Alpha missiles?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kagashi
Champion

Alpha missiles?

Unread post by Kagashi »

Page 70 tSC Deluxe. Second picture from the top on the right. I cannot account for those particular missiles in the description of the MM-60 and they appear to be void in other pictures of the Alpha in fighter mode. It looks to be some sort of mod for an extra 8 missiles and a gun pod mount for fighter mode, but I see no description anywhere in the RPG, nor do I recall them being present in the show. Anybody have any more info on these extra missiles? What happens to them in Battloid mode? Are they from the comics? Robotech Art books?

Thanks.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Alpha missiles?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

preproduction art not used in the show for an extra missile pod. did get used by the toy and model producers for MOSPEADA, because it helped them reinforce the arm position in fighter mode for their transforming toys and models. on the toys the pod stays stuck to the back of the left shoulder in guardian and battloid modes.

since it was never used in the show, it is not part of the game stats.. consider it an easter egg and possible inspiration for a homebrew option.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

glitterboy2098 wrote:preproduction art not used in the show for an extra missile pod. did get used by the toy and model producers for MOSPEADA, because it helped them reinforce the arm position in fighter mode for their transforming toys and models. on the toys the pod stays stuck to the back of the left shoulder in guardian and battloid modes.

since it was never used in the show, it is not part of the game stats.. consider it an easter egg and possible inspiration for a homebrew option.

Cool, thanks. That does give me an idea to mount three gunpods in fighter mode for an assault mission.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Yeah, like the top mounted gun pod gives you a bonus to strike (in addition to its standard bonus) since it has a straight on trajectory as opposed to the wing/leg mounted (standard) version which you would have to compensate by being off center if it were fixed forward. Perhaps this is the reason for the mod.

However, the mod seems to also cover the inside launchers of the Alpha's forearms, which means 10 missiles would be unusable as long as the mod was in place. Perhaps that is the reason for the extra 8 missiles firing forward.

I do not see where the mod would go in Battloid mode though seeing the nose of the fighter mode folds backwards to form the back of the Battloid. Additionally, the mod sits on what would be the legs and supported by what would be the arms, so when transforming into Guardian mode, it would not be attached to anything either. I think it would have to be ejected and dropped behind should the Alpha transform into either Battloid or Guardian mode. Then what happens to the missiles not used? wasted. This mod would be ideal for Red Alphas whom are trying to maintain an air superiority role.

Or, the launchers splits in two and creates more "shoulder" when in battloid mode?
Updated Aug 2015
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Gryphon wrote:It remains attached to the right shoulder, up and behind the shoulder section there, and the gunpod would stay with it, so that isn't really an issue. The covered forearm launchers might be an issue, but honestly, I have never been particularly clear what launchers are masked in fighter mode really, so its hard for me to say.

Well in the animation the Alpha IN FIGHTER MODE uses the:
2-2x4 upper arm launchers (primarily)
4-1x5 forearm launchers (never)
2-1x4 inner lower leg launchers (on occasion)
4-1x4 outer lower leg launchers (never, blocked)

The 1x5 forearm launchers, 2 might have clearance issues with the slanted vertical tail, the other 2 might also have clearance issues with themselves if fired (at least in volleys, singly they might still work).
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Gryphon wrote:It remains attached to the right shoulder, up and behind the shoulder section there, and the gunpod would stay with it, so that isn't really an issue. The covered forearm launchers might be an issue, but honestly, I have never been particularly clear what launchers are masked in fighter mode really, so its hard for me to say.

On the model you spoke up earlier?
Updated Aug 2015
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Cool, thanks a bunch. I think I have a very good understanding now and can incorporate it into my campaigns. I'm going to use it as a mod to beef up non-shadow veritechs that survived the Invid Invasion to bring them a little more up to speed with the more modern UEEF/REF equipment that came from the Pioneer mission. (Shadows will get the Super Shadow treatment, but remove the Haydonite Trojan Horses like Shadow Devices and Syncho Cannons).
Updated Aug 2015
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

IIrc The Destabilzer Cannon acts as a Normal combat gunpod but must be attached to the Fighters Sholder mount to draw extra energy from the Fighter itself in order to use the Destabilzer function. This is shown on screen near the end of the series. It would be nice to add that functionality to the VHT's

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”