Current Top Ten Tabletop RPG's

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Current Top Ten Tabletop RPG's

Unread post by dragonfett »

I was Stumbling the internet today when I came upon this article dated 15 Feb 2012.

http://listverse.com/2012/02/15/top-10- ... ing-games/

Coming in at number ten was Rifts. It makes me feel glad that this game is still popular enough to command this much attention that even with all the other games available, it is still in the top ten.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Re: Current Top Ten Tabletop RPG's

Unread post by Tiree »

I'm impressed that a game that has been out of print for nearly a decade. And the company has folded, that it's in the top 10 :P
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Tiree wrote:I'm impressed that a game that has been out of print for nearly a decade. And the company has folded, that it's in the top 10 :P

There was no statictical basis for that list that was just his opionion. You can get real info from magazines for comics/game stores. Cant rember there name right now. But they run a monthly list of the top selling games in difrent catagories.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

YAY RIFTS! :)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Tiree wrote:I'm impressed that a game that has been out of print for nearly a decade. And the company has folded, that it's in the top 10 :P

There was no statictical basis for that list that was just his opionion. You can get real info from magazines for comics/game stores. Cant rember there name right now. But they run a monthly list of the top selling games in difrent catagories.

I was about to say...There is no way Mutants and Masterminds is more popular than World of Darkness. I don't think I have a problem with the games listed, just the order in which they are presented.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Yeah, when I looked at the list I was like "Do what?" Then went back to the top. It's just one guys fan list. Nothing backing it up but his personal preference.

It's cool to see what the guy thinks but each one of us on this board could do the same and the games would differ (( or be in different order))

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

1. Hero 5th Edition - I also reference it as Champions
2. Paranoia
3. The Hunt (The Best Beer and Pretzel Pickup Game)
4. Star Wars d6
5. Star Wars d20 (I prefer RCR, Saga, and OCR in that order...)
6. Rifts/Robotech - You can't have one without the other!
7. The Morrow Project
8. Shadowrun 3rd Edition
9. Cyberpunk 2020 (Even though the box set did rock)
10. Dark Heresy

Now I have listed these games in no real particular order. But you can see what I have a leaning toward.

And I would toss in the ultimate game... World of Synnibarr, but people would either a) laugh or b) ask what it is.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Tiree wrote:And I would toss in the ultimate game... World of Synnibarr, but people would either a) laugh or b) ask what it is.
actually I would question your sanity with that statement...
it has to be one of the worst games I have ever had the displeasure to read.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Tiree wrote:1. Hero 5th Edition - I also reference it as Champions
2. Paranoia
3. The Hunt (The Best Beer and Pretzel Pickup Game)
4. Star Wars d6
5. Star Wars d20 (I prefer RCR, Saga, and OCR in that order...)
6. Rifts/Robotech - You can't have one without the other!
7. The Morrow Project
8. Shadowrun 3rd Edition
9. Cyberpunk 2020 (Even though the box set did rock)
10. Dark Heresy

Now I have listed these games in no real particular order. But you can see what I have a leaning toward.

And I would toss in the ultimate game... World of Synnibarr, but people would either a) laugh or b) ask what it is.

Any edition of Hero is better than half the games on the original list. Call of Cthulhu? Are you kidding? Combat is filled with random non-sequiturs. "Did you use a skill? Put a mark next to it. Did you fail your skill roll at the end of the adventure? It goes up."

In particular, Hero is WAY better than Mutants and Masterminds. Mutants and Masterminds is just Hero System with no restrictions and no balancing factors, and a combat system that resolves with "My alpha strike is the most important thing in the entire combat." How the heck does this simulate superhero comics in ANY way? I've been in Mutants and Masterminds combats. They suck. :) You can't base your entire combat system on "Who's going to fail a saving throw first."

I don't even understand why World of Darkness made the list. The company can't even make up their mind between supplements as to exactly what's going on.

Plus, they went to POD years ago. Companies can't survive on POD.

Does Rifts belong on the list in the #10 slot? Probably in the #9.
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

I was about to say...There is no way Mutants and Masterminds is more popular than World of Darkness. I don't think I have a problem with the games listed, just the order in which they are presented.

M&M Vs New World of Darkness? Hands down it's M&M. Against old WoD? Hands down it's Old WoD.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Right now Pathfinder is probably my favorite RPG to GM as it is fairly easy to build a structured and balanced adventure for, and I'm kind of happy to see it take second place on a list that includes Dungeons and Dragons. :)
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Colt47 wrote:Right now Pathfinder is probably my favorite RPG to GM as it is fairly easy to build a structured and balanced adventure for, and I'm kind of happy to see it take second place on a list that includes Dungeons and Dragons. :)

Pathfinder especially if you use the pathfinder society rules is a pretty easy one for GMS to set up and run without to much fuss or muss.

One game I have really been enjoying lately is eclipsephase if one is in the mood for some more scifi goodness its pretty interesting. One nice thing as a GM you don't have to sugar coat things to much if the players are being stupid you can kill them off without to much of a kerfluffal as they can either have their stack pulled or restore from a backup. I was always leary about killing off players in campaigns in most systems but in this one you can let logical outcomes happen without totally derailing your campaign.

And rifts is still an old favorite although I can see some of the complaints in that top 10 list. The main thing is rift the GM really needs to have a good grasp of what type of campaign they want to run and guide the players appropriately. Rift can get really wacky if people are just picking what character and equipment they want from whichever book they want. Now if you are willing to run an ultimate power type run or something like phase world go nuts but expect some crazy power house players.

My one gripe about GM'ing rifts though is it can sometimes be easy to accidentally kill the non power house players. You get somebody running around in just normal medium or light MDC armor and an errant explosion could potentially just vaporise them. If you are letting people pick whatever it can be a bit hard to get the balance of challenge for the power players and survivability for the non powerhouses.
Faceless Dude
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: The Devil on your Shoulder

Unread post by Faceless Dude »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Tiree wrote:And I would toss in the ultimate game... World of Synnibarr, but people would either a) laugh or b) ask what it is.

I have found my copy of the World of Synnibarr invaluable over the years

It has been my favorite book to bludgeon unruly players with.
Not Misunderstood, Just Evil
EmeraldToucanet
Wanderer

Unread post by EmeraldToucanet »

Yeah Old WOD and D&D (and you could throw Pathfinder in there with D&D because they seem to be running neck and neck popularity wise) are easily the most popular RPGs in my neck of the woods. Rifts used to be about as popular as D&D a little over a decade ago (at least in my area), but at some point started to decline, and decline. Shadowrun seems to be semi-popular, and there's patches of people playing new Wod and other systems such as Traveller.

I'm tempted to say that if Palladium could just pull together and put out an entire new edition that they'd have a good chance of earning back a solid amount of that lost popularity. But then I look at what happaned with new WOD (people mostly just want to play old WOD) and D&D 4th edition (it only succeeded in causing greater fragmentation between people playing different editions of D&D or abandoning the official D&D for Pathfinder). That makes me realize, well, they'd have to be really really careful about how they go about it. All though if they can put out a new edition with books that consistently have the quality of the Ultimate edition main book I think they'd be probably be safe.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Faceless Dude wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

I have found my copy of the World of Synnibarr invaluable over the years

It has been my favorite book to bludgeon unruly players with.
in that respect we are in agreement. :lol:
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Ravenwing
Hero

Man I thought I was the only person who'd ever wasted the money buying World of Synnibarr.....or the players book for the amazons.

BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Glad to see Rifts made it into the Top 10. Only nine more steps to go!
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

Ravenwing wrote:Man I thought I was the only person who'd ever wasted the money buying World of Synnibarr.....or the players book for the amazons.

The system isn't that bad. You can build nearly everything. It was touted that there would be only one book, and they ended up with two. Not bad for a RPG that can do all genre's. It had Super Powers, Psionics, Magic, Cybernetics, Guns, Knives and Swords.

But then again - maybe it's because the little story in the blurb talks about someone wanting a Glass of Milk, in a dirty glass... with a Broken Straw!
Ravenwing
Hero

Tiree wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:Man I thought I was the only person who'd ever wasted the money buying World of Synnibarr.....or the players book for the amazons.

The system isn't that bad. You can build nearly everything. It was touted that there would be only one book, and they ended up with two. Not bad for a RPG that can do all genre's. It had Super Powers, Psionics, Magic, Cybernetics, Guns, Knives and Swords.

But then again - maybe it's because the little story in the blurb talks about someone wanting a Glass of Milk, in a dirty glass... with a Broken Straw!

Lol! I love the Mutant Drakes in that Game!

My only real issue with WoS was the massive amounts of math involved. I swear it always felt more like algebra class then a game.

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Ravenwing wrote:
Tiree wrote:

My only real issue with WoS was the massive amounts of math involved. I swear it always felt more like algebra class then a game.

dont forget the rules on how hard one can exhale; etc...
:roll: :lol:
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

Synnibarr is truly a Game System to rule them all!

I will say this, the worst thing about the book, is the back cover. Where the Game Designer is pictured in full plate, pointing as if he's going to kill your character next. Very, very, creepy!

But other than that, I love how they have rules on changing material components in weaponry. Then of course, you can't go wrong with a super strong character with a Sling and Shot. Faster and more damaging than a bullet!
Ravenwing
Hero

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Tiree wrote:

dont forget the rules on how hard one can exhale; etc...
:roll: :lol:

I forgot that rule! :lol:

Balabanto
Champion

Hey, in D+D 3.5, everything's bigger in Europe.

The European version of the game uses 2 meter squares instead of five foot squares. Five feet is 60 inches. Two meters is 78.74 inches. Therefore, European versions of the same character build better buildings, fall greater distances and take the same amount of damage, and run further in the same amount of time.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Because it's alot easier to tyoe '2 meters' than something like 1.78meters'. I'm chalkin' that one up to lazyness. :)

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

There we go! I was wondering, "What, no love for Champs?!?" Love that game, even though I have still yet to get the latest version (I have it backordered and paid for; just waiting for them to get a fresh supply of books in from HERO).
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Balabanto wrote:Hey, in D+D 3.5, everything's bigger in Europe.

The European version of the game uses 2 meter squares instead of five foot squares. Five feet is 60 inches. Two meters is 78.74 inches. Therefore, European versions of the same character build better buildings, fall greater distances and take the same amount of damage, and run further in the same amount of time.

Honestly, no one I've played with ever got bothered by the whole board game set up for combat. It made things extremely easy to play and outside of combat, movement speed could be calculated however you wanted to do it. Palladium and it's take on tactical movement is... less then stellar. :lol: A GM basically has to house rule how tactical movement would work on a play mat as I don't think there are any official board rules for movement beyond a given number of yards/meters per action.

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Ravenwing
Hero

Colt47 wrote:
Balabanto wrote:Hey, in D+D 3.5, everything's bigger in Europe.

Honestly, no one I've played with ever got bothered by the whole board game set up for combat. It made things extremely easy to play and outside of combat, movement speed could be calculated however you wanted to do it. Palladium and it's take on tactical movement is... less then stellar. :lol: A GM basically has to house rule how tactical movement would work on a play mat as I don't think there are any official board rules for movement beyond a given number of yards/meters per action.

Not that I'm aware of, which really bugs me.

But I've found using the rules for movement from D20 games works great!

Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

Dead Boy wrote:

There we go! I was wondering, "What, no love for Champs?!?" Love that game, even though I have still yet to get the latest version (I have it backordered and paid for; just waiting for them to get a fresh supply of books in from HERO).

I haven't moved from 5th Revised to 6th Edition. I did take a look at it the other day, and it's in all color glory. I have to admit, I don't like it for the most part. The book weighs half a tree. The 5th Ed and 5th Revised feel like it's a feather compared to it.

But I digress - Champions I have been playing since 2nd Edition. And Aaron Allston was one of my favorite writers for it, and now has moved on to novels. You can't beat that!
Ravenwing
Hero

Tiree wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:

I haven't moved from 5th Revised to 6th Edition. I did take a look at it the other day, and it's in all color glory. I have to admit, I don't like it for the most part. The book weighs half a tree. The 5th Ed and 5th Revised feel like it's a feather compared to it.

But I digress - Champions I have been playing since 2nd Edition. And Aaron Allston was one of my favorite writers for it, and now has moved on to novels. You can't beat that!

His Star Wars Novels rock.

Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Tiree wrote:But I digress - Champions I have been playing since 2nd Edition. And Aaron Allston was one of my favorite writers for it, and now has moved on to novels. You can't beat that!

Totally with ya! Though AD&D was my first exposure to role playing (like pretty much everyone, I suspect), Champions was the first game that really sucked me into another world in vivid detail. The fact that my first game was in a small 6x8 camper filled to capacity with second-hand pot smoke rivaling something you'd expect to see in a Cheeh & Chong movie might have had something to do with it, but I love the game on its own merits just the same. Best game mechanics of any RPG ever!
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Dead Boy wrote:
Tiree wrote:But I digress - Champions I have been playing since 2nd Edition. And Aaron Allston was one of my favorite writers for it, and now has moved on to novels. You can't beat that!

Totally with ya! Though AD&D was my first exposure to role playing (like pretty much everyone, I suspect), Champions was the first game that really sucked me into another world in vivid detail. The fact that my first game was in a small 6x8 camper filled to capacity with second-hand pot smoke rivaling something you'd expect to see in a Cheeh & Chong movie might have had something to do with it, but I love the game on its own merits just the same. Best game mechanics of any RPG ever!

I've only played AD&D once. My first RPG was either TMNT or Rolemaster (don't really remember which came first).

I've got a soft spot for Champions because the character generation is so amazingly flexible that you really are limited only by your imagination and point budget. However, I found actually playing the game was pretty horrible since the system is so crunchy.

--flatline
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

My first RPG was 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons, with my second being 2nd Edition via the Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale computer games. I got into Rifts in early college when someone introduced me to the RUE. After that I kind of checked out all of palladiums games because Rifts links them all together into a single continuity. I love the creativity that the game makers have put into the various settings, though I greatly prefer the tighter movement and tactical rules of D&D over palladium.

Balabanto
Champion

flatline wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:

I've only played AD&D once. My first RPG was either TMNT or Rolemaster (don't really remember which came first).

I've got a soft spot for Champions because the character generation is so amazingly flexible that you really are limited only by your imagination and point budget. However, I found actually playing the game was pretty horrible since the system is so crunchy.

--flatline

Then focus on roleplaying and learning the combat system and build simple characters. It's what we do in my game. And I write for this system. You can find my products at www.blackwyrm.com

Foxbat For President (5th)
War of Worldcraft (6th-If you're trading up, this is an intro adventure)
Unkindness (6th)
Pretty Hate Machines (6th)
King of the Mountain (6th)

Imaginary Friends. Coming soon.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Thats how I know I'm out of touch. I much prefer older stuff like D&D Rules Cyclopedia, Twilight 2000 (D10 version), Shadowrun 2nd Edition, Rifts before the Ultimate Edition, and D6 Star Wars.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

It's not about being out of touch. The 'top ten' were just one guys preference. It's not based on anything like sales or most played or anything. It's just a dude that listed off his top 10. Your top 10 are just as valid as his. :)

Return to “Rifts®”