Wampyrs and Master Psionics

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AlanGunhouse
Champion

Wampyrs and Master Psionics

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Wampyrs were created in the base book, they can gain 1 one psychic power each level. Master Psionics were introduced to the game in WB 1, so the question is: are Wampyrs limited to only powers on the minor list, or can they gain major powers as well.

The secondary question is whether they are counted as Master Psychics.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Wampyrs and Master Psionics

Unread post by Grazzik »

AlanGunhouse wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:53 am Wampyrs were created in the base book, they can gain 1 one psychic power each level. Master Psionics were introduced to the game in WB 1, so the question is: are Wampyrs limited to only powers on the minor list, or can they gain major powers as well.
Rifter 20 pg 19 - Wampyrs do not get super psi according to the officially endorsed FAQ in that Rifter.
(However, when it comes to Rifter 20 and Wampyrs, there is the SDC vs MDC inconsistency, so your choice whether to consider it a reliable source)
AlanGunhouse wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:53 am The secondary question is whether they are counted as Master Psychics.
As they are limited to just minor psi powers, my opinion is no. But I'd suggest they are a Major psi probably on par with a Secondary Vamp given the number of powers they can accumulate and the amount of ISP they have.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Grazzik wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:03 pm
AlanGunhouse wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:53 am Wampyrs were created in the base book, they can gain 1 one psychic power each level. Master Psionics were introduced to the game in WB 1, so the question is: are Wampyrs limited to only powers on the minor list, or can they gain major powers as well.
Rifter 20 pg 19 - Wampyrs do not get super psi according to the officially endorsed FAQ in that Rifter.
(However, when it comes to Rifter 20 and Wampyrs, there is the SDC vs MDC inconsistency, so your choice whether to consider it a reliable source)
AlanGunhouse wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:53 am The secondary question is whether they are counted as Master Psychics.
As they are limited to just minor psi powers, my opinion is no. But I'd suggest they are a Major psi probably on par with a Secondary Vamp given the number of powers they can accumulate and the amount of ISP they have.
They can get some "Super" psionic powers, namely the ones listed as minors in Nightbane (the table is different).
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

AlanGunhouse wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:09 pm They can get some "Super" psionic powers, namely the ones listed as minors in Nightbane (the table is different).
If you are playing Nightbane RAW and the powers you are interested in are listed as "minor" psionics in Nightbane, then they are according to RAW not "super" psionics in Nightbane. That then means that the prohibition on Wampyrs getting super psionics in Nightbane is not violated.

If you are house ruling that the psionic powers listed are categorized according to a listing from another game or setting (Rifts, PW, PFRPG, etc.), then that's on you or your GM to make the call as to what to do.

I personally use Rifts as my baseline of psionic powers for all PB games, but that is my house rule.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

To sum it up...
In NB the Wampyrs can get any of the psi powers listed in the Core book's psi powers listing.

In Rifts you'd need to look at their RCC listing in RDC. (If there is one.)

In other PB games it is up to the GM's house rules what they can get. Thou I myself would limit the W to the three lesser psi powers types in the Games that don't have a 'conversion' already in place in the canon text.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Nightbane®”