Linking to a Good Supernatural Creature

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Raze_7
Explorer
Comment: "The best offense is a good defense!" - Somebody unsuccessful.

Linking to a Good Supernatural Creature

Unread post by Raze_7 »

So, in Rifts: UE, under the Shifter OCC, it states that "If the shifter is lucky, he will contact a benevolent being... these creatures of light seek to help humanity and see the Shifter as an ally rather than a pawn." However, the list provided below gives no definitively good creatures, like Gods of Light or Angels, and neither does it state that these creatures would not link to a Shifter.

Also, there was nothing for linking to specific entities, like Nxla or the Lord of the Deep.
A player character Old One coould possibly be difficult to get past a GM. -Raze_7

"I've caught murderers with my questions before! Well, only once, but..." -Phoenix Wright

"Holy fire burns a hell of a lot." -Chronicle

"According to this polling data, the most popular Star Trek character after Kirk and Picard are Data." - xkcd

http://xkcd.com/1357/
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Linking to a Good Supernatural Creature

Unread post by Glistam »

Check out the expanded selection in Dimension Book 7. Or, just keep it as impossible. A Shifter only ever thinks he's contacted a "good" being, but in the end it turns out to have been a Demon or Deevil Lord trick, and now the character's stuck with having to be a minion/pawn for their machinations.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Perhaps Priest is the bonded with good being occ.
Witch bonded with evil.
Shifter um....uh.....maybe negate this choice and force the player to pick priest or witch.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Raze_7 wrote:So, in Rifts: UE, under the Shifter OCC, it states that "If the shifter is lucky, he will contact a benevolent being... these creatures of light seek to help humanity and see the Shifter as an ally rather than a pawn." However, the list provided below gives no definitively good creatures, like Gods of Light or Angels, and neither does it state that these creatures would not link to a Shifter.

There are rules for a pact to Gods of Light, it's in Megaverse Builder. Along with a lot of other pact options

Also, there was nothing for linking to specific entities, like Nxla or the Lord of the Deep.

Because specific, named beings don't get special pacts? That's the whole point of dividing them into catagories. otherwise every single named god and alien intelligence would need their own entry and there wouldn't be any use for generic pacts in the first place. They offer the same things as linking to a god of darkness, I would think.

Think about it. Going down that road, a pact with a demon lord is fine, but if I want a pact with *insert one of the 30+ named demon lords here here* it's quickly turning into a ton of work. either they have to keep it simple, or else make one for each demon lord.

Or more likely, just toss it into the GM's lap if a player wants a customized pact with a specific named being of his choice--I think this is why they don't get more specific.

I do think there is a missing entry for Gods of Death, they are not all gods of darkness, and it would be more fitting for such gods to give some kind of undead servent instead of a generic demon.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Raze_7
Explorer
Comment: "The best offense is a good defense!" - Somebody unsuccessful.

Unread post by Raze_7 »

There are rules for a pact to Gods of Light, it's in Megaverse Builder. Along with a lot of other pact options

Because specific, named beings don't get special pacts? That's the whole point of dividing them into catagories. otherwise every single named god and alien intelligence would need their own entry and there wouldn't be any use for generic pacts in the first place. They offer the same things as linking to a god of darkness, I would think.

Well, the Lord of the Deep (who is interestingly similar, although not exactly identical, to Cthulhu in description) is an implied Old One of puny power, so I'm not certain that that he qualifies as a God of Darkness. After all, Vampiric Intelligences aren't Gods of Darkness, and they are also implied as Old Ones puny enough to slip past the Super-Spell.

Edit: It is hard to do this on iOS.
A player character Old One coould possibly be difficult to get past a GM. -Raze_7

"I've caught murderers with my questions before! Well, only once, but..." -Phoenix Wright

"Holy fire burns a hell of a lot." -Chronicle

"According to this polling data, the most popular Star Trek character after Kirk and Picard are Data." - xkcd

http://xkcd.com/1357/
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Raze_7 wrote:There are rules for a pact to Gods of Light, it's in Megaverse Builder. Along with a lot of other pact options

Well, the Lord of the Deep (who is interestingly similar, although not exactly identical, to Cthulhu in description) is an implied Old One of puny power, so I'm not certain that that he qualifies as a God of Darkness. After all, Vampiric Intelligences aren't Gods of Darkness, and they are also implied as Old Ones puny enough to slip past the Super-Spell.

Edit: It is hard to do this on iOS.

His writeup says that he is just a regular Alien Intelligence, even if more powerful than most.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Rifts®”