Attribute Checks

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zombietots
D-Bee

Attribute Checks

Unread post by zombietots »

Are there attribute checks? What do they do to open a stuck door? what if a jump is just out of their range by a few inches? Maybe they need a roll to get that one hint to solve the riddle?

I only ask because the Attributes go beyond the normal D20 style roll. If the character has an intelligence over 20, does he just get the riddle or puzzle?

"I so smart I don't need hints or clue!"

Or am I missing something or looking to hard at it?
"I Love Lamp!" Read more Galaxy's Edge and Forgotten Ruins by Nick Cole and Jason Anspach Frickin' awesome series of books
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Attribute Checks

Unread post by Grazzik »

Yes, attribute checks are canon... somewhat. They exist, but they weren't part of the base ruleset... they sort of evolved in the books over time.

If I recall Rolling for a skill without training? by AceTW was a good conversation on using attributes... but that content is no longer available for some reason.

So, off the top of my head, there are at least two ways you can do an attribute check.

1) Look in Mercenary Adventures for the adventure called "Boot Camp!"... it gives rules for using attributes to do physical things - basically roll D20 under or over the attribute depending on what you are trying to do.
2) There is somewhere else (and for the life of me I can never remember where it is) it was suggested to multiply the attribute with a multiplier depending on whether it was easy, moderate, or hard and use that as a percentile. I'd have to dig into my notes to see how I've adapted that approach.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There is Text in the N&S book that gives the only 'roll the dice' mechanic for the MA attribute. It is in the 'Warrior's Spirit Kata'. And because the PB attribute bonus looks similer to the MA bonus...it is possible for GMs to rule it covers PB too.

Note; Over the years there has been posters that said that the WSK mechanic is only for that Kata.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Caveat: This is based on someone else's idea and I claim no credit for it. Thank you to whoever came up with this idea.

My adapted notes from wherever I got it... note that this is not for skills, but situational reactions.

Attribute Check Rule

IQ - Putting clues together, Figuring out a puzzle, Recognizing details
ME - Resisting torture or subtle questioning, Resisting Charm/Seduction
MA - Behaving appropriately in a variety of social situations
PS - Breaking a door from its hinges, Bending a pipe with bare hands
PP - Avoiding slipping, Keeping balance on uneven surfaces
PE - Emergency reserves of stamina, Staying awake all night
PB - Coaxing information, Looking appropriate in a social situation
Spd - Quick turns while running, Running through a forest/uneven terrain

Example: if an attribute is 22...

An EASY roll would be X5 --- 22 X5 = 98%
A STANDARD roll is X4 --- 22 X4 = 88%
A MODERATE roll is X3 --- 22 X3 = 66%
A CHALLENGING roll is X2 --- 22 X2 = 44%
A DIFFICULT roll is X1 --- 22 X1 = 22%
An IMPOSSIBLE roll is X1/2 --- 22 X1/2 = 11%
zombietots
D-Bee

Unread post by zombietots »

Thanks Grazzik. That is SUPER USEFUL!
"I Love Lamp!" Read more Galaxy's Edge and Forgotten Ruins by Nick Cole and Jason Anspach Frickin' awesome series of books
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

zombietots wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:47 pm Are there attribute checks? What do they do to open a stuck door? what if a jump is just out of their range by a few inches? Maybe they need a roll to get that one hint to solve the riddle?

I only ask because the Attributes go beyond the normal D20 style roll. If the character has an intelligence over 20, does he just get the riddle or puzzle?

"I so smart I don't need hints or clue!"

Or am I missing something or looking to hard at it?
Attribute checks use percentile dice, like skills.
If you don’t have the right skill, roll against the most applicable attribute instead.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”