psionic and magic

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

oger333
Explorer

psionic and magic

Unread post by oger333 »

anyone use psionics or magic in there games , or any ideas for classes or powers/ablites
Icefalcon
Champion

Re: psionic and magic

Unread post by Icefalcon »

oger333 wrote:anyone use psionics or magic in there games , or any ideas for classes or powers/ablites

I don't think that either belong in the game.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Icefalcon
Champion

Mynameisnatan wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:
oger333 wrote:anyone use psionics or magic in there games , or any ideas for classes or powers/ablites

The zombies are magic based though.

Aside from their ability to sense PPE and heal when they feed, not really. If you take away both of those abilities like most people here do, then there is nothing magical about them.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Icefalcon wrote:
Mynameisnatan wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:

The zombies are magic based though.

Aside from their ability to sense PPE and heal when they feed, not really. If you take away both of those abilities like most people here do, then there is nothing magical about them.

They're animated corpses, how can that not constitute being magical? Plus since they do actually sense PPE and heal when feeding on the victims you can't handwave that away to try and strengthen your case because they do have them.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Epically
Explorer

Unread post by Epically »

I'd say supernatural, not magical.

However, in saying so, there is magic, mutations (good and bad) and psionics in my game.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

I could see a low powered magic setting. Maybe O.C.C. and P.C.C. from BtS.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I don't think I'd allow anyone the power to fly or levitate. Being able to easily escape from a convergent mob by going over their heads removes pretty much the whole element of danger presented by the zombies in the first place.

--flatline
Icefalcon
Champion

flatline wrote:I don't think I'd allow anyone the power to fly or levitate. Being able to easily escape from a convergent mob by going over their heads removes pretty much the whole element of danger presented by the zombies in the first place.

--flatline

If you are going to use magic, then have flying zombies.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Mynameisnatan wrote:The cultists also know how to channel PPE so they technically are magic users.

Not sure that technically qualifies as magic. That's not the only thing PPE can be channeled to do. Are nega-psychics magic users? Larhold Human Renegades? The cultists are the likeliest candidates to learn anything in DR though, will give you that.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

Magic and psionics were always envisioned as a very thin veneer on the game world and were intended to be easily removed to suit the tastes of the players and GM's.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yendor »

Not really, since most I know don't like Dead Reign as is, or the zombie genre in general. However, it all depends on how your zombies are active. One example.

"[b]Mask I.S.P. & Psionics[\b]: One of us. One of us. Heh, sorry. Psychics using this ability only have to worry about masking their scent from zombies (it basically renders them invisible to the zombie’s ability to sense P.P.E., since it also affects the ability of see aura, which one could say it functions along the same lines of sense P.P.E.)."
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

My answer is "it depends on the tone of the game you wish to run" Some GMs and groups might like the idea of magic or psionics, others might find it so out of place they remove the PPE systems. Its all about what sort of story your looking to run/play.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
scottypotty
D-Bee

Unread post by scottypotty »

I don't think magic fits the theme. Other games would be better suited, just add zombies. Characters aren't supposed to have the upper hand. But it's each GM's choice to use any of the books as they see fit. Personally, I don't think PPE should even be in the game. But cultists need something to be relevant, otherwise they're just a collection of disturbed individuals.
Icefalcon
Champion

In the long run, the explanation I like for zombies is some kind of virus that keeps the feral parts of the brain working.
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

The way the setting (when it was still a specific setting) was conceived and written magic and psionics were flavor and background more than anything else, the sugar on the donuts.

As printed I would probably eradicate the ppe, magic, and psionics that are implied.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Icefalcon
Champion

I am flexible. If the whole setting has magic and psionics, then that is what I run with. If there is no magic, I run with that. The way it was presented as "kinds-sorta, psuedo-magical" is what makes it undesirable to run the way it is.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Yendor wrote:"[b]Mask I.S.P. & Psionics[\b]: One of us. One of us. Heh, sorry. Psychics using this ability only have to worry about masking their scent from zombies (it basically renders them invisible to the zombie’s ability to sense P.P.E., since it also affects the ability of see aura, which one could say it functions along the same lines of sense P.P.E.)."

Masking ISP and psionics doesn't mask your PPE, I think you're thinknig of the OTHER power from Psyscape.

The world could still be pretty scary for a lot of psychics (even masters could get challenged by the pure MASS of enemies) and even mages.

Admittedly, spells like Fly like the Eagle would be incredibly useful, but even those only last so long, and if you set down on top of some new building: eventually you're going to need to rest and get your PPE back. Is the building secured from zombies so you can meditate or sleep? Is there a cult read to capture you?

One option for bringing magic into this world making it harder to exploit would be to utilize the sorcerous disadvantage in TTGD of 'ritual only' so that any magic you use would take a long time to prep, adding a lot of suspense as your friends fight off zombies while you cast the spell, and limiting the whole instant-escape-via-flight trick.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Dead Reign™”