Could an Atlantean become a Master Vampire?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Could an Atlantean become a Master Vampire?

Unread post by darthauthor »

I have read that Atlanteans are immune to phyical transformations.

They can not be turned into a vampire by the slow bite/kill thing a vampire does.

But if a Vampire Intelligence reached out to a really evil atlantean and offered them the choice to become a master vampire could they?
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Could an Atlantean become a Master Vampire?

Unread post by Grazzik »

A modern True Atlantean? No, but there is a potential for a very ancient vampiric Atlantean...
WB2 pg 16, emphasis added, wrote:Cannot be physically transformed by any means, including but not limited to the following: metamorphosis potions and spells, the transformation ritual, vampire transformation, petrification, turn to mist, growth/reduction spells/potions/super powers, curses, wishes, or any other form of magic or supernatural transformation spell or enchantment.

Before you go saying that this is due to the Marks of Heritage so just have an ancient Atlantean from the time before the Marks, DB15 pg 14 says the pierced heart tattoo is to ward off the vamp's mind control powers. Therefore, the inability to be turned into a vampire is physically inherent to the Atlantean. DB15 pg 48 says that this is because the True Atlanteans changed their own genetic structure to prevent the transformation. See pg 13 for greater detail.

If you really want to have a vampiric Atlantean, they would have to be from a time before the genetic change - see the write up on the Vampire Crusades (DB15 pg 11-13). The event that launched the Crusades saw some Atlanteans turned into vampires, Masters and Secondaries. But in that case, it was so long ago that the character probably has substantially less bonuses and benefits (e.g. maybe no Marks since they became mandatory after the fact with the Crusades) than modern True Atlanteans who have benefited from millennia of magical and medical improvement. The Atlanteans from before the DNA alteration were genetically just humans, so just roll up a regular vampire a few thousand years old with the trappings of Atlantean culture.
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

I acknowledge the writing says, "Vampire Transformation"

I question if that transformation means being bitten and becoming a secondary vampire (which I interpret as they can not) or if it includes making a "deal" with a Vampire Intelligence.

Making a DEAL with an Alien Intelligence is, in my mind, different than a vampire transformation.
You look deeper into things. You look at the reason why. If I understand, your understanding, the body of a True Atlantean is wired (by their DNA or whatever) to be impossible to change.

Question: Does that include after the True Atlantean has died?
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

darthauthor wrote:I acknowledge the writing says, "Vampire Transformation"

I question if that transformation means being bitten and becoming a secondary vampire (which I interpret as they can not) or if it includes making a "deal" with a Vampire Intelligence.

Making a DEAL with an Alien Intelligence is, in my mind, different than a vampire transformation.
You look deeper into things. You look at the reason why. If I understand, your understanding, the body of a True Atlantean is wired (by their DNA or whatever) to be impossible to change.

WB1r (Vampire Kingdoms Revised) is the key source that describes becoming a master in detail.

WB1r pg 20 wrote:True Atlanteans cannot become vampires. They have a natural immunity to vampire transformation, and are the sworn enemy of the undead. True Atlanteans cannot be transformed by any means, including the vampire's Slow Kill.

Seems pretty definitive.

However, to answer the question posed, as the True Atlantean has to be alive to make the choice to become a Master vampire (WB1r pg 37), being dead precludes the becoming a vampire since a dead person can't choose anything. They're dead. On accepting to become a Master, the Atlantean doesn't die...they are replaced:
WB1r pg 37, emphasis added, wrote:A moment later, the individual undergoes an agonizing transformation, as his body is torn apart and reassembled on a molecular level. The ordinary person is replaced with something new and horrible: A Master Vampire

So, if a True Atlantean cannot transform, then they can't transform into a Master.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Personally I think choice overrides. See examples with NPC that impossible combos and see in old FAQ I know most allows Hawk people to lower their immunity they have to roll a save vs magic.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

RAW they couldn't. Personally I'd allow gods and alien intelligences to override that rule so you could end up with a TA vampire lord. However I wouldn't allow a vampire intelligence to override the rule so any TA vampire lords in a game I ran would have been cursed (or rewarded) to be that way (depending on the god).
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

darthauthor wrote:I acknowledge the writing says, "Vampire Transformation"

It does not say "They cannot become secondary or wild vampires"

it says they are immune to "Vampire Transformation"

That includes Master Vampire Transformation.

They cannot make a deal with a vamprie intelligence to become a vampire. Choice has nothing to do with it, they've been metaphysically and genetically altered to make it impossible. Nothing about a vampire intelligence can override this, it was done specifically as a racial declaration of war against them after all. Preventing even the willing from being turned ensures there cannot be traitors. It makes sense, it was done to forclose the very possibility you're asking about.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

The Beast wrote:RAW they couldn't. Personally I'd allow gods and alien intelligences to override that rule so you could end up with a TA vampire lord. However I wouldn't allow a vampire intelligence to override the rule so any TA vampire lords in a game I ran would have been cursed (or rewarded) to be that way (depending on the god).

On the other hand, even a vile deity would have second thoughts about doing so; the Atlanteans are watched for one reason or another by various deities. A deity might choose to over-ride the Atlantean immunity, only to have five or six deities of two or three other pantheons curb-stomping him/ her for it.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would say that if a VI *really* wants an Atlantean Vampire... it can use its Prototypical Deific powers to do so.
But its going to be using a *lot* of PPE and likely an investment of a chunk of its DC and HP to do so...

Short of the VI choosing to play the "I am a god" card...
no you can't become a True Atlantian Vampire, Nightbane, or any other kind of transformation that does not have an explicit excpetion built into it (as a few kinds of transformation do)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Fenris2020 wrote:
The Beast wrote:RAW they couldn't. Personally I'd allow gods and alien intelligences to override that rule so you could end up with a TA vampire lord. However I wouldn't allow a vampire intelligence to override the rule so any TA vampire lords in a game I ran would have been cursed (or rewarded) to be that way (depending on the god).

On the other hand, even a vile deity would have second thoughts about doing so; the Atlanteans are watched for one reason or another by various deities. A deity might choose to over-ride the Atlantean immunity, only to have five or six deities of two or three other pantheons curb-stomping him/ her for it.

Meh no pantheon is going to do anything over some random evil Atlantian deciding to join the Vampires.
We know this is canon as the collective response to the Sunaj is... deific indifference. So much for "They are being watched"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Fenris2020
Adventurer

eliakon wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:

Meh no pantheon is going to do anything over some random evil Atlantian deciding to join the Vampires.
We know this is canon as the collective response to the Sunaj is... deific indifference. So much for "They are being watched"

Not at all.
The Sunaj are an internal matter.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Fenris2020 wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:

Not at all.

Which presumes that the gods all know, and care.
Which given that the WOG is "no one knows" I find to be... unlikely (then again I find the Sunaj to be unlikely but they are canon so I... cope)
Also the logic is inverted.
That is because "allying with an Alien Intelligence" is "allying with an Alien Intelligence"
If an Atlantian can willingly ally with a Splugorth to get what it wants, it can willingly ally with a VI to get what it wants as well.

Fenris2020
Adventurer

eliakon wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:

Not at all.

Which given that the WOG is "no one knows" I find to be... unlikely (then again I find the Sunaj to be unlikely but they are canon so I... cope)
That is because "allying with an Alien Intelligence" is "allying with an Alien Intelligence"
If an Atlantian can willingly ally with a Splugorth to get what it wants, it can willingly ally with a VI to get what it wants as well.

And the splugorth is still unable to transform the Atlantean into a bio-borg or similar.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

(so we recall what started this)

Fenris2020 wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:

Not at all.

And the splugorth is still unable to transform the Atlantean into a bio-borg or similar.

The Splugorth minions are at least yes.
We don't know for a fact if a Splugorth itself could undo the transformation the Atlantians wrought and mess with them if it decided to break out its divine powers and not just use the toy box. But given that there are several canonical loopholes and oversights in the power that can already explicitly used to cause a transformation of an Atlantian... I sort of suspect that anyone bringing full god mojo to the table can mess up basically any mortal in its power.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”