. The only tech option I can think of that gets around this would be the Intruders (DB3) tech as they have solid energy Power Armor and other mecha, however no example of a bracer (IIRC) in these examples (Naruni does have Force Field belts). Nano tech is an option depending on how you have the nano-tech create the armor (but not sure if anyone has the nano-tech level for this)

Now Magic I think has options:
1. Biomancy has a body armor that might work (WB6 pg69-70)
2. Armor of the Sun (WB9 pg61-3) Talisman
3. Techno-Wizard has options that could be done via custom spell chains (I don't think there are any examples that meet the description that you are looking for, so custom spell chains, possibly importing from other magic branches)
4. A custom Magic Tattoo (something an Atlantean would have access to possibly) that creates a "power armor", there are tatts that could be combined to give "power armor" features
5. Necrol bio-creatures might work, they do have a living armor (DB5 or DB6).
6. Bio-Wizard device (likely has to be custom, Bio-W Implants are out IINM), but this seems unlikely
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

ShadowLogan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:11 am Unless you come up with some method of "mass shifting", retracting everything into a single housing has the draw back that the mass is now all concentrated into a tighter area.
Really good point - not something one thinks of in comic-based physics...
ShadowLogan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:11 am 3. Techno-Wizard has options that could be done via custom spell chains (I don't think there are any examples that meet the description that you are looking for, so custom spell chains, possibly importing from other magic branches)
Adding Featherlight to any spell chain should address the issue of mass.
ShadowLogan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:11 am 4. A custom Magic Tattoo (something an Atlantean would have access to possibly) that creates a "power armor", there are tatts that could be combined to give "power armor" features
Hmm, like TW spell chains, this got me thinking about custom tattoo chains for power tattoos and the like where they are all one tattoo, much like adding enhancements to a sword or monster tat counts as one tattoo if done all at the same time. Weapons allow up to 2 enhancements, monsters up to 3 enhancements... combining powers may be a bit more complex / rare but perhaps could allow up to 6 combined power tats/related weapon or monster enhancements adapted for the power(s)? This could mean that some powerful combination of abilities could be given to a PC/NPC but only when used all together as part of a single tattoo design. This would increase the PPE draw by a significant amount (draining them of a big chunk of PPE at one go) and/or would trigger the max 6 tattoos active rule. Another consequence would be that the PC/NPC would not be able to use only one of the chained abilities - it would be all or nothing - which could tamp down any munchkin looking to skirt the 2 tats/level rule. Still, the idea of having multiple power tattoos chained into one tattoo design that emulates the key features of a power armor is a very elegant option worth exploring.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Grazzik wrote:Really good point - not something one thinks of in comic-based physics...
I know its something that can get overlooked in fantasy-based physics (I wouldn't say its just comic-based).
Grazzik wrote:Adding Featherlight to any spell chain should address the issue of mass.
TW also has the issues of time duration, not just weight/mass. The question with TW to consider is are the spell effects there to "shrink" or "enlarge" and how long (I don't rule out permanent options, but if doing this likely need to have two devices one for each way). Not to mention how the suit gets put on/off.

IF i was designing something for this, I'd probably base it on the Armor of the Sun Talisman mentioned previously using Armor of Ithan with PA-esque buffs (stuff like enhanced Strength, Speed, senses, etc) to create a "Power Armor of Ithan" essentially.
Grazzik wrote:Still, the idea of having multiple power tattoos chained into one tattoo design that emulates the key features of a power armor is a very elegant option worth exploring.
I agree. If the PC/NPC in question wasn't supposed to be a TA I might question this option (given the sources for getting M-Tatts).
Aermas
Explorer

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

ShadowLogan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:11 am
Aermas wrote:Is there any straightforward method to make something like power armor to transmute or shrink is some fashion to become a bracer?
Unless you come up with some method of "mass shifting", retracting everything into a single housing has the draw back that the mass is now all concentrated into a tighter area.
Alchemists can make armor Weightless.

D-Pockets can shift the weight elsewhere
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Aermas wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:56 pm
ShadowLogan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:11 am
Unless you come up with some method of "mass shifting", retracting everything into a single housing has the draw back that the mass is now all concentrated into a tighter area.
Alchemists can make armor Weightless.

D-Pockets can shift the weight elsewhere
And these options while a way around the issue would fall under the magic category as neither are "straightforward" as a pure tech solution IMHO. Alchemists also come with the drawback of making repairs additionally expensive since you now have to alchemically treat any tech repair part with the enchantments.
Aermas
Explorer

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

It doesn't have to be a tech only solution. As long as it's straightforward in the rules & I'm not homebrewing it
ShadowLogan
Palladin

I'm not saying it has to be a tech only solution. However mix and matching Tech and Magic is hardly what would be considered a "straightforward method" requested when you get down to it, especially given the exotic nature of the request. Then there is the support/maintenance for said device to consider if it will still result in a "straightforward method".

There is something in WB2 (pg125, BoM pg267) the Bio-Wizard Symbiotic (Eylor) Weapon Modification which allows a weapon to teleport to a user (w/n 40mile/64km) when needed (telepathic link). While for weapons I suppose it could be used for armor to (GM call), cost for the weapon version is 100+ million credits, and of course the stigma of Bio-Wizard hardware. It's close to what you are looking for w/n the rules.

Alternatively you might have to scale back what you are looking for and go with a personal force field style of body armor, it might not be "light power armor", but it has numerous examples (Naruni aren't the only ones, and there are magic options).
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Narratively, what you're describing sounds like the following excerpt:
" ...She reached up over her right shoulder, put a finger through the metal ring protruding from the top flap of her backpack, and pulled it.
With a sharp PSCHT noise, a spidery metal framework popped out of the sides of the pack. Two spindly metal rods swung sideways across her shoulders, down her upper arms, bent at her elbows and clasped around her wrists, then expanding with the characteristic flowing action of memory metal into enclosing armor; similar armatures did the same to her legs, and a ribcage-like structure enfolded her torso, the slats then springing to meet each other and seal into an interlocked power-mail system. The pack also released a pair of angular silver pauldrons, which popped up and locked down over her shoulders, and a streamlined top-over helmet that sprang up and folded around her head from the back, forming a holovisor around her eyes.
Emitting a soft capacitor-like whine, the prototype of the soon-to-be-released ExoSalusia Personal Arms Division MP-1414zA "Shadow Warrior" compact personal powersuit system, known within the company by the project nickname "Can o' Whoop-Ass", powered up, stiffening and expanding slightly to complete its deployment as the red targeting reticule glowed to life within the visor."

(From Undocumented Features: http://www.eyrie.net/UF/GA/rite.txt)

It's an anime fanfic, but I think it helps visualize what you're looking for.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Aermas wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:17 pm Is there any straightforward method to make something like power armor to transmute or shrink is some fashion to become a bracer?
The only thing in the PB gamebooks I know of that acts something like this is the Greater Artifacts in the NB game. Though the armor option for greater art. is plate armor of some sort it does grant 3-4 very potent magical buffs.
Side-note: Greater Art. take the place/role of the greater Rune stuff in the NB game. Sort of like how the Magic Weapon opt. of the magic power cat. also take the GRW roll/place in Heroes Unlimited game.

How to get your GM to import said item into his Rifts game, the three basic forms of: asking, fast talking and/or bribing.
Another way is to make the Character Class which gets chosen by a Greater Art. as its wielder/user. And then ask the GM to let you use that char as someone who got rifted to the setting of Rifts Earth.

Anime Note: this sounds like a lot what the Capsule Corp does with items.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Aermas
Explorer

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:34 pm
Aermas wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:17 pm The only thing in the PB gamebooks I know of that acts something like this is the Greater Artifacts in the NB game. Though the armor option for greater art. is plate armor of some sort it does grant 3-4 very potent magical buffs.
Megaverse in Flames has a demon chick with rune armor that disappears into its own gauntlet too. But doesn't say by what magic it does that. I was hoping to stay away from needing that level of magic

Capsule Corp huh? I think that would be fun to experiment with... mix 2dShift, Shrink, & some other stuff & maybe make gems that can shrink & store what they touch & then pop it back out later?
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Is 'straightforward' really an issue if the equipment is unique, one-of-a-kind, or available only in limited quantity?
Its unique nature might balance any potentially game-breaking properties it might have.
Just lay down a few guidelines like 'my body armor shrinks down into a wristwatch but nothin else can be made to do likewise', or 'these stones shrink down inorganic objects up to 3 tons in weight, but nothing living/organic'....house rules don't have to complicated and rarity/uniqueness(at least in the PCs' corner of the megaverse) presents a very god reason why 'you can't have one like mine'.

Having any other PC who wants an identical set of gear might be a good hook for a personal adventure, the PC scrambling to find the 'little shop where I picked this up', track down the wandering merchant who sold the gear, find and book a commission with the master smith who made the stuff...or plot to kill the PC with the original gear and take his stuff.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Thundercloud Galaxy has something like this if memory serves. Auto-Armor, pages 30-31. Dominator tech though.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Aermas
Explorer

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

By "straightforward" I just mean an option with some rules or guidelines already existing. Something pre-existing, not something homebrewed. Something that would have the least GM fiat
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Not quite as small as a bracer, but all of the Lemurian Bio-Armours (World Book 32) can shrink down like this, and are effectively power armours -
Page 110: "All suits of Bio-Armor can retract to reveal the face, head, hands, etc. of the wearer as necessary or desired. The armor can even retract and compact itself enough to be easily concealed under clothing; it must cover a minimum of 25% of the body, typically retracting to the chest and back or lower body."
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
AceTW
D-Bee

Unread post by AceTW »

I don't know if this helps, but as Taalismn already pointed out, the Mokoloi crocodile aliens of Australia have a TW suit of armor stored in a toothpaste tube.

It is on page 144 of world book 19 Australia.

The creation stats are included and from the flavor text it seems like it is a mix of the Energy Field spell and Ectoplasm. 50+1D4x10 MDC and lasts 36 hours.

It's not exactly like a Extremis style Iron Man suit that is stored in someone's bone marrow, but it literally is "Armor-In-a-Can".
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I second the Dominator armor mentioned by 13eowulf. It is high end/not really understood tech, and could in theory be available for a TA.

I've had more than one player or character make more or less "Power Armor Equivalents" out of a selection of PF magic rings. Speaking of which, not PA, but one of the PF books (Eastern Territories I think?) has a bracer that wears as a gauntlet/bracer, but turns into armor. Might be worth looking at.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Rifts®”