Lycanthrope fun

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Lycanthrope fun

Unread post by cyberdon »

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Re: Lycanthrope fun

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

cyberdon wrote:Are there any in the Rifts setting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ILOKvB ... re=related

They're in conversion book one (I think its one). They are pretty awesome. Check out The Trappings of the Wolf in AKASHIC COMPILATIONS in my signature for a watered down "magic" version of the Loup. The "mechanics" for their special damage resistance mechanic is pretty much identical to that of the standard Rifts Lycanthrope.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by cyberdon »

Exxxcellent. :)
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

cyberdon wrote:Exxxcellent. :)

I love the fact that they're immortal except for silver. Very cool. But I dont really understand why the attacks of Lycanthropes automatically do Hit Point damage to the undead.... *shrugs*
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

expect much werewolf fun in the future too.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Akashic Soldier wrote:
cyberdon wrote:Are there any in the Rifts setting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ILOKvB ... re=related

They're in conversion book one (I think its one). They are pretty awesome. Check out The Trappings of the Wolf in AKASHIC COMPILATIONS in my signature for a watered down "magic" version of the Loup. The "mechanics" for their special damage resistance mechanic is pretty much identical to that of the standard Rifts Lycanthrope.

While were-being were in the RCB1, with redoing of the conversion books they were moved to the RDC and were not included in the RCB1r.
------------------
There are also the "Children of the Moon" were-people in rifters 4&5.

They were posted online before but the only place I know (now) of where they are is in the below.

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Tribes of the Moon main page: http://web.archive.org/web/200504191909 ... -index.php
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

paxmiles wrote:Skraypers also has a superpower of Lycanothropy. It's probably not as good as the one in the conversion book, but it can be taken in addition to an OCC, unlike the conversion book one.
-Pax

So you can have werewolf advertizing executives and werepanther paratroopers. :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
One Hand Clapping
Wanderer

Unread post by One Hand Clapping »

I'm partial to Lycanthropes being victims of an "infection," rather than a species. Or at least having the option of playing Lycanthropy as a communicable disease.
"I once heard that Kevin Siembieda shot a man... just to watch him die. "
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

One Hand Clapping wrote:I'm partial to Lycanthropes being victims of an "infection," rather than a species. Or at least having the option of playing Lycanthropy as a communicable disease.

"The good news is, it's not rabies. The bad news..."
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

paxmiles wrote:Skraypers also has a superpower of Lycanothropy. It's probably not as good as the one in the conversion book, but it can be taken in addition to an OCC, unlike the conversion book one.
-Pax

the scraypers lycanothropy is a conversion of the HU1 lyc. power.
The new version of this power is in HU2.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

If it is the classic "Curse" Style of Lycanthrope, than the "Lycanthrope" in question may not even know that he/she is a Lycanthrope. On the the nights of the "Full Moon" Cycle, The Lycanthrope changes into a Bloodthirsty monster who's only thought and purpose is to Kill, Kill, Kill! The Next day, the Lycanthrope has absolutely no recollection of the events of the previous night.

Of Course this is just 1 version of Lycanthropy. There are others to be sure.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I got it two players make charters one jackob makes a vampire and edward a Lycanthrope wolf. Throw in a female nega Psi girl friend for them to fight over. And you have the making of a nightmare for lots of people.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
One Hand Clapping
Wanderer

Unread post by One Hand Clapping »

paxmiles wrote:
One Hand Clapping wrote:I'm partial to Lycanthropes being victims of an "infection," rather than a species. Or at least having the option of playing Lycanthropy as a communicable disease.

Could be interesting, but that sort of thing often pisses of PCs and doesn't work very well in the rifts setting.

In example, I have a PC wake up with MOM implants in their head. They don't remember what happened last night, just they were drinking a little too much... Doesn't matter what class they were, they are now crazy OCC.

In a similar sense, if I had a character become a werewolf, it would stand to reason that they would face a class change to the werewolf RCC.

Now, if doing the werewolf as a super power, could make it communicable and not force a class change, but how is it transfered? If by slash attacks from another were creature, don't forget that most humans will be killed instantly if hit with any MD attacks. Likewise, if attack isn't MD, it is unlikely this will come up much in an adventure. I really think the lycanthropy disease is probably not very fitting for Rifts.

Other big issue is if the character is of a class/faction that will be very crippled by becoming a were creature. All of the CS occs are incompatable with become a were creature (d-bee in their eyes). Likewise, a magic user probably can't cast spells in were form (need speach and hand signs), so could be crippling there. A character with cybernetics or other implants (crazy, borg, headhunter, juicer) would find their implants rejected when they transformed, which could present a major disaster. Lastly, a pilot character would find themselves unable to man their controls if transformed.

In general, suggest steering clear of in-game features that cripple players too much. I suppose if the group is were wolf hunters, and they understand the risk coming into the game, it could work well.
-Pax

You have some good points Pax, but I have to disagree with you. I think Lycanthropy as a magical disease ( or a disease-like curse) can definitely work, if handled correctly.

Depending on the degree to which the condition afflicts the PC, I don't think becoming a Lycanthrope would necessitate a class change. This is assuming that the PC remains himself a majority of the time (maybe he only changes during full moons, or when exposed to very high levels of P.P.E. such as a nexus, or upon getting extremely enraged, etc.). Becoming a Lycanthrope wouldn't mean changing permanently into a monster, like vampirism does. Rather, it's a medical condition that comes and goes with the appropriate triggers.

You're right that infection by scratch or bite would be moot to SDC creatures, since such an attack (being MD) would most likely kill the victim. Still, there are other routes of entry for the disease. Maybe the PC gets some of the werewolf's blood or saliva in an open wound, or maybe some of the werewolf's blood splashes on his face and gets in his mouth (assuming he's got no face protection for some reason). Anyways, you get the idea.

Now, I'm aware that this leaves avenues for abuse, since you'll get those players who start trying to slip werewolf blood into an NPC's drink just for kicks... But for such cases, I would rule that a lycanthrope's blood/saliva/other bodily fluids become inert within a few minutes of being extracted from a werewolf's body (or something along those lines).

Also, there's no reason that lycanthropy need be incurable. It shouldn't be something that's cured easily (basic magic or psionics healing shouldn't be enough) otherwise no one would be walking around infected. I'd say it should be difficult or expensive to cure (but possible) for a group of adventurers. Alternately, lycanthropy could be curable but only within a certain amount of time after infection. If the condition isn't cured within this window, you're screwed. Another approach is to say that lycanthropy is incurable but still treatable. Consequently, an afflicted PC could still manage the condition (perhaps by regularly taking a certain herb or magical potion) but should he miss a dosage...

I would definitely say that certain creatures should automatically be immune to lycanthropy (dragons, fairies, most demons and creatures of magic, Xiticix, etc.). You're absolutely right to say that this is something that could drastically affect certain character types (such as Coalition PCs) and cybernetics would be lost in the transformation. However, these are the dangers of Rifts Earth. There are a lot of things that can kill or permanently alter a PC in Rifts (for instance, any mage could be knocked unconscious and wake up a full conversion slave 'borg, if his GM really wanted to be cruel).It's the GM's job to use such elements judiciously and fairly. Players who needlessly pick fights with lycanthropes shouldn't complain when their characters get infected. In my opinion, lycanthropy isn't inherently more dangerous or disruptive to players than vampirism or similar conditions.

My apologies for the protracted post.
"I once heard that Kevin Siembieda shot a man... just to watch him die. "
BloodAnjiel
D-Bee

Unread post by BloodAnjiel »

So can werewolves and werebeasts from RCB1 have occs or not?
Death on wings
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

BloodAnjiel wrote:So can werewolves and werebeasts from RCB1 have occs or not?

sadly no, but the RCB3 stats do provide a number of RCC skills for them.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”