Bird Baby Breeding in Avalon

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Bird Baby Breeding in Avalon

Unread post by Tor »

In Mutants in Avalon, Arthur (pg 72) is a Raven and Genaever (Pg 73) is a Swan.

Are they able to have children together? They're both birds, but of different species.

Same inquiry regarding Lancelot (Pg 74) who is a Goshawk (also a bird) and Perceval (Pg 79) who is a pheasant (bird too).

I don't know biology very well and don't know if these species are close enough IRL to crossbreed and I don't know whether or not that would hold equal restrictions in the world of After the Bomb seeing as how there are other differences due to the massive changes made to the DNA in becoming humanoid.

Also on an unrelated note, if Merlin (pg 75) doesn't have listed HP because he's not killable, why is he even given SDC? The only possible explanation I can think is maybe if he learns the ritual "Create Golem" (PF, Rifts) some day and needs SDC to spend to invest in them?

Also I am wondering why he is a Time Lord, or basically, who taught him. His relationship with the Time Lords isn't established. I'm wondering just how old he was, because since he's from a past era, and the Timestream wasn't discovered or entered THAT long ago (in the common era I believe) it might mean that someone had to purposefully go back and seek him out to teach it to him.

While it describes him as a Wizard, that's not a valid explanation, because while Time Lords can cast wizard magic, wizards can not cast or learn time lord magic.

Although you can be both classes, as proven by Max the Merchant.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
CyCo
Hero

Re: Bird Baby Breeding in Avalon

Unread post by CyCo »

Tor wrote:In Mutants in Avalon, Arthur (pg 72) is a Raven and Genaever (Pg 73) is a Swan.

Are they able to have children together? They're both birds, but of different species.

Same inquiry regarding Lancelot (Pg 74) who is a Goshawk (also a bird) and Perceval (Pg 79) who is a pheasant (bird too).

I don't know biology very well and don't know if these species are close enough IRL to crossbreed and I don't know whether or not that would hold equal restrictions in the world of After the Bomb seeing as how there are other differences due to the massive changes made to the DNA in becoming humanoid.

Just hitting up Google and following the first link to Yahoo Answers (not the most reliable source of answers I know. lol), if birds the birds in question are from closely related species, then yet. Otherwise, no. Look at the latin names of the birds in question. if the first part of the name is the same, then they can interbreed. If not , they cant.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

answer.. not without outside help in the form of a genetics lab (or in ATB2 a genetics lab in a box.. :) )
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by DevastationBob »

Raven and Swan, no, goshawk and pheasant, no. They could adopt. IIRC the original Arthur didn't have any heirs. Though he could with Morgan since she's a raven too...though oddly Mordred isn't....
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The Mordred in Avalon isn't actually Arthur and Morgana's child.

Arthur and Morgana are both Ravens and could breed, true... but they also share the same mother.

It's one thing to name yourself after old figures, but the similarities between their history and the Arthurian legend makes me think that there could be something to the Druid's belief in reincarnation.

Also I am totally watching Merlin season 5 episode 10 right now.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”