Weightlessness/Masslessness

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Weightlessness/Masslessness

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, this is another fine example of one word ruining a perfectly good spell description. The spell goes on with a description of reducing the weight of an object, as the name of the spell implies. But then, in the final line it says that the mass is affected. Those are distinctly different things. Since the spell reduces damage from striking attacks, I'm assuming it's mass? Something with the same mass, but much less weight would just be easier swing right?

-Vek
"Did the author not know the difference?"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Weightlessness/Masslessness

Unread post by kiralon »

I believe weightlessness and massless is counted as the same thing in palladium fantasy.
I imagine moving in weightless full plate would be odd.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

My question would be if size and density of an object would be affected. Does reducing the mass make it easier to break or make it brittle. I realize the writer probably knows nothing of physics and I am just complicating the spell even more, but it would be nice to include those bits of information.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Size....No

density.....well if this meant the object's displacement, then yes
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

As I frequently say, Palladium books are not closely written. Trying to parse that level of word choice, beyond common usage, is going to lead to frustration.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I wrote a long post here and realized that the only way this spell can possible work as mentioned is that it's reducing the mass of something. They just misused weight and mass as the same thing. That leads to my next useful question. It says the save is standard. To what does that apply? Living creatures? Atomatons? Animated dead? Inanimate objects? Inanimate objects on the person or creature that might have a chance to save if the spell was targeted to them?

What about Stone Gargyole's question of the mass being reduced affecting the density of an object?

-Vek
"I suppose Physics can be ignored since its magic."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Veknironth wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:04 am Well, I wrote a long post here and realized that the only way this spell can possible work as mentioned is that it's reducing the mass of something. They just misused weight and mass as the same thing. That leads to my next useful question. It says the save is standard. To what does that apply? Living creatures? Atomatons? Animated dead? Inanimate objects? Inanimate objects on the person or creature that might have a chance to save if the spell was targeted to them?
My rule is "Living creatures and those things they possess". This avoids the "I didn't increase HIS weight, I just made his armor 500 pounds heavier" trick lots of people like to try. I consider it part of the person's aura defending those things inside their aura, which is going to include most gear.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”