New Adventure - Rendezvous in N'Yak

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: With the right gems [a techno-wizard] can make a toaster that resurrects people!

New Adventure - Rendezvous in N'Yak

Unread post by Mechanurgist »

Here's a new short adventure I wrote for After the Bomb, entitled Rendezvous in N'Yak. Haven't playtested this one yet, but if anyone is interested maybe we could try it online. If you see any errors or inconsistencies please let me know. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b4sqgxnmx2sbrof

Oh, and let me know if the fonts came through, it's hard to tell from my PC. Section headers should be in the same font you see on the first page, and main paragraph text should look like a typewriter font.
New After the Bomb Adventure: Rendezvous in N'Yak
Old After the Bomb Adventure: Northern Lights
Rali
Hero

Re: New Adventure - Rendezvous in N'Yak

Unread post by Rali »

Mechanurgist wrote:a 30-kiloton groundburst obliterating everything in a 1.5 mile radius (85% fatality rate from initial blast)

An 85% fatality rate?! Seems pretty low for a ground zero nuke detonation. Even from a ground burst.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: With the right gems [a techno-wizard] can make a toaster that resurrects people!

Based on a putative miniaturized W80 warhead (300 kt):

"mostly fatal" blast (km) = Y yield factor ^0.33 * scaling constant (peak overpressure 10 psi)
where Y = actual yield / 2.5 kt = 120
where scaling constant for 10 psi overpressure is given as 0.45
= 2.18 Km

Which is a bit larger than what I wrote because my original calculation was with a 150 Kt yield, but then again, this is an uncontrolled sub-optimal groundburst. The 150 Kt yield gives 1.7 Km. I interpreted "most people are killed" as 85% fatality rate, but it's not clear in the literature I consulted. Frankly, nobody knows what the real fatality rate would be since nobody's ever tested a nuke greater than 21 Kt on a modern city, AFAIK. This is just for blast, of course, ignoring firestorm and radiation damage.

"Humans are actually quite resistant to the direct effect of overpressure. Pressures of over 40 psi are required before lethal effects are noted. This pressure resistance makes it possible for unprotected submarine crews to escape from emergency escape locks at depths as great as one hundred feet (the record for successful escape is actually an astonishing 600 feet, representing a pressure of 300 psi). Loss of eardrums can occur, but this is not a life threatening injury."

Source: http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Nwfaq/Nfaq5.html
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler

I'm trying to get some people together. Will let you know when there are enough to play.

Anybody have any comments on the adventure itself?
tamorrison
D-Bee

Unread post by tamorrison »

Looks good. I especially like how you show a dystopic society with multiple power centers that interact dynamically; it makes for a rich background that enhances the gaming experience by encouraging good role-play. The city map looks good. Do you have maps of other likely combat areas, such as the crash site and Yakee Stadium? Also, could you include stats for the Empire of Humanity diplomat?

EDIT: Thinking back to the mission brief, I believe it should include more information for the players. It is inconsistent to say that Cardanians do plenty of business through N'Yak and that Gatorland (a close Cardanian ally) has a spy in the highest echelons of power in N'Yak but that no one who can can brief the players knows anything about who's who in N'Yak.

If N'Yak is the nexus of so much trade, then why are there famines there? Perhaps it's a recent phenomenon due to a land blockade. Maybe the Empire of Humanity sealed off the landward side in order to squeeze it out; maybe the Rodent Cartel refuses to trade with N'Yak because the smugglers there cut into Rodent Cartel profits. Either reason would also explain why the players must fly 40 mph to N'Yak vice driving 60 mph.
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler

Thanks for the comments, tamorrison. You're right about the info inconsistency. As for trade, I think it was described as "smuggling" of certain specific things, not regular trade. I also noticed I missed the police station, which is on the map but not described. I'll see if I have time to do up a map of Yakee Stadium since it might be a major battle location. I'll review and revise with your suggestions in mind.
tamorrison
D-Bee

Unread post by tamorrison »

Glad to be of service. It's a good adventure. :)
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

New Adventures WOOT!
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”