Opening rifts in Center (Phase World)

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

narcissus
Explorer

Opening rifts in Center (Phase World)

Unread post by narcissus »

I'm under the impression that if a rift is opened to Center, it would either end up in one of the lower levels, or it would end up in the Arrivals area of Gateland. The Prometheans "steering" it there somehow, so that no big nasty can just pop into the middle of a shopping center.

But what if someone opens a rift inside Center. Would that work? Would they need to go to the Departures area? I mean, if they can open it in a shopping center, what happens when big nasty decides to come through from the target end. Would they magically be teleported to the Arrivals area?

Just trying to wrap my head around this, for my players' sake.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Opening rifts in Center (Phase World)

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Just to be clear, there are other areas where you can open a rift into and out of Center. The Splugorth sector and the magic school both have pyramids I believe and that has sort of been my rule for Center, and indeed all of Phase World, is that in the upper levels and inhabited areas of the planet any Rift coming in is redirected to the gates and any person trying to open a dimensional portal is hit with the security fields that are used to stop violence.

Just how I approached it given what is in the book.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Typically, I have all incoming or internal point to point rift traffic redirected to Gateland, except random rifts which get bounced downstairs. Why? Taxes and custom controls. Forces point to point traffic in Center to use teleport.

All outgoing is unrestricted. Hence, the Splugorth pyramid.

However, if the story warrants it, have a powerful NPC (Splugorth, demon lord, ancient dragon, etc.) figure a way past it using lost or dark magics they will never share since they don't want the Prometheans to know.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Grazzik wrote:Typically, I have all incoming or internal point to point rift traffic redirected to Gateland, except random rifts which get bounced downstairs. Why? Taxes and custom controls. Forces point to point traffic in Center to use teleport.

All outgoing is unrestricted. Hence, the Splugorth pyramid.

However, if the story warrants it, have a powerful NPC (Splugorth, demon lord, ancient dragon, etc.) figure a way past it using lost or dark magics they will never share since they don't want the Prometheans to know.

Some beings of power & influence have secret tricks and backdoors, more individuals (most probably Thraxus among them) have arrangements for the possession of "special points of entry" like the already cited pyramid in the Splugorth level, i'd say.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”