IQ bonus and Hardware Special Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Razorwing
Hero

IQ bonus and Hardware Special Skills

Unread post by Razorwing »

Okay, this has probably been asked a few times before, but I can't seem to find an answer for this... either on my own or with the search function (yes, I admit that my search-fu is weak).

It states in the Attribute bonus section that the IQ bonus is added to ALL skill percentages, so I am inclined to believe that this also applies to the Special Skills that Hardware characters get... even though those skills already start out at a much higher level of proficiency than regular skills. Furthermore, since these skills are not capped at 98%, I see that adding this bonus is just further enforcing the idea that these individuals are truly remarkable people... especially with high IQs.

I'm just curious if this is right (and if there is any support to this idea).
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: IQ bonus and Hardware Special Skills

Unread post by Glistam »

That is how I do it. The I.Q. skill bonus is applied to all skills a character has, regardless of source.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Ditto.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Me too. It's scary when we all agree....

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Now my question is things that give leys say 15% bonus to physical skills why doesn't that teansfer to a +3 bonus on skills not percentile based??
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

No I wouldn't go with that.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I don't either but "technically" its just using the 15% bonus from the occ.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

say652 wrote:I don't either but "technically" its just using the 15% bonus from the occ.

Based on the rules for Perception listed in other books, the +15% would actually translate into a +1. Which coincidentally is about what I might be able to be convinced to allow if a player made a strong enough case for this.

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Glistam wrote:That is how I do it. The I.Q. skill bonus is applied to all skills a character has, regardless of source.

Same here. I think Greg's Hardware manuscript includes the same thing.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Reagren Wright wrote:
Glistam wrote:That is how I do it. The I.Q. skill bonus is applied to all skills a character has, regardless of source.

Same here. I think Greg's Hardware manuscript includes the same thing.

*Checks his copy of the manuscript... "You are correct sir!"
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

say652 wrote:Now my question is things that give bonuses say 15% bonus to physical skills why doesn't that transfer to a +3 bonus on skills not percentile based??

Technically, No, % numbers do not convert into D20 numbers. Nor the inverse.

However, sometimes I do this with char I make for fun.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Yep. That.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Razorwing
Hero

I just came across another related question... would you allow a character's Scholastic bonus to be applied to special skills as well? What of normal skills that are given to the character (unless they are also given a higher bonus)?

This would also apply to other power categories that gain specialized training, such as Special Training and Mystic Study, yes?
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

No to the scholastic bonus.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Scholastic bonus wouldn't apply....since that is a bonus to the skill programs that you get from your education roll. The Hardware skills (and any other power category skills) are not from your skill programs, and thus don't get your Scholastic bonus.
They get the IQ bonus because they are skills. And the IQ bonus only provides +X percent, thus it does nothing for skills that are not percent based.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Razorwing wrote:I just came across another related question... would you allow a character's Scholastic bonus to be applied to special skills as well? What of normal skills that are given to the character (unless they are also given a higher bonus)?

This would also apply to other power categories that gain specialized training, such as Special Training and Mystic Study, yes?

Any skill that has a percentage chance to it should benefit from the IQ bonus irrespective of its categorization, since they're all things you're spending time learning and that IQ bonus specifically improves all your learned abilities that have a percentage success rate.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Razorwing
Hero

The reason I ask is because when you roll up such characters, you give up one entire skill program (that would normally get the scholastic bonus for skills) to gain these other skills. Since these skills replace a scholastic skill program, shouldn't they benefit from the scholastic skill bonus (or the bonus provided... whichever is higher)?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

No, because you didn't learn them as part of the skill package. You spent time learning other things and because of that, didn't get to learn a whole skill program.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Glistam wrote:No, because you didn't learn them as part of the skill package. You spent time learning other things and because of that, didn't get to learn a whole skill program.

^this^
They aren't actual scholastic skills, they are 'skills that you get instead of scholastic skills'
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Glistam wrote:No, because you didn't learn them as part of the skill package. You spent time learning other things and because of that, didn't get to learn a whole skill program.

Irrelevant, you don't have to acquire skills via a Skill Program to gain the IQ bonus, that extra intelligence applies to what you're learning however you learn it, just like it also applies to Secondary Skills which also aren't learned as part of a skill program but gain the bonus anyway. Nothing about the bonus lists any restrictions that say 'well your smarts only improve these skills over here but not those over there'.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

You don't learn Secondary skills as part of a program either, but yet, you still get your I.Q. bonus to them.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Razorwing
Hero

Okay, just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

IQ bonus applies to all skills.
Scholastic bonus only applies to skills learned as part of the character's actual schooling (wasn't learned on their own time).

The special skills from Special Training, Hardware and Mystic Study cost an entire Scholastic Skill set/program as it is specialized training... no different than the Military, Police and Criminal Skill programs (which also require specialized training and thus are available to only certain education levels). Now, those programs do benefit from the Scholastic bonus... so why doesn't the specialized skills of these classes? They replace an entire set of scholastic skills.

Just to be perfectly clear... I am not so much interested in the "building" skills one gets from say the Hardware category... but rather the actual skills like "Electrical Engineering" the Hardware character could get... skills that more or less are exactly the same as what anyone can get. Yes, the bonus the class provides is usually higher than what most educations provide for, but not always for all such skills. Mystic Study provides 3 skills that are like this but for a measly +10%... insulting to any character who gave up a skill program from an Education level that provides +15% or more to such skills. So, for these skills that are more or less exactly the same as skills they could pick up with the right program... why not let them have the Scholastic program or the bonus provided (whichever is higher).
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Razorwing wrote:So, for these skills that are more or less exactly the same as skills they could pick up with the right program... why not let them have the Scholastic program or the bonus provided (whichever is higher).

Because they didn't learn the skill as part of their scholastic training, they learned it as part of their Power Category training. That's why the scholastic bonus doesn't apply to those skills. A Mystic Study didn't learn Archaeology at a college, he learned it from his wizard mentor while also attending college for other things.

However, if the character actually takes the skill through an educational skill program (i.e., a Mystic Study taking Archaeology through the Science program), then they would apply the skill program bonus.

And to be clear for the sake of others who have misunderstood my earlier responses, I do still maintain that the I.Q. bonus applies to all skills. My stance in that regard has not changed.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”