when/where could Juicers parry energy blasts?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

when/where could Juicers parry energy blasts?

Unread post by Axelmania »

GMG 41:
    NO attribute or skill bonuses to parry apply against modern weapons! Only an unmodified die roll counts! There are a few rare exceptions like the Juicer, and Samurai and Ninja of Japan and a couple others where their O.C.C./R.C.C. gives them the ability and a possible bonus to dodge bullets and energy blasts

Ninja/Samurai in WB8 getting something like this sounds familiar, but I don't remember anything about Juicers getting special abilities or bonuses in this regard. Does anyone remember any particular kind of Juicer who could do this?

One possibility I can think is maybe the automatic parry/dodge they got against attacks they were unaware of, implying that people simply can't be aware of energy blasts to parry them?

A second possibility is the GMG is referring to page 10 of the Conversion Book, where Juicers are part of a list of classes (others Crazy/Borg/Simvan/Cyber-Knight/Dragon) who could parry energy attacks as long as they had an MDC item. In the combat example the cyberknight rolls a 14 (bonuses included) to parry a laser pistol shot, his success causing his vibro-blade to take the MD instead of him. Given that high number, in consideration of the -10 (they are in close range because they were attacking each other with vibro blades too) skill/PP bonuses must've applied.

He couldn't do this once the Grunt wised up though:
    Antagonist X can not parry a burst and is hit by the devastating blast.

Although he was slow to... after his first single shot got parried he should've bursted immediately... why did he wait until his last attack?

All I can figure was, even though the Cyber-Knight skipped his turn and didn't attack, that could've been a bluff, and he might've still had attacks left, in which case he could've dodged the burst, so the Grunt wanted to save his burst for the last possible attack to magnify the likelihood that there would be no dodge against it.

Given the C-18 (RUE 257) does 2D4, the only reason I can figure the grunt bothered with single shots was that his 'vibro-blade' must've been a 1D6 vibro-knife.

Master Psionics (only with a psi-sword or psi-shield) and Practitioners of Magic (only with a magic sword or magic shield) could also try to parry energy attacks, but not bullets.

Some of the wording there was a bit superfluous though, like "Mind Melter and Master Psionic" is like "square and rectangle" and duplicating Cyber-Knight in the 2nd list was a bit confusing... all I can figure is that maybe Psi-Swords / Psi-Shields are not suitable for parrying energy blasts in most circumstances unless you were a master psionic OR a cyber-knight, which would give some purpose to listing the cyber-knight again.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: when/where could Juicers parry energy blasts?

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

AU has pure tech weapons that can parry energy blasts.
A juicers high PP would give him an advantage with that.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I'm more looking for evidence of an ability imbued by the class, not by equipment which might potentially give it to anyone.

GMG referring back to CB's notes is all I can figure since I don't know any other place that talks about Juicers having a special ability to do it.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Axelmania wrote:I'm more looking for evidence of an ability imbued by the class, not by equipment which might potentially give it to anyone.

GMG referring back to CB's notes is all I can figure since I don't know any other place that talks about Juicers having a special ability to do it.

To my knowledge they never had a special ability to do it.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Greepnak
Explorer

Unread post by Greepnak »

I just let it happen if the attack is coming from somewhere the character can see the aim/triggerpull reasonably (within 400ft generally) and if they have something that makes it sensible as a possibility (rune weapon, shield). If it could happen in a GOOD anime or comic book I allow it, since Rule of Cool is written in the subatomic universe in Runes.

I mostly keep juicer and crazy special because of their enhanced senses/situational awareness, meaning yes. Jessie the Crazy DID hear the subtle click of the trigger, the soft "thum" of the discharging capacitors and the crackle of air as the laser discharged behind her. She noticed it while she was counting the number of hairs on her primary opponent's head and wondering why he went with THAT haircut... and all of this is while she's in the middle of a backflip avoiding the horizontal cut of her target with the unfortunate hairstyle's vibroblade
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Axelmania wrote:I'm more looking for evidence of an ability imbued by the class, not by equipment which might potentially give it to anyone.

I don't have GMG, but as it is supposed to draw in various Rifts books and rules, in all likely hood it is from CB1r (maybe even CB1o I don't have that) on pg19 concerning Parrying Energy Blasts. From your initial post it comes across as a C&P job since RMB/RUE doesn't allow it as a rule.

Pg19 in CB1r makes it clear that those with "Those character listed and those with special abilities to parry, [...]" (second). This seems to imply that characters with special parry options (which the Juicer has) qualify.

Return to “Rifts®”