Use of Death Trance

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Use of Death Trance

Unread post by darthauthor »

Getting creative here.

IF a character uses the psychic power of Death Trance:

1. Can they put themselves to sleep and wait out a magical curse to run out its duration?

2. Likewise, if a character ate Faerie food and had some bad effects for a week could that what out the week with this power?

3. Would Death Trance fool a Psi-Stalker?

4. Would Death Trance fool a vampire?

5. Would Death Trance fool a Dog Boy?

6. Would Death Trance fool a Skelbot?

7. If a Nega Psychic or Psi-Nullifier came along would they take the psychic using "Death Trance" out of their trance? (wake up/can't hide their aliveness)?

8. Is their even a point to a vampire using Death Trance? I mean how is it any different than pretending to be alseep?

9. Elaborate fake your own death plan A
So a psychic adds poison to their drink. They activate the psionic power Impervious to poison. Then act out a their own death scene (skill Performance) use the power Death Trance (1) to make it look real.
Would this work?
Of do they need use "Impervious to Poison" when they undue the Death Trance?

10. Fake ones own death PLAN B:

The police or someone they want to fool is coming.
They leave the gas in the kitchen on.
They activate Impervious to Poison.
Then Activate Impervious to Fire.
Arrange for the some timer to make a spark.
It catches fires.
Shake off the Death Trance and walk through the flames to their escape hatch.
Last edited by darthauthor on Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Use of Death Trance

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

1. Depends on the nature of the curse, but yes it could be done to wait out a duration.

2. It will come down to how Faerie Food is classified. If it is a like a poison/toxin then the answer is no, but if it is like an enchantment then yes. I lean more toward it works like a poison/toxin.

3 & 5. This may be a GMs call. It really depends on if the ability appears as psionic/magical in nature during its duration or just to place the subject in stasis. Given their specialty they might have adopted practices to check for such a state, even if they can't tell the difference. The ability also might include a targeted form of Alter Aura (which IIRC can fool both).

4. I'm not sure it would necessarily help against a Vampire, NOT because they could see through the deception, but because they could still acquire blood from a recently deceased corpse. (weather it would normally be nourishment from this source I'm not sure)

6. It should fool a Skelebot, UNLESS it was programmed to engage in practices to make sure you where not faking (this might be mission specific to counter possible powers OR as standard operating procedure). Example remove a limb.

7. No, for them to impact Death Trance would require them to be present (and w/n Range) when it was activated to disrupt it as an already actived power cannot be disrupted. This is in the respective descriptions.

8. Likely it acts as a form of "masking" any emissions they might have when "asleep" making them look truly dead. An example of emission would be their Aura or PPE.

9. Yes to this scenario

10. No. If there is a fire, the persons of interest might still want a body (especially if they know the subject is psychic and/or a mage). Just seeing the body in the flames might not be enough, they might want to recover the body. Depending on the various variables they could act to put the fire out directly (extinguisher, should really have one in every kitchen) or indirectly (call the fire department basically), and clearing out the gas would be as simple as opening a window or turning on an exhaust fan.
darthauthor
Hero

I thought up some more questions to ask about "Death Trance" (1)

IF one uses Death Trance for 1 day do they:

A. Recover I.S.P. and / or P.P.E.?

B. Heal S.D.C. and / or Hit Points?

C. Do they need air? This power could be used by those trapped in mine cave in or buried under a building or such. Instead of sufficating survivors could use Death Trance to keep from dying of oxygen deprevation.
In the extreme, as a prison escape plan if the other prisoners buried you in a grave for 12 to 24 hours would you die for lack of air?

D. Water. Do they suffer dehydration penalities when they awake?
Put another way, does Death Trance do double duty as Resist Thirst?

E. Food. Do you wake up starving?
Double duty as Resist Hunger?

F. Can someone who needs medical attention and is in great pain put themselves in a "Death Trance" to stablize their medical condition or at least not feel the pain?

G. IF the use of Death Trance deadens pain, could it be used by a doctor or psi-surgery to perform an operation substituting for the pain killers or the psychic healing power "Deaden Pain"?

H. The psychic who uses "Death Trance" do they have any perception of time?
Specifically, when they use the power, "Death Trance" do they have to stay how long they will use Death Trance and can't wake up early or any time they want?
The question really implies they know when they want to wake up or have to have some idea of what is going on around them while in the "Death Trance."
In one story idea, the villan con artist was trying to fool psychics into using "Death Trance" so he could sell without trouble to a necrmancer so they could turn them into a zombie.

I. Does Death Trance fool a Dog (rescue dog)?

J. Does Death Trance fool a Grey Seer from the Federation of Magic?
Or more specifically, what would they sense?

K. Does the user of "Death Trance" wake up rested, tired, or the same as when they entered?

L. IF you use "Death Trance" drunk. Do you come out of it drunk? Hung over? Sober?

M. IF you cast spells on someone in "Death Trance" do they get a save?
IF a healing spell was used or psionic Healing Touch would the person's body respond and heal. The idea is one of the party or a friend tried to save their friend by healing them.

N. Story idea. Character used "Death Trance" then is possessed. Does the possessing psychic or entity get to force themselves to wake the possessed body out of the death trance?

O. IF someone tried to use the spell or psionic power of commune with the dead on the person in the "Death Trance" what would happen?

P. IF the victim of a vampire bite uses "Death Trance" can they escape the vampire's influence?

Q. If a person used "See Aura" on someone using "Death Trance" would they look dead?

R. For a Shifter creating a one way Rift (and has to spend P.P.E.) or teleporting, does the user of "Death Trance" count as a passenger or weight?
darthauthor
Hero

One more question:

IF a Mind Melter or a psychic with the super power of Mentally Possess Others, possessed someone, could they use Death Trance to put the body they possess into a Death Trance then when the duration wore off the Mind Melter would be back in their own body.

Sort of a way to incapacitate someone you possess without harming anyone.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

A-E: The subject's metabolism slows to a crawl, so SDC/HP recovery would also slow to a crawl (I'd also argue ISP and PPE). This means that they do need air (just not as much) since their metabolism is still technically going (a doctor could miss this, that is how slow it is). You likely are not going to come out starving or dehydrated since your metabolism slows to such an extent, this would also be based in part on the fact that toxins/poisons would "stop" during the trance, but when you come out would return.

F. In theory yes, but keep in mind that the pain may prevent them from going into such a trance (IMHO) but more importantly you'd still need treatment.

G. NO. The power is self only, so Jane cannot use the power to put Bob under.

H. I'm going to say yes, they have a sense of time (how it would work...) since the psychic can sense how long they must feign death (so they have to be aware on some level).

I & J: It would likely fool them, Medical Doctors can't tell the difference (80% of the time per RUE pg167).

K & L: The same as when they entered given the text about handling poisons/toxins and their metabolism.

M. I'm going to say yes, though others might not be able to tell if it worked or not.

N. No.

0. They aren't dead, so the power wouldn't work.

P. Most likely

Q. Most likely they would look dead.

R. For simplicity I'm going to say Passenger.

Followup. Nothing really prevents it per say, but I'd say no if from nothing else than game balance (and to prevent abuse after all if a PC can do something and NPC could reasonably do it to). It should be noted nothing prevents the psychic from using other methods to incapacitate their subject (drugs, put handcuffs on, have someone tie them up, etc).
darthauthor
Hero

In Question G

I mean, I am the patient. I have the psionic power "Death Trance." I use the Death Trance power. THEN the psychic Surgeon outside of me does the surgery. The psionic power of Deaden Pain is not used.

NOT the psychic healer attempts to use "Deaden Pain" on me.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

DT would only fool the mind blind and machines.
Can it be negated by a Nega Psychic or Psi-Nullifier? What do the rules say? Yes, this answer requires you to read the rules, but that is my answer to that question. The Nega-Psi can be found in both BTS1, BST2, and NB: BTS worldbook & Psyscape worldbook. I'm pretty sure the Psi-Nu. is found in Psyscape.

Vamp using DT being an oxymoron....*nods* yep, mostly. But the power is more so it doesn't twitch when pocked or prodded.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
darthauthor
Hero

The way I remember the rules from Psyscape

Those Nullifiers and such prevent the powers from starting.

IF they already started they run their course.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

I don't have BTS or the NB books mentioned, but Rifts Psycape versions of the Psi-Nullifier and Nega Psycic which MIGHT differ (I don't know if they do).

WB12 pb68 (Psi-Nullifier) specifically states "The nullification power must be released the moment the spell or Psi-power is cast". A Nega-Psychic can't do anything about a psi-power being activated (pg58 "The Nega-Psychic cannot disrupt the casting of psionic abilities), and while the N-P entry doesn't have a similar statement like the P-N, they only discuss their ability with regard to casting.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”