Wizards without Tongues

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Wizards without Tongues

Unread post by Ted Smythe »

I wanted to get a second (third, fourth, etc.) opinion on this: I have a fifth-level Wizard in my game whose tongue was completely cut out by the Troker City Guard. He still has his vocal cords. Should he be able to cast spells? How will that effect his ability to speak? Thanks.

Note: I have also posted this at the Magic-Users' & Psychics' Guild BB.
Last edited by Ted Smythe on Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ted Smythe
Adventurer-at-large
Check out my music at http://www.soundclick.com/aaroncorley
Veknironth
Hero

Re: Wizards without Tongues

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, no. He wouldn't be able to form the words. He could make noises but not the exact words that are needed to cast the spells.

-Vek
"Better look for miraculous healing."
Ronin Shinobi
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Sportsmeister and Mr.Sports of sound off, endorsed by cornholioprime

Unread post by Ronin Shinobi »

I'd say it's time for an O.C.C change unless you can find somone to reatach or magicly regrow a new tounge.
Showoff often leads to showdown
Svartalf- Shinobi, You're twisted
Mack- I'm constantly amazed at what people will put their energy into. This planet needs more predators.
Saitou Hajime- What kind of Americian are you?
Shadyslug- Good question
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

My stance is a combination of Shadevarr, Ronin Shinobi, and Gnomish Fury suggestions. I don't have a concrete answer as it has never come up in my games.

Another option is that the Wizards could find a priest or magic effect to regenerate the tongue.
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

An alternate method could be developed, but it would probably be time consuming and require a rethinking of local magic theory. Perhaps a method entailing mathematical calculations? Hand gestures drawing arcane symbols in the air?

EDIT: Just saw GF's post... D'OH!
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Jester wrote:I allow that priests, warlocks, witches do not and can invoke their magic without speaking.

I disagree with priests not needing to speak their spells. They can 'carry a prayer in their hearts', but in most real-world religions, rituals like marriage, exorcisms, baptisms and healings have to be pronounced aloud even though most would agree that God knows their thoughts.

Also, PFRPG2 says a Warlock speaks Elemental, a combination telepathy and the spoken world (p 110), so I would put their abilities in the gray area.

Since a Witch's abilities are a result of a form of familiar link, I wouldn't require any kind of verbal communication or hand signals for them to use their powers.
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Hourglass Eyes wrote:One of our recurring adversaries was a mid-level wizard with the luck of the devil himself. Finally we managed to subdue him a couple adventures ago and my assassin carved out the man's tongue (after relieving him of a few teeth)....He's now a witch..

I shouldn't have mentioned your post to this player. Any advise on GMing a witch PC?
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, if the group is most likely going to take care of a witch PC. I doubt that the witch's patron will want the witch to just do whatever the PC's think is right. No, there'll be conflict. A witch is a horrible PC for the long term because they have reduced free will.

-Vek
"Let him make it up and suffer the consrquences."
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

I agree with Rifter infact i knew that and never looked at the book magic is form mind and soul its components are just ways we use to make sense any way a way to solve it is. increase cost and time by 200% sounds harsh but you are pretty much unlearning what u know to relearn it a whole new way
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
Lord_of_Discord
D-Bee

Unread post by Lord_of_Discord »

Gotta agree with Isis on this one. No tongue = No magic. Magic in PFRPG is different than Magic in Rifts. There are a lot more different type of magic in Rifts than in PFRPG and therefore more options, like casting without the vocal components.

I would suggest getting a tongue regrown. I hope in your PFRPG there are Ash trees. In Rifts England, a herbalist can create some healing salve with Ash trees that can regrow ears, nose and I'm assuming tongue. Besides that, there's getting a God-being to do it for you. AND there's always the turning into a vampire!

Unread post by Guest »

See Also: Don't get your Tongue Cut off.

Really, it seems obviously bad now...but at the time it might have seemed like a good idea.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Well, I'm of two minds on this. First of all, if the word itself wasn't important, we never would have had the

"Klaatu, verata, N*cough,cough*" scene. As we all (well, most of us) know, this was NOT enough. (If you don't know what movie this was from, SHAME SHAME SHAME ON YOU!!!)

However, on the flip side, there are several blurbs here and there spread out through the books that suggest that the WORDS themselves are not needed, it's simply how spellcasters are taught. After all, races that don't speak can still cast spells, just through a different medium. So, it may just take time, and lots and lots and LOTS (did I mention LOTS?) of research. Maybe finding one of these races that uses another way, and adapting it for human(oid) use.

--
GS
:bandit:

Unread post by Guest »

See also: Blade Priests can reattach severed limbs.

I wonder if it has to be YOUR severed limb...hmmm...thats a neat idea.
sinestus
Adventurer

Unread post by sinestus »

Edge wrote:See also: Blade Priests can reattach severed limbs.

I wonder if it has to be YOUR severed limb...hmmm...thats a neat idea.

heh... had a changeling metamorph who followed that idea... since in their stuff it mentioned re-attaching severed limbs... so sapped another changeling and swiped his arms...
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Which issue of The Rifter is this in and where can I get it? None of my usual online sources carry it any longer.

Unread post by Guest »

Ted Smythe wrote:

Which issue of The Rifter is this in and where can I get it? None of my usual online sources carry it any longer.

Mount Nimro.

It isn't a Rifter, it's Canon!
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Sorry, I guess I mixed up Blade Priests with Blade Mages... :-?

(Still, anybody know where to find/buy the Rifter that discusses Blade Mages?)
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Shadevarr wrote:That is some pretty harsh punishment.

Yeah, but when compared to what Europeans did in midevil times, and what Middle Eastern countries do today when administering punishment it is probable. As far as the mage goes, I'd start looking for a Restoration scroll.

Unread post by Guest »

Ted Smythe wrote:Sorry, I guess I mixed up Blade Priests with Blade Mages... :-?

(Still, anybody know where to find/buy the Rifter that discusses Blade Mages?)

I'm sure the "Looking for More, Look Here." post lists the Rifter with them.

Or, just the Rifter Forum itself.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”