Psionic Power of Death Trance

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Psionic Power of Death Trance

Unread post by darthauthor »

Can a player use the psionic power of "Death Trance" found in Rifts ultimate Edition on page 167.

Can the psychic using this power force themselves to sleep, stay asleep thoughout the night and also wake up on the time they want to / designate (like a psychic alarm clock)?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Psionic Power of Death Trance

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

darthauthor wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:12 am Can a player use the psionic power of "Death Trance" found in Rifts ultimate Edition on page 167.
No, those powers are for characters only, not players.
If you’re asking about someone at the table with you, call an ambulance; there’s something wrong with them.
Can the psychic using this power force themselves to sleep, stay asleep thoughout the night and also wake up on the time they want to / designate (like a psychic alarm clock)?
If the description says they’re asleep, or that it counts as sleep, then yes.
Otherwise, GM’s call.
I’d allow it.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
darthauthor
Hero

Thanks Killer Cyborg.

Great joke.

Just trying to get a complete understanding of how the power may and may not be used.
I saw a potential use for the power as an alarm clock of sorts.

Believe it or not some people have trouble getting to sleep. Especially in high stress situations or environments where sand flies or loud noises keep people awake. IF this power worked the user would be envied and wake up with the rewards of having slept.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Indeed,

As someone with chronic sleep problems, you’ve made me long for this power in real life.
:-D
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:12 am Can the psychic using this power force themselves to sleep, stay asleep thoughout the night and also wake up on the time they want to / designate (like a psychic alarm clock)?
Yes and No. Yes, they can enter a Death Trance and stay under for however long they think they need to (w/n a 4day limit). However NO, I would not consider this state to give the character the benefits of sleep as the body's metabolism slows to a virtual crawl (giving the illusion of death, even by medical professionals). It is the lack of metabolism that IMHO means you don't get any benefits of sleep (your body's metabolism is still going even when you sleep, performing functions that occur during sleep).

If you are looking for "restive" powers though, all Psychics know Meditation and then you have the power of Induce Sleep (for others, unfortunately not self), and something like Resist Fatigue or Summon Inner Strength can both temporarily allow one to (IMHO) ignore sleep fatigue.
darthauthor
Hero

Thanks Shadow Logon,

The questions are REALLY about what the pyschic power can do for the players, NPCs, and villains.

How the power works and how it does not.
According to you, you can be "inactive" , time will pass, you will awaken when you set your psychic alarm clock but won't wake up rested or with the benefits of having slept. So no refreshed I.S.P. or P.P.E.

That is an important and big difference for lot of players both for them playing and calling me out on villians who have their energies restored without cause.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”