Carl Syphrett's Geiger Organization in Rifter 12

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Carl Syphrett's Geiger Organization in Rifter 12

Unread post by Tor »

I always found this an interesting section, and it can't be solely due to the power creep. The whole enchanted mask / hood thing and the grid smith / duo sider thing in particular. I like the idea of people being able to design devices that mimic super abilities in the same way people do with TW for magic or Psi-Mechanic/Gizmoteer for psi. I heard there might be something like this in Powers Unlimited 2 but I'm not sure if it operates the same way.

In particular with the grid smith, the examples it gives and how they would work with a device are pretty straight forward. Wingless Flight from a jet pack, Control Time (not sure where this power is though) from a wand, Control Space (same) from a harness, Create Force Field from a van.

When we try to imagine how other powers might be built into other devices it gets a bit tricky though. For example, if you imbued the power of Invulnerability into a machine, would it make a human activating it invulnerable? Or would it only make the machine itself invulnerable? Could multiple powers be built into a single device? Could people besides the Grid Smith creator spend ISP to activate their Grid Gadgets?

Some other things interesting to think about: could a Lybokja use his massive thousands PPE (which gets spent permanently regardless) to build an astral realm? Could a duo-sider step into a pocket dimension for half a minute to recharge between transformations? Could someone steal Julian Poe or Hugh Younger's rituals? How do they compare to other magical ways to imbue super abilities to people en masse (the wizard in Century Station who does zodiac-based ones).

Also is it just me or does Gig O'Brian have far too much ISP? I worked out the numbers and even with max rolls that much shouldn't be possible, plus the way it was worded I figured ISP was also reduced whenever PPE was permanently spent to create super gadgets since it was based on PPE. Similar to how an Astral Lord might sacrifice PPE to gain ISP or a Mage loses PPE to create their realm.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”