Power Attacks

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

W.R.Xavier1
D-Bee

Power Attacks

Unread post by W.R.Xavier1 »

Question about power attack: So I know its established through multiple books you can do a power punch or kick and it equals 2 attacks. (Leaving out all additional factors such as Supernatural str etc) & in some instances certain creatures can even have a power bite. In building on that I've always had a "house rule" that the same applies to melee attacks as for me at least if the players wants to use up 2 attacks with their weapon they can for the gain. Seems logical you can swing your sword extra hard. Most players over the years have been happy with that house rule and know if they can do it the opponent can do it. Recently someone took umbrage when I power attacked back with an orc and the session devolved as they occasionally can. So know my question becomes is there an official ruling (source needed) if this can actually be done or if I have broken the game somehow. I'm trying not to uninvite the player for going overboard to a house rule that until 5 minutes ago they were ok with, but I'd like to know errata wise where this stands. Gotta love rules lawyers. lmao

(** Addon I also base this ruling as I have seen the term power attack in various Palladium Books**)
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Power Attacks

Unread post by kiralon »

The only power attacks i know for palladium fantasy are power punches, power kicks, and in the monks case a power strike.
So it is a house rule for power striking things out of those boundaries.
As to have broken the game i wouldn't say so, but you probably need to make clear to the players that the things they can do are not unique, and if a party member can do something, something can also learn to do it.
I have typed my house rules up, printed em out and given em to the players so they know what they are in for so they have a consistent set of rules, and one of them is what you can do to others, others can do to you. This inhibits things like carpet of adhesion and poison usage.
W.R.Xavier1
D-Bee

Unread post by W.R.Xavier1 »

I agree 100% whats good for one is good for all. I'd be interested in seeing your house rules. Sent you a message.
GoliathReturns
Wanderer

Unread post by GoliathReturns »

You definitely haven't broken the game. The player is just having a poor attitude about it. If he normally has no problem with the rule, might want to pull him aside, and check if there's something else going on.

When it comes to power attacks, called shots, etc, my players understand my rule- the bad guys get however many called shots or power attacks as you guys make. It may be against different bad guys, maybe later in the campaign, but that's their limit- however many you guys make.

It worked all well and good until there was "that guy" who liked to called shot every attack. Every. Single. One.

Because he was always doing it, and the other players didn't see me doing it back, they got emboldened.

And I routinely warned them "remember, good for the goose, good for the gander".

I kept track through the entire campaign. And I saved them all for the "big fight". You know how you always have that group of nobodies between you and the big bad? Yeah. Cultists, a few clerics, a few palladins.. and several assassins. All 9th level. Against a party of level 15 characters.

I still had abour 600 or so called shots left on the tally sheet when the party was dead.

Everyone, except "that guy" admitted they had it coming.

So, no I don't think you're in the wrong. I think the player overreacted, and there's a good chance they had/have something else going on, that caused them to overreact.

--
GS

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”