Dog Boy loses a limb gets bionics/cybernetic?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Dog Boy loses a limb gets bionics/cybernetic?

Unread post by darthauthor »

So question what happens to a Dog Boy who loses some limbs?

Assume they lose legs and possibly other limbs or organs.

IF they get cybernetics greater than one-third their body up to one half, what psychic senses and abilities do they have left?

None is my guess.
I'd say they could smell and track by smell like they always could but they are psychic blind.

Does this make a Bog Boys a Manhunter?

Assuming they could get bio-systems do they still lose their psychic abilities?
I mean they just look natural right?

But the assumption is a Dog Boy with bionics is just another Manhunter.

What would be the CS policy on crippled Dog Boys?
They know, I'd imagine through experimentation and trial and error, that Dog Boys lose their psychic sensitive abilities.
So do they just kill the Dog Boys as being of no use as a Dog Boy?
Shoot the dog that can't hunt no more.
Guessed that Dr Bradford would use them for experimentation.
IF I was a COLD CS officier I'd use the crippled Dog Boys as food for Psi-Stalkers.
That or have the walk point to take the first shot from the enemy.

Where do I find the material on a character sort of being forced to change O.C.C's by accepting bionic/cybernetic implants so they can walk and such?
darthauthor
Hero

Re: Dog Boy loses a limb gets bionics/cybernetic?

In an attempt to answer my own questions I found "this" in RUE:

Headhunters & Psionics: A character who undergoes partial bionic reconstruction will retain his psi-powers, but his available I.S.P. is reduced by half.

In the book Lone Star the writers include material on "other" creations.
Some of these mutant animals, including Dog Boys like Kill hounds, have bionic/cybernetics.

The difference is that the bionic/cybernetic were always part of the plan for "that" mutant animal OCC/RCC.
They have no psychic sensitive senses that are in danger of being deminished or lost.

Examples: Ape, Ursa Bear, Battle Cat, etc.

So to be consistent with the guidelines and examples of other mutant animals out of Lone Star.

The same sort of examples of bionic/cybernetics that apply to a human or mutant animal apply to Dog Boys when and IF they get a limb replaced.

If I were a CS general in charge of Dog Boy "resources" I would look at the costs of replacing Dog Boy parts with artifical ones, the value the Dog Boys has to the CS after they have cybernetic transplants (life expectancy, ability to contribute based on potential and past history of service, etc).
IF they are too old. Shoot them.
IF the are the bottom of the bucket, have a psi-stalker hunt them for food.
IF the can't adapt to life with cybernetics, shoot them.
I imagine it is a case by case basis.
I imagine Dog Boys don't respond to cybernetics (emotionally, psychologically, and socially) like city dwelling humans.

Thing is, cybernetic animals are, for the most part, stronger and better off than those without. In this context, they are like non-psychic/non-magic humans.
Given the shorter live span of Dog Boys and the dangerous way of life they lead as soldiers who enforce the coalition agenda and defend its territory and citizens they will be dead in a handful of years regardless
So I really think the CS investment in cybernetic parts for Dog Boys is a case by case basis.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Loss of limbs with bionic or cybernetic replacements: Same penalties as a human. When talking about the physical impairment and their effects on their psionic powers.

Does these losses 'make' the Psi-hound into a headhunter class? No, the char would have to change classes from what they were to the HH class. But that is hard to do with only Rifts Books because there is no canon general changing class rules for rifts. You'd have to go to the PF RPG Game, in its HighSeas world book to import canon changing class rules to use.

After Massive rebuilding of a Psi-Hound's body with B or C parts, what happens to their natural psi powers? If there isn't any rules covering this already, see question one answer, then the GM gets to decide what happens to the char in his game.

Unless his nose was damaged then it would still work the same.

Your repetition of the manhunter question in reference to bionics: If there is a Manhunter class in a new book that you are talking about, the answer is the same as for the headhunter question.

Bio-systems.....Psi Hounds would be covered by the same rules as humans.

"What would be the CS policy on crippled Dog Boys?"Euthanized or rear echelon work, or back on the front line once they are healed enough to function @ least at 50%.

Side Note: the optional changing class rules posted in the cuttingroom floor are also a part of the PF game.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

In game I'd say if the character didn't lose limbs ineptly they're moved up on the waiting list for the Dog Boy-themed PA from Northern Gun.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Rules for changing OCC due to cyber/bionics are in Bionics Sourcebook starting pg 62.

I usually use a house rule blend of rules from RUE (partial/full conversion stats), Bionics SB, PF and what feels right for the game overall.
darthauthor
Hero

My bad on the use of the word "Manhunter"

I meant HEADHUNTER.

My mistake.

Thank you for your patience and understanding
darthauthor
Hero

For some reason I am compelled to share:

Some OCC's are by their nature meant to be moved on from:

The City Rat grows up and leaves home to become a new OCC

The Juicer decides they wants to live to see their kids grow up but needs credits and something to do.

Capture by the Splurgoth slavers you become a T-Man.

So too do I feel a merc who loses a limb or two or three and goes bionic ought to have the choice to morph into a Headhunter. But I agree it is not as easy having an operation by a cyber-doc and slapping on some tech. When additional skills and/or OCC abilities are gained from a new OCC I see that some time and training and experience ought to be spent.

Writing this now. I get that a character could "just" get bionics/cybernetic and not change OCC's.

I glimpsed the Palladium adventures on the high seas.
I agree with much of the outlook of being able to change the easist within one's OCC category.
Which I interpret to mean, it is easier to go from Vagabond to Wilderness Scout. I get that.

I wonder about "City Rat" to city raised Vagabond.
A "City Rat" feels like they would be a natural at becoming a "Headhunter" (Man at Arms, NOT adventurer)

The way I see it psychic class characters can't change their psychic category. Can they?

Can a Buster become a Mind Melter or other way around?

While the book mentions that a Psi-Stalker can become a Psi-Nullifier (Psyscape) or even a CS Grunt (RUE). Even the Coalition War books for the Seige of Tolken mention some cyber-knights are Psi-Stalkers. (3%?)

So what can a Dog Boy change OCC's to?
I am more comfortable believing they can't change to a spell casting OCC.
I sort of feel the same about other OCC with psionic powers like a Buster. Even though I feel like they might make a good Psi-Druid.

Lone Star mentions three of them are going for cyber-knight

I can easily imagine one becoming a merc soldier.

I think their are rules (check me if I am wrong) against them becoming Crazies or Juicers.

I do think their is a open door policy on any OCC becoming one of the Adventure OCC's (Vagabond, etc).
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Ooo-kay. Love the enthusiasm.

Step one: search other threads, as this has been covered A LOT!

There has been much gnashing of teeth and snapping of bones as folks get hung up on technicalities, such as OCC vs RCC vs PCC... so before unintentionally stirring the pot, you may want to structure your ideas so they are easier to categorize. Otherwise misunderstandings and hurt feelings are almost guaranteed.

Keep also in mind that Rifts was never designed to easily move from OCC to OCC, for better or worse. I've built my own char sheets that make it easy based on my special blend of rules, but RAW not so much since there aren't any Rifts RAW except for some of the examples you point out (City Rat, Juicer, Borg).

darthauthor wrote:So too do I feel a merc who loses a limb or two or three and goes bionic ought to have the choice to morph into a Headhunter. But I agree it is not as easy having an operation by a cyber-doc and slapping on some tech. When additional skills and/or OCC abilities are gained from a new OCC I see that some time and training and experience ought to be spent.

Writing this now. I get that a character could "just" get bionics/cybernetic and not change OCC's.
Yup, but note that the rules re cyber/bionics have been a bit of a moving goalpost pre- and post-RUE, so my advice is to use canon as much as possible and smooth out the rest with house rules.

darthauthor wrote:I glimpsed the Palladium adventures on the high seas.
I agree with much of the outlook of being able to change the easist within one's OCC category.
Which I interpret to mean, it is easier to go from Vagabond to Wilderness Scout. I get that.

I wonder about "City Rat" to city raised Vagabond.
A "City Rat" feels like they would be a natural at becoming a "Headhunter" (Man at Arms, NOT adventurer)

I'll just say that the city rat write up in the Bionics SB speaks to this.

darthauthor wrote:The way I see it psychic class characters can't change their psychic category. Can they?
Normally, no. That said, much debate has revolved around Cyber-knights and psychics in general and learning psionics, with one particular thread recently with some strong ideas. I'd suggest you read that thread for the variety of opinions.

darthauthor wrote:While the book mentions that a Psi-Stalker can become a Psi-Nullifier (Psyscape) or even a CS Grunt (RUE). Even the Coalition War books for the Seige of Tolken mention some cyber-knights are Psi-Stalkers. (3%?)
I'd suggest this is done at char gen - they choose to be either A, B, or C. Not be A and then transition to C.

darthauthor wrote:So what can a Dog Boy change OCC's to?
See freeborn/rogue dog boys in WB13. Answers are pretty much there.

darthauthor wrote:I do think their is a open door policy on any OCC becoming one of the Adventure OCC's (Vagabond, etc).
Not in Rifts RAW, but you are free to house rule anything you want.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”