What the Hell are these weapons?!

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PalladiumBrony
Explorer

What the Hell are these weapons?!

Unread post by PalladiumBrony »

I'm looking through the Compendium of Weapons, Armor & Castles, and... I've come across a couple of weapons that the writers omitted to describe! The Chinte (which the sketch makes look sort of like a pair of nunchaku, and assigned the Impact damage type) and the Barkur (which looks like a sword, but does Chopping damage) both have stat blocks - both listed under the apparently fairly general "hafted" category - but neither has a description elsewhere in the book, as the other weapons do. So does anyone know anything about these weapons? Where they're from, exactly what kind of weapon they were, when and how they were used? Cool additional flavour text?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: What the Hell are these weapons?!

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Chinte....ahhh...looks like it didn't need a full description. I have heard that the Nunchuck were type of horse control item. So maybe apply that explanation to the Chinte. The Nunchuck came from a time when the common folk of that area were forbidden to own 'weapons'. So it could be the same with the Chinte.
(though when I searched for Weapon Chinte all got were a HTH course and fancy handled kurkri.)
Barkur...yep looks like a chopping weapon like an Executioner's sword.

Yep, PB was a small company back then, when the book(s) were 1st published. And recently they were separated into small books (again?). Maybe they fixed things in them. But then again PB doesn't typically update non-KS books.*shrugs*
https://palladium-store.com/1001/catego ... diums.html
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: What the Hell are these weapons?!

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

PalladiumBrony wrote:I'm looking through the Compendium of Weapons, Armor & Castles, and... I've come across a couple of weapons that the writers omitted to describe! The Chinte (which the sketch makes look sort of like a pair of nunchaku, and assigned the Impact damage type) and the Barkur (which looks like a sword, but does Chopping damage) both have stat blocks - both listed under the apparently fairly general "hafted" category - but neither has a description elsewhere in the book, as the other weapons do. So does anyone know anything about these weapons? Where they're from, exactly what kind of weapon they were, when and how they were used? Cool additional flavour text?

Well, checking Google, I found this:

Chinte
https://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread ... 490-Chinte
In his book Unante, the Secrets of Karate, John Sells describes the chinte as wooden stakes strapped to the forearms and used alternatively as armor or weapons
and
Sid Campbell wrote an article on the weapon in the Dec 1985 issue of Blackbelt magazine. You can get it for free on googlebooks. I made a bamboo pair. There also is a Shotokan kata by the same name (one with the three hops backwards). I am fairly sure the kata and the weapon are unrelated. I made a pair out of bamboo, but never used them much. Other than having the hand free to grab I think they are a lot like tonfa in usage.

Barkur
Found a mention that the Barkur is also known as the Worran, which is mentioned here:
The Rain Forrest sword club is the largest of all varieties of sword clubs found throughout Australia, The swords were commonly 120cm to 170cm in length, and used in battle and lawful dueling, such as rite of courting and marriage of a particular girl when there was several suitors. Range of the swords was from the Ingham area up to the Bloomfield and West to the Tablelands. The Kuku Yalanji* People called the swords Worran.

They were made by cutting down a suitable size hard wood tree. A section of the tree about 120 to 170cm was cut off. This was split down the centre and one of the slabs of wood was chipped into shape, a small single handed handle was carved. The handle was wound with handspun bark fibre string and then coated with beeswax resin. The straighter the tree, the straighter and better the sword. If the sword was curved the outer edge was the sharp edge, if the weapon was straight, both edges were sharp and could be used in battle.

Often the blade would be coated with red ochre, fixed to the surface of the wood with blood. These swords were used with one hand stretched over the shoulder, with the sword hanging down the back. The sword was swung forward with a sudden jerk, to strike the enemy. These swords were used only where the highly decorated kidney shaped shields were used. Smaller painted swords and shields were normally used in ceremony and corroborees.

- Source: Aboriginal Australia Display Centre
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “G.M.s Forum”