Tank Tag

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Blue_Lion
Knight

Tank Tag

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Party has got their iron hammer main battle tank tricked out with TW features invincible armor and superior invisibility. They got a job to stop a dirty CS platoon from attacking and sexually assaulting small town.

They decided to play a cross between tag and hid and seek with the CS ground forces near a ley line. Roll up invisible the gunner shoots the main gun at the target they tag, and then the driver reactivates the improved invisibility and banks hard to one side. It is a some what amusing concept that while working against this group of CS will not work in all battles.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Greepnak
Explorer

Re: Tank Tag

Unread post by Greepnak »

Is the superior invis expensive to activate? Recasting every shot would be rough.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Just use Chamelion
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Blue_Lion
Knight

Greepnak wrote:Is the superior invis expensive to activate? Recasting every shot would be rough.

That is why they are sticking close to a ley line.
they roll up shoot go invis recharge, reposistion and shoot again.

It is not fighting all out but ambush run ambush.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:Just use Chamelion
that spell is not good for moving and does not work against some tech ways to detect you.

Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Greepnak wrote:Is the superior invis expensive to activate? Recasting every shot would be rough.

"Near a Ley Line"

effectively infinite PPE.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Proximity to the ley line might screw up any dogboys the CS might have, that could pinpoint the TW-cloaked tank.
Then again, depends on how experienced they are and how well they're deployed.

I imagine that a good(and standard) field exercise for CS troops in training would be how to deal with invisible foes. If you've got the numbers to spare, you might risk spreading out to cover likely approaches and once your opponent attacks, cover any likely routes of retreat/redeployment that the enemy might use.
Gets more difficult though if your opponent is a floater or a flier(no ground tracks/displaced soil/vegetation to follow).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

taalismn wrote:Proximity to the ley line might screw up any dogboys the CS might have, that could pinpoint the TW-cloaked tank.
Then again, depends on how experienced they are and how well they're deployed.

I imagine that a good(and standard) field exercise for CS troops in training would be how to deal with invisible foes. If you've got the numbers to spare, you might risk spreading out to cover likely approaches and once your opponent attacks, cover any likely routes of retreat/redeployment that the enemy might use.
Gets more difficult though if your opponent is a floater or a flier(no ground tracks/displaced soil/vegetation to follow).
Invisibility superior makes it so you do not leave tracks/foot prints.
So looking for tacks might get hard given the main gun they are using has a 2 mile range and you have about a 2-3 second window to spot it finding them is a real pain.

The way I see it the players in my game are using a fairly sound ambush tactic. The CS unit while larger lacks long range detection ability. The CS best course is to move mean away from the ley line that would moving away from the town the players are defending.

Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

It is a good plan but no plan survives contact with the enemy. Depending on what kind of unit they are facing is critically important. An experienced Unit will be on alert near a ley line expecting ambush or perhaps after the players have done this a few times the CS will send a very skilled unit on a Search & Destroy mission baiting the players to attack with a couple of forward observer units waiting for the attack then saturating the now revealed target with artillery or missiles. Remember post Tolkeen the CS is highly experienced dealing with magic. Every patrol would have Dogboys who can See the Invisible. The game has never dealt adequately with the CS's combined arms capability. The most dangerous weapon a CS patrol carries is its radios.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I've got this vision in my head of a dozen or more skelebots running around all the open space trying to run into the invisible tank, then trying to jump on top so that the CS troops can see where it is.

It helps if you can hear the Benny Hill music in the background.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Mlp7029 wrote:It is a good plan but no plan survives contact with the enemy. Depending on what kind of unit they are facing is critically important. An experienced Unit will be on alert near a ley line expecting ambush or perhaps after the players have done this a few times the CS will send a very skilled unit on a Search & Destroy mission baiting the players to attack with a couple of forward observer units waiting for the attack then saturating the now revealed target with artillery or missiles. Remember post Tolkeen the CS is highly experienced dealing with magic. Every patrol would have Dogboys who can See the Invisible. The game has never dealt adequately with the CS's combined arms capability. The most dangerous weapon a CS patrol carries is its radios.

True but as I said this is something the players just did not a regular. It is working against "this group of CS" that are dirty(conducting an unauthorized raid on a small town). So they did not come with full support and calling for fire outside where they are suppose to operate may draw unwanted inquiries to their unauthorized side job.

(Even with combined arms it is hard to shoot up a target you can't find, with the invincible armor feature they can withstand significant carpet bombing as the spell itself stops bleed through. The samas are being held back by a fighter jet that has them out ranged and is faster than them. If it was an authorized raid the CS could use fighter jets or other LRM to counter the fighter jet and put samas search pattern in place to try and find the tank and mark it. Also remember just because a unit radios for help with combined arms does not mean they will get it, there could be nothing available or the unit is not worth risking other assets.)

Blue_Lion
Knight

Mack wrote:I've got this vision in my head of a dozen or more skelebots running around all the open space trying to run into the invisible tank, then trying to jump on top so that the CS troops can see where it is.

It helps if you can hear the Benny Hill music in the background.

That would be funny but I see them using dog boys. After all it is their job to find magic. :fool:

Return to “Rifts®”