Mad Max meets Dawn of the Dead.

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

CyCo
Hero

Mad Max meets Dawn of the Dead.

Unread post by CyCo »

Warning, the following video contains graphical violence, gouts of gore, and naughty adult words.

Wyrmwood : Road of the Dead.

Discuss.

;]
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Re: Mad Max meets Dawn of the Dead.

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Looks terrible! :D
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Doesn't it just!!! Terribly awesome!!

8]
Eureka!
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

I'd watch it.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

I did. They had a 'one nite only' session for Friday the 13th. So went and saw it tonite.

Oh lol. There's certainly plenty of funny bits. Just dripping with 'Ozstralia', speech, carryings on. So yeah, it's cheap. It's cheesy. It's nasty. But it was bloody awesome! 8]
Eureka!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Just in case you were thinking of giving this a miss;

The little Aussie film that could: Wyrmwood more pirated than 50 Shades of Grey

WYRMWOOD is proving to be the little film that could.

It’s one of the most pirated movies in the world, beating out American Sniper and 50 Shades Of Grey.

It had the most viewed trailer on iTunes last week and received rave reviews everywhere from The New York Times to Variety.

It took nearly $100,000 on its first night of release in Australia and has already scored a coveted distribution deal in the US.

Not bad for a flick made by Australian brothers Kiah and Tristan Roache-Turner at their mum’s place.

“It has completely exceeded my wildest expectations,” laughs Tristan.

“When we were making the film we kind of thought ‘This is only going to appeal to 13 and 15-year-old boys’.

“But the response has been mad — we’ve been getting some really good kudos.

“We always had faith in it being a good, unique idea that people hadn’t seen before and we knew people would like it, but not to this extent.”

Wyrmwood was originally supposed to have a one night only theatrical release in Australia, opening on 74 screens on Friday the 13th.

Yet an overwhelming response and sold out sessions across the country saw its run being extended for weeks in some cinemas.

The zombie survivalist horror film was the result of three years of hard work from the brothers after they decided to pool their money together and chase their dream of making the kind of movie they loved watching.

“My brother and I thought we could either buy a house, put a deposit down, or make a movie,” says Tristan.

“So we thought f*** it, let’s make a movie.”

Their combined savings only got them so far, with Wyrmwood also being bankrolled by multiple crowd-funding companies, DVD pre-sales, loans and “borrowing from mum and dad”.

In fact, the Roache-Turner parents had a lot to do with the production, with their parents’ properties in Granville and Roseville being used as locations for the film.

“Mum even did the catering when we shot at her place,” he says.

Tristan — who is an electrician by trade — had his “tradie mates” build sets for the film while Kiah — who works at cult label Aussie Bum — became the “marketing man”.

Yet therein lies the trouble: although having Wyrmwood reach a massive audience through the illegal torrenting of the film online has been great for awareness, it’s generated little monetary gain for the siblings who literally invested everything to bring their story to life.

“It was in the top 10 most pirated films on Pirate Bay for 10 days running ahead of American Sniper, The Imitation Game and all these blockbuster films,” says Tristan.

“I’m in two minds because I’ve made a film so now I’m in the industry, but I’m not really in the industry.

“I’m still a tradie and we just made the movie for fun. A lot of people who torrented would have never seen the film otherwise.”

Yet as Kiah told The Feed on SBS: “It’s fantastic and horrible all at the same time … You watch, you buy, we eat.”

So what’s next for the Roache-Turner brothers who between them managed to write, direct, produce, edit, shoot, design and do all the special effects for one of the biggest surprise hits of the year so far?

“A twisted ghost story,” says Tristan.

“It’s an exciting time to be making movies.”

That it is.

8]
Eureka!

Return to “Dead Reign™”