Looking for help with Natural Combat Ability

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gottork1967
Megaversal® Ambassador

Looking for help with Natural Combat Ability

Unread post by gottork1967 »

Still new to GMing Palladium products, just fyi. I have a character in my game who is lvl 3, he has this super power, very cool power, but now I am trying to give him a stand up fight, cause that is why he made the character and I cannot find anything that he can fight without him obviously being able to dominate the entire thing..

I am looking for a super power besides negate super powers, any help would be appreciated. I know with all the powers out there I can easily dominate it but I dont wanna make him regret building his character, I wanna at least give him a fighting chance..
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Re: Looking for help with Natural Combat Ability

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

How about Heavyweight, Giant and Increased Durability (to make the guy tough), then Extraordinary Physical Strength and Feral (to make him more of a threat and give him a few little extra perks).

Basically, five minor powers (which I believe is book legal for either a mutant or experiment) to make a human punching-bag who'll last a while and should get in a few good hits of his own.

EDIT: just realised, I don't know if the character in question has powers other than Natural Combat Ability - I'm assuming so. If he does, take the powers above and swap out Extr. P.S. for Superhuman P.S., and maybe drop Increased Durability and either Giant or Heavyweight for the major power of Tremendous S.D.C. instead.

Same idea - human punch-bag - but'll last longer, and still book legal with three minor powers and one major.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Have him fight something that doesn't actually fight. No skill means nothing to copy. Yes he will be still pretty good but he won't get better after 15 seconds (unless he has a friend to copy). Demons, robots and animals are good candidates.

Negate powers is a good one, or steal powers.

Lockdown will be your friend though. A psionic can easily shut down an unprotected hero (bio-manipulation-paralysis) as can a few superpowers with ME based saving throws. Bubble blast (?) is also usefull in that regard.

A flying villain with a ranged attack can keep him right out of the fight. Likewise a mimic will give him a decent run for his money.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Mephisto wrote:
Iczer wrote:Have him fight something that doesn't actually fight. No skill means nothing to copy. Yes he will be still pretty good but he won't get better after 15 seconds (unless he has a friend to copy). Demons, robots and animals are good candidates.

Negate powers is a good one, or steal powers.

Lockdown will be your friend though. A psionic can easily shut down an unprotected hero (bio-manipulation-paralysis) as can a few superpowers with ME based saving throws. Bubble blast (?) is also usefull in that regard.

A flying villain with a ranged attack can keep him right out of the fight. Likewise a mimic will give him a decent run for his money.

Batts

Mystically Bestowed will have the moxy to both cast spells and punch him in the face. Hardware: Mechanical with his roving robots of doom will annoy him, but he can't copy them. He might be able to learn to fight the Android, but can't really hurt him...so many options aren't there my friend? And good to see you again.

always here. usually vewy vewy quiet.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

gottork1967 wrote:Still new to GMing Palladium products, just fyi. I have a character in my game who is lvl 3, he has this super power, very cool power, but now I am trying to give him a stand up fight, cause that is why he made the character and I cannot find anything that he can fight without him obviously being able to dominate the entire thing..

I am looking for a super power besides negate super powers, any help would be appreciated. I know with all the powers out there I can easily dominate it but I dont wanna make him regret building his character, I wanna at least give him a fighting chance..

Well just toss Gravity Manipulation against him and either make him to heavy to move or leave him floating in the air.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Daniel Stoker wrote:
gottork1967 wrote:Still new to GMing Palladium products, just fyi. I have a character in my game who is lvl 3, he has this super power, very cool power, but now I am trying to give him a stand up fight, cause that is why he made the character and I cannot find anything that he can fight without him obviously being able to dominate the entire thing..

Well just toss Gravity Manipulation against him and either make him to heavy to move or leave him floating in the air.

Daniel Stoker

AFAIK Force manipulation doesn't allow a dodge or save vs it's various a sub-abilities. So you could pick him up and squeeze, or just toss him violently around.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Well, against someone with Slow-Motion Control the NCA guy's powers aren't negated so much as reduced: halve the combat bonuses and the number of attacks, and halve any damage he manages to inflict (against a guy who can hold his own when it comes to automatic dodges, yet). Likewise against someone with Control Kinetic Energy: remove the NCAer's combat bonuses, but leave him the extra attacks to deal out extra damage (but factor in that our hero can get injured by his own redirected blows).

So it's still a fight; it's not like the NCA guy is futilely slugging it out with an Invulnerable foe, or someone with APS Liquid, it's that he just now lost initiative and has his hands full, is all.
gottork1967
Megaversal® Ambassador

all great ideas guys, thanks, I already ran him through a fight with a sonic flight and energy expulsion, he did not farewell, just kept asking, can I mimic his fighting style? I laughed and said yeah but you cant fly or do energy expulsion now can you.. He was frustrated but in the end it was a draw, he retreated to fight another day..

same thing with my grav manip/ice mutant in the same game, so I am doing alot of research and seeing what new powers are out there.. got alot of great ideas from the net stuff in the thread of new powers and bought alot of books since I posted this..

keep the ideas coming though..:D
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

gottork1967 wrote:all great ideas guys, thanks, I already ran him through a fight with a sonic flight and energy expulsion, he did not farewell, just kept asking, can I mimic his fighting style? I laughed and said yeah but you cant fly or do energy expulsion now can you.. He was frustrated but in the end it was a draw, he retreated to fight another day..
Yeah, mimicking fighting style is nothing when you have to fight people with powers.

gottork1967 wrote:got alot of great ideas from the net stuff in the thread of new powers and bought alot of books since I posted this..

The more resources you have the better when it comes to being a GM. Glad you found stuff you could use.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
gottork1967
Megaversal® Ambassador

Got a new question, everytime he goes into combat, he think his NCA should extend through anything he does.. He put on power armor last night and was pissed he lost abilities cause he does not have the power armor elite skill, only power armor basic..

trying to find a way to explain it to him, cause his debate is he can pic up any weapon and know how to use it with no difficulties.. so why is he hindered for power armor..and why doesnt he get to keep his bonuses, I did explain how it works from the skill description but he didnt get it
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

gottork1967 wrote:Got a new question, everytime he goes into combat, he think his NCA should extend through anything he does.. He put on power armor last night and was pissed he lost abilities cause he does not have the power armor elite skill, only power armor basic..

trying to find a way to explain it to him, cause his debate is he can pic up any weapon and know how to use it with no difficulties.. so why is he hindered for power armor..and why doesnt he get to keep his bonuses, I did explain how it works from the skill description but he didnt get it

because power armor isn't a weapon in and of itself, it's a machine that enhances your body assuming you know how to use it properly. His body lets his muscles/nerves naturally adapt to new styles and situations, but they don't tell him what all the crap on his HUD means.

If he had Machine Merge power, i'd probablly let it work. but not NCA on it's own.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
csyphrett
Adventurer

Unread post by csyphrett »

Does he ahve any other power than NCA? he might need to fall back on those some. nekira is right about the armor itself, but he can still use any weapons as if they were part of his body. Tell him to grab the machine gun and leave the armor.
CES

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”