Of Bows & Arrows

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Of Bows & Arrows

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Just got Rifter #45...

So far just read the article on PFRPG bows and arrows...

Thought it was really good. Well done, great job to the author.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Prysus
Champion

Re: Of Bows & Arrows

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. That was an unexpected (but pleasant) surprise. *Bows.* Thank you very much. Always nice to know my work is appreciated. Though I'm sure the article wouldn't have been nearly as appealing without the brilliant artwork of Chuck Walton (Premier on the forums) to highlight it. Thank you for your time and appreciation, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

In retrospect, this was sort of a needed article. As a fundmental aspect of fantasy gaming, archery has not had much attention in Palladium products. As I mentioned in another thread, it was a great article with usefulness beyond justy the PF product line. Prysus has something cooking which will blow your socks off. Yes, I am a terrible tease.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Maybe some one can make a ritual so Magic,s O.C.C can store a Invocation spell in a item like a Arrow head,that is release on impact,this is a way for normal Bowman to have more firepower in Palladium Fantasy.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Gaby, it seems to me that the Talisman Ritual already allows this. A talisman can be in any shape, so an arrow or arrowhead is a valid choice. Then again, the 1000 PPE cost might be prohibitive.

What do you think, Prysus?
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Lord Z wrote:Gaby, it seems to me that the Talisman Ritual already allows this. A talisman can be in any shape, so an arrow or arrowhead is a valid choice. Then again, the 1000 PPE cost might be prohibitive.

What do you think, Prysus?

Greetings and Salutations. Since my input was asked directly, I'll answer ...

I've been all over the place on this thought process. My first thought was: "Cool! Magic arrows! I want to make some!" I actually had some ideas plotted out for the article, but was going to make their magical nature more like alchemic magic weapons (so you need to find an alchemist to get them). Then it became a hassle, and I just put it off for a future project.

While looking at those notes for a future project, I came across the Magic Dragon Bone Arrows in Dragons & Gods (near the back). At this point I was thinking: "Well, if I made other magic arrows that would make these ones less special. I can't do that. While new magic arrows would be cool, can't make official material less cool."

Then I saw this topic, and was about to respond with the above thought process. Before doing so, I naturally went to double check my facts (I try to avoid posting before double checking, no matter how well I know the material). And woe and behold I learned something new. Magic Dragon Bone Arrows have magical spells instilled within them, true! But, they are also magic versions of the normal Dragon Bone Arrows which have greater damage, range, and durability. Those increased benefits can still make those arrows unique and rare, while making room for new magic arrows.

Currently: I'm still debating about whether or not I'll toy more with the magic arrows I was working on before. I may or may not. I can't decide if it's worth the headache (figuring out magic items isn't really my specialty). Finding the proper balance with new magic arrows and the Magic Dragon Bone Arrows must also be taken into consideration. All that aside ...

The taalisman idea is interesting, and not one that I had ever thought of. While there are little hiccups involved (such as taalismans don't release their power upon impact), I think the idea holds merit and I'd let it work (in my games).

Overall though, I'm hestitant to make putting magic into basic weapons too easy. If enchanting magic weapons was that easy, then alchemic weapons would become less special. Still, an enchantment could work if temporary, while the alchemic versions would be permanent. If kept separate in that regards, it could still be useful. I know, I know. Arrows are one shot items (most times) so no worries about the spell lasting, right? But why would this magic work ONLY on arrows and not normal weapons? Just have to make sure to check all applications. Though I have debated about making an Enchanter O.C.C. (practitioner of magic) that specialized in things like temporary boosts, but haven't really pursued the idea at all.

Overall thoughts: While I'm not opposed to the concept, great care would have to be taken with the concept. If made too easy, then magic arrows could be handed out like party favors. It has to be difficult and rare(ish), but at the same time if it's too difficult then you run the risk of it being almost pointless because all the effort for a one shot item.

Did I ramble? I do that. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Ok making a Magical equivalent High tech arrows is Out.
But das Any one have ideas for Magic Bow,s Enchantments?
FluidicAztec
Explorer

Unread post by FluidicAztec »

I thought this was a great article. I would have liked to see some Rifts adaption, such as the T-Archer. I gave the T-Archer the same ability to select Archer Proficiency as the Psi-Archer. Overall, good work. Thanks.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

The Dark Elf wrote:Just got Rifter #45...

So far just read the article on PFRPG bows and arrows...

Thought it was really good. Well done, great job to the author.

Yes it is excellent.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”