Question on the Location of Century Station?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Re: Question on the Location of Century Station?

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Its location can be anyplace where the G.M. wants it. However, it has some Spanish names which
means it wouldn't be along the Northeast or Northwest of the country.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Yeah they specifically state you can put it anywhere. That being said it's on the coast of something or another. be it the ocean, a sea, or a big lake. Gramercy island is out in the water off the coast of Century Station.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

IMHO Gramercy island = A type of Alcatraz.

I would put Century Station Somewhere along the cost of Southern California but that is just me.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

FreelancerMar wrote:IMHO Gramercy island = A type of Alcatraz.

I would put Century Station Somewhere along the cost of Southern California but that is just me.

The reason I have a problem doing that is because Gramercy is East of the main land. I like to pretend Century Station is part of a man made island off the East Coast of Florida. It is also the biggest city on this island.

I do find Century Station a little bit tough to use.

How do you guys use it?
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

lol it's not just your opinion. It's written explicitly to be exactly that. "A type of Alcatraz"

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Juce734 wrote:

The reason I have a problem doing that is because Gramercy is East of the main land. I like to pretend Century Station is part of a man made island off the East Coast of Florida. It is also the biggest city on this island.

I do find Century Station a little bit tough to use.

How do you guys use it?

If you wannt it west coast you can always just change references from 'East" to 'west.' No big thing. hell you can put it on Alcatraz island itself if you WANT. (( but lose a bit of lore if you do that)

I use Century Station just fine. As to "how" I use it, it's much like all the RPGs. In that "I use the parts I need, and the parts I don't, remain unused till I need them or till I need to change something"

It's pretty cool that it's such a big center for supers. Allows for all sort of power level in the game. From huge mega heros that take care of the things threatening the City itself or the country. All the way down to my group's more prefered. "Gutter games" Where we play second or even third string sets of heros that take on stuff that the 'MEGA'S" can't take time out of their day to handle. Lets us keep it more personal and down to earth, while also being able to pitich in on the big things.

We handle the smaller villians (( ones of our power level)) and if big things happen our groups are usually called on for back up or such. If the Centurians are fighting off an alien fleet dropping in from another dimension, our little team might get assigned a single neiborhood or stregic local to defend. A bridge or a tower, or the prision. ect.

We've even had games where the 'Big teams' have been 'called away' and our smaller 'home town team' had to step up and fill the 'bigger roles' while the Mega's were away.

our group doesn't like the SUPER SUPER SUPER mega powerful heroes. That's not to say we're whimps, but you know, we're more "Xmen" or 'New warriors" types over "GODS" and such. Nothing wrong with those guys, but it's hard to keep a game going if every encounter is on that super arcing level of danger. You run out of 'one upmanship' unless things get stupid.

BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

Century Station is supposed to be the HU equivalent of Metropolis or Gotham City. A fictional city which has no fixed location.
So, you can just leave it vague.
Despite the spanish names, I always imagined it being on the east coast.
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

For me it was always east coast too. Sort of a "Super powered Sister City" to NYC, or for me, Boston.

Though it'd work just as well in the great lakes region. but Billion hit it right on the head, it's 100% an analog of Metropolis. (( Gotham was clearly NYC, while Metropolis was more 'generic and could have been anywhere'.))

BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler

Pepsi Jedi wrote:For me it was always east coast too. Sort of a "Super powered Sister City" to NYC, or for me, Boston.

Though it'd work just as well in the great lakes region. but Billion hit it right on the head, it's 100% an analog of Metropolis. (( Gotham was clearly NYC, while Metropolis was more 'generic and could have been anywhere'.))

Well, in terms of feel, it's a weird cross of the two. It's like what if Metropolis crashed into the ground and turned into Gotham City. :)
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Which was probably exactly what they were aimin' for. lol

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:For me it was always east coast too. Sort of a "Super powered Sister City" to NYC, or for me, Boston.

IIRC, the DC Atlas placed "anywhere" in Delaware.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

The Beast wrote:

And how many times has it been changed and retaconned?

Metropolis has been in Kansas for like 11 years on Smallville. *Shrugs* I've heard "Mid west" as well.

PapaMambo
Dungeon Crawler
Location: Winter-peg.. or Winnipeg for those not in the know..

Unread post by PapaMambo »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Metropolis has been in Kansas for like 11 years on Smallville. *Shrugs* I've heard "Mid west" as well.

I've always assumed that Gotham was an analog of Chicago, and Metropolis was the analog for NYC (thus the Statue of Liberty)

If you read any official news about Gotham though, I believe it's supposed to be an amalgam of New York and Chicago. But Metropolis has always been New York as far as I can recall.

EDIT: After doing some more research, it appears we're all right - sort of. Century City's location is purposely left vague, as is Gotham and Metropolis in DC's Universe. At any time in the history of comics, Metropolis has been part of New York, Delaware, Conneticut, Kansas... Generally it appears to be Mid-west to East Coast though. And Gotham has been in New Jersey, Chicago, New York etc etc..

What I have read though (and appears to be backed up by multiple sources) is that Metropolis and Gotham are apparently within driving distance of each other. This would then lend credence to one being NYC, and the other being New Jersey perhaps??

Thus the reason I like Marvel - real cities, with locations that never move..
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'" - Anonymous
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

PapaMambo wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
The Beast wrote:

I've always assumed that Gotham was an analog of Chicago, and Metropolis was the analog for NYC (thus the Statue of Liberty)

If you read any official news about Gotham though, I believe it's supposed to be an amalgam of New York and Chicago. But Metropolis has always been New York as far as I can recall.

EDIT: After doing some more research, it appears we're all right - sort of. Century City's location is purposely left vague, as is Gotham and Metropolis in DC's Universe. At any time in the history of comics, Metropolis has been part of New York, Delaware, Conneticut, Kansas... Generally it appears to be Mid-west to East Coast though. And Gotham has been in New Jersey, Chicago, New York etc etc..

What I have read though (and appears to be backed up by multiple sources) is that Metropolis and Gotham are apparently within driving distance of each other. This would then lend credence to one being NYC, and the other being New Jersey perhaps??

Well.... Asgard kinda crashed to earth in the Mid west didn't it? *Grins* Not a 'city" but.. yeah. lol

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

PapaMambo wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
The Beast wrote:

there are references in the batman mythos that also places New Orleans only a days drive from gotham... and with the new mythos references to swamp marshes surrounding the 5 islands of gotham... that would place gotham in the southern states.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler

Damian Magecraft wrote:there are references in the batman mythos that also places New Orleans only a days drive from gotham... and with the new mythos references to swamp marshes surrounding the 5 islands of gotham... that would place gotham in the southern states.

Great. Now I am picturing the Batman talking in a southern drawl.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

BillionSix wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:there are references in the batman mythos that also places New Orleans only a days drive from gotham... and with the new mythos references to swamp marshes surrounding the 5 islands of gotham... that would place gotham in the southern states.

how is that any worse than a Boston accent? (there indications in older DC publications that it is near there as well)
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler

Damian Magecraft wrote:
BillionSix wrote:

how is that any worse than a Boston accent? (there indications in older DC publications that it is near there as well)

I could see the Waynes having a cultured, Ivy League kind of sound.
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LeeNapier »

FYI - Swamps do not equal southern states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Swam ... ife_Refuge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huron_Swamp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Swamp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Cypress_Swamp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockomock_Swamp

A swamp only requires wet lowlands.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

LeeNapier wrote:

true but couple it with New Orleans only being a days drive (as i said) does
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

After doing some research I know exactly where Century station is located.

It's located in RPG/Fantasy Land. :P *Very quickly ducks the incomming vegtables*
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
LeeNapier wrote:

But how long do you define a day for travel? You can drive from New Orleans to Chicago in 14 hours. Gotham could well be near the Great Lakes.

Just sayin'. :)
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Mercdog wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
LeeNapier wrote:

But how long do you define a day for travel? You can drive from New Orleans to Chicago in 14 hours. Gotham could well be near the Great Lakes.

ehhhh... Kinda sorta.. the computer says you can, but that's assuming absolute maximum speed every inch of the way, 0 traffic, and 0 stops. 0 refueling. Perfect weather.

I drove from NC to the UP of MI and it took more than 14 hours. lol

That being said, Yeah I had the same general thought. Some people might consider " A day's drive" to be equivalent of "A day of work" I.E. 8 hours. Some might think "From the time I get up till I go to bed" Roughly 16 hours or so.. but some would consider it 24 hours.

Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Mercdog wrote:But how long do you define a day for travel? You can drive from New Orleans to Chicago in 14 hours. Gotham could well be near the Great Lakes.

ehhhh... Kinda sorta.. the computer says you can, but that's assuming absolute maximum speed every inch of the way, 0 traffic, and 0 stops. 0 refueling. Perfect weather.

I drove from NC to the UP of MI and it took more than 14 hours. lol

That being said, Yeah I had the same general thought. Some people might consider " A day's drive" to be equivalent of "A day of work" I.E. 8 hours. Some might think "From the time I get up till I go to bed" Roughly 16 hours or so.. but some would consider it 24 hours.

Sooo... Add about 2 hours for Gas and Snacks? ;)
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I typically had Century Station on the west coast, near San Francisco with Gramercy Island replacing Alcatraz.
Another campaign, I simply had all of the locations of Century Station in Chicago, IL. post alien invasion with Gramercy Island being in Lake Michigan.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

How long did your campaign run before someone took out the Goldengate? 5.... 10 minutes, tops? *G*

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:How long did your campaign run before someone took out the Goldengate? 5.... 10 minutes, tops? *G*

mutant activists led by a man with a very "magnetic" personality had already taken out the bridge in game history :D
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:How long did your campaign run before someone took out the Goldengate? 5.... 10 minutes, tops? *G*

mutant activists led by a man with a very "magnetic" personality had already taken out the bridge in game history :D

I was pretty sure that got put back at the end of that game, didn't it?

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Texas. :bandit:
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Five miles south of Cardiff. :P
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:

I was pretty sure that got put back at the end of that game, didn't it?

It never came up actually.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”