Into box sets.

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Blue_Lion
Knight

Into box sets.

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

One thing I notice PB does not have is intro box sets.
Basically, a simplified rule set pregen characters and maybe an adventure or two to introduce new players to PB games. Most RPGs now have a beginners gate way box set.

What do you think would it be a good idea?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Into box sets.

Unread post by Grazzik »

Blue_Lion wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:34 pm One thing I notice PB does not have is intro box sets.
Basically, a simplified rule set pregen characters and maybe an adventure or two to introduce new players to PB games. Most RPGs now have a beginners gate way box set.

What do you think would it be a good idea?
Need a pregen character? Take a low level NPC and change their name.

Need a starter adventure? Try the Boot Camp! adventure in Rifts Mercenary Adventures Book... great way to learn game mechanics, used it several times for various PB games not just Rifts

Simplified rule set? It could be done if stripped right down to bare bones and the pregen PCs came with only a couple skills/spells/powers and limited gear that matched the bare bones rules to give flavor, but not sure that minimalist mindset is in PB's DNA...

Box this up? Are you thinking the same box set to cover PB's system generally or one for each game? It might be useful to new players to get a flavor of PB gameplay quickly or to promote the idea of the PB megaverse. However, consider how a new player would feel about getting hooked on the PB system through a generic box set and buying the BTS corebook, only to find that the rules for Dead Reign were slightly different and required buying the DR corebook. Same again for HU and Rifts. Some folks may balk at shelling out for what is a mostly cut-paste rule set with game-specific tweaks in this time of restrained discretionary spending. Others may be totally okay with it. Creating box sets for each game may avoid this scenario, but it would increase the effort / cost to develop and promote the various box sets.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Yes I do. I really do.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”