What is an Automatic Kick?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

oceanboy86
Newb

What is an Automatic Kick?

Unread post by oceanboy86 »

I came across the "automatic kick" bonus as part of the Acrobatics and Gymnastics skills on pages 205 and 206 of Dead Reign. I couldn't find the move mentioned anywhere else. What differs it from a normal kick attack?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: What is an Automatic Kick?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

oceanboy86 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:23 pm I came across the "automatic kick" bonus as part of the Acrobatics and Gymnastics skills on pages 205 and 206 of Dead Reign. I couldn't find the move mentioned anywhere else. What differs it from a normal kick attack?
It's a longstanding artifact of the system to denote that having a kick that does more damage than a punch only happens at higher levels with certain Hand to Hand styles.

e.g. Hand to Hand basic only gives a kick attack that does 1d8 damage at level 3. but if you take Acrobatics, you automatically get this move at level 1 (or whatever level you take it at, even if you have no hand to hand skill).

That is all it means and the only thing it means. it is, mechanically, no different at all from a normal kick. the only difference is that it comes free with the skill regardless of the Hand to Hand you have or don't have.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: What is an Automatic Kick?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

oceanboy86 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:23 pm I came across the "automatic kick" bonus as part of the Acrobatics and Gymnastics skills on pages 205 and 206 of Dead Reign. I couldn't find the move mentioned anywhere else. What differs it from a normal kick attack?
You don’t get an Automatic Kick.
You Automatically get a kick attack that does the listed damage; it comes free with the skill.
It’s just poorly phrased.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”