The spell Chromatic Protection

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

The spell Chromatic Protection

Unread post by darthauthor »

The 4th level spell Chromatic Protection (10) on page 100 of Rifts Book of Magic.

Question:

1. IF the victim of this spell fails their saving throw and recovers in 1d4 rounds then attack again do they make another save?

2. IF they succeed in their saving throw do they have to roll again for new attack or the next round?

3. IF the attacker has cybernetic eyes are they immune?
Last edited by darthauthor on Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: The spell Chromatic Protection

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

1. Assuming the spell duration has not elapsed (4x melees per level) yes they would need to make another Saving Throw.

2. Yes they must roll for each attack.

3. Given the similarities to Blinding Flash (pg91 in BoM) I would say yes, however cybernetic/bionic eyes (or other cameras) are not identified in the spell.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1: The spell activates for each melee attack towards the target of the spell. The char attacking has to save vs. magic with each of the attacker's attacks within the duration of the spell.

2: See answer #1.

3: Note the note 2 in spell. this say, in a round about way, that only magical means of protection can stop the flash from hindering the attacked. While also noting the "Blinding Flash rules about cybernetic/bionic eyes.
Spoiler:
The BF rules about cybernetic/bionic eyes I totally disagree with if Flash bangs do affect cybernetic/bionic eyes. If flash/bangs don't affect cybernetic/bionic eyes then there is nothing to disagree with. Too bad there is no text (That I Know Of) that covers the effects of Flash/bangs vs. cybernetic/bionic eyes.
As such the GM of each game chooses if or if not the spell's light affect the attacker's cybernetic/bionic eyes.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

Wow drewkitty!

Your descriptions are impressive. I have to do a double take on your abreviations BF (Blanding Flash) but I eventually understand and am impressed by the detail of your explanation.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”