Who should roll perception?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

magictiger
Explorer

Who should roll perception?

Unread post by magictiger »

Hi Guys,
Im asking this because I watched something on youtube from a different rpg game about how a GM handles perception in it. It sounded like it works basically the same in Dead Reign and Rifts, but he handles it differently. Instead of the players rolling it, "He" the GM, rolls it instead for each player. Its his understanding that perception falls under 'player knowledge'. He doesn't really go into how he tells his players what they see or hear, even though I imagine notes being passed to players happens if only one or two see something the others don't maybe.

1. Have you guys used something similar in your games? And if so, How? I like to hear some examples because this idea sounds worth exploring in my games.

He also mentions he does skill rolls for the players too, like prowl and pick pockets for the same reason as above, 'player knowledge'.

2. The same question as 1, but for rolling the players skills??

Thanks guys.
CyCo
Hero

Re: Who should roll perception?

Unread post by CyCo »

I've done it both ways in the same campaign.

Lets say that a character is actively searching/being observant. Let the player make the roll. If it's something that you need to know if the players 'casually' spot, you roll for them. When ever you roll the dice in place of a player, if it's for perception or other (like a saving throw), you have to reward them with some feedback or description. "Say Bob, your character Rastus notices a scrap of paper just peeking out behind that chest of draws". Likewise, when the players roll, let them know what's happening. "Bob, after looking around the room, you feel sure you've checked everything (failed roll, or even a successful roll but there wasn't anything to find)", or "Bob, as you look around the room, you spot what seems to be some paper behind the draws".

When I used to run Ravenloft, I'd have the players roll a d20 20 times, and I'd note down their results, then get their 'spot/listen/etc skills modifiers off them, and note them down. So when they're wandering around the 'haunted swamps', rather than having them roll and spoil the mood with game mechanics, I'd roll a d20 for their spot/listen check, and see if they make the check or not. Works for detecting surprise attacks/ambushes too. Used a similar system in Cyberpunk 2020 with great effect too. The reason for rolling to determine which result to use, is so that the players can't keep a mental/written list of their results and it retains the suspense.

Both systems work, but sometimes you have to judge whether the players or you should make the roll. Players get satisfaction from successful skill checks, just like dicing for combat. Every now and then, let them roll a perception roll. After all, we all love to roll dice.

8]
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!

Return to “Dead Reign™”