The Spell Life Drain

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

The Spell Life Drain

Unread post by darthauthor »

With regard to the spell Life Drain in the book, Rifts Ultimate Edition, page 213, do multiple castings result in a stacking of effects?

For Example, after the second casting but within the duration of the first casting of Life Drain, does the victim lose 2 attacks per melee round?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: The Spell Life Drain

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Though there will be several walls to consider due to multi-casting (I know the example cites a 2nd, but if nothing stops #2 then nothing stops additional castings past it so...):
1. HP/SDC reduction (eventually you hit a wall and can't do any more damage IMHO with the spell, 50 SDC or HP will hit LESS THAN ONE BUT NOT ZERO by the 6th casting, and this assumes no transfer from SDC overage to HP)
2. Attack Per Melee reduction could hit a wall in terms of APMs being reduced to ZERO or below (which will vary based on target level, skills, and such)
3. Speed Reduction as APM (and it can hit ZERO with the 5th casting if SPD is 30, which should be in the uncommon territory)
4. Skill Penalties could also stack, but here I'd be less concerned with hitting a wall since there is no real cap in terms of penalties that can be applied (Skills top out at 98% after all).

IMHO you have three options, but ultimately it will be a GM's call on how multiple casting stack:
A. The Spell cannot stack with itself via multi-casting
B. The Spell will see ONLY its duration increased due to multi-casting
C. The Spell will stack with Mutli-Casting (though can reach a dangerous point)

Multi-castings during the duration aren't addressed so I am inclined more toward A or B over C
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

What if two separate casters were casting the same spell "Life Drain"?

New example, the casters are casting life drain on pilot in a SAMAS on the ground. Pilot got in and closed the door in time.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Per the description the SAMAS is irrelevant, it offers no "spell protection" in this case to the pilot and would be ignored.

I don't think it matters if two (or more) casters cast a spell as opposed to a single caster doing it multiple times (aside from duration considerations) for multi-casting situations.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”