Telekinetic Push

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Telekinetic Push

Unread post by darthauthor »

Can Telekinetic Push from the physical category of psionics powers from page 170 of the Rife Ultimate Edition be used to push hand grenade back at their throwers?

IF it could, would it be a roll to strike?

IF the psychic just wanted to push the hand grenade away from the party would a roll be necessary?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Telekinetic Push

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yes, if the hand-grenade gets within its AOE.
It would act more of a deflection field for thrown objects. So who's strike roll would count would be the thrower's strike roll. I would think a 19 and above would send it back at the thrower. otherwise it would be pushed to the side somewhere.
I think there is text in a spell somewhere that talks about this.

The power is centered on the psychic. and indiscriminately pushes everything.

So ether the lesser or Super TK power would be better at tossing a HG away.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I think you could push a hand grenade, just like you could push any other object - if it was lying at your feet or nearby. However, I don't think you could use the power to "parry" a hand grenade (or any other object), as it is thrown towards you. There is no mention of this in the description, or how to implement it if that was the unspoken intention of the power.

It does highlight the other question, though, about whether you can "strike" something else with the object or person you have pushed, though again, there is no mention or instructions on how to manage this in the description. I would say that, because it just pushes a thing "away" from you, you have no real control over the specific direction it travel, and cannot attempt to "strike" a target, although the general direction should be fairly obvious just by judging your comparative positions. If there is a vase directly between you and a wall, if you push it, it will hit the wall. If there is a picture on the wall and you want to hit it with the vase, you just don't have that level of control to achieve it. If you wanted to determine how close something is pushed towards a specific target, I would probably use a random die roll.

If someone threw a grenade at you, and it landed at your feet, a telekinetic push might not direct it back at the thrower, because the grenade will have hit the ground, bounced and roll about for a bit, and could be off to one side, or even behind you, and could end up anywhere. A great move if you are on your own in an open space, and just wanted to push it away (no roll necessary), but very risky if there are other people or objects around you that could be hurt/damaged.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:Can Telekinetic Push from the physical category of psionics powers from page 170 of the Rife Ultimate Edition be used to push hand grenade back at their throwers?
"Inanimate objects weighting under 50 pounds (22.5kg) are 'pushed' or slid across the ground twice as far, roughly four yards/meters (12 feet/3.6m)."-RUE pg170.

The text makes it clear this is a NO, it dictates how far the object is "pushed" (and implies direction is backward so yes it would go back to "thrower" but ...) which can be enough to fall short depending on the gap between thrower and psychic (which can be 120ft per text) Plus you have to factor in the AOE of the grenade (which will vary by type AND how you manage the listed area of effect).

The power will push the landed grenade so it so the psychic could fall outside (some) grenade AOE.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”