The Dodge?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dante144
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: "Jesus saves, everyone else takes damage"

The Dodge?

Unread post by dante144 »

So I just read in the Game Master Guide that you can't dodge lasers and projectile weapons.. Some classes can try with a -10 ...is this new?
"Jesus saves, everyone else takes damage" Girls t-shirt at Megacon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: The Dodge?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Define "new."
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
dante144
Dungeon Crawler

Killer Cyborg wrote:Define "new."

Newer? I dunno.. back in the day..mid nineties we always dodged everything. So is this in The RUE too?
dante144
Dungeon Crawler

I mean I guess this is the first time I have seen it clearly said that you can not dodge gun fire
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

I don't use the -10 penalty in my games because my games are deadly enough without it.

Feel free to use or not use the rule at your discretion.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

It showed up originally in Warlords of RUssia I believe. The newest incarnation (ala RUE) is actually not so bad. -10 to dodge modern weapons (for everyone) at 10ft or less and -5 to dodge (for eveyone) upto 50ft away. HOwever I ignore the part that says only PP or OCC bonuses apply (thus you dont get your full dodge bonus). I allow full dodge bonuses to apply in order totry and negate the penalties as much as possible.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

dante144 wrote:I mean I guess this is the first time I have seen it clearly said that you can not dodge gun fire

It first showed up, I believe, in Rifts: Japan.
Quite controversial at the time, and still not that popular.

RUE made things a bit better.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

For me, it all depends on when the Dodge occurs.
I allow for pre-emptive dodging if you have the Initiative, so you can Dodge with Full Bonuses and then the shooter must beat your roll.
If the shooter has Initiative and fires first, then the -10 penalty to Dodge applies. For reactionary dodging, only PP and Auto-Dodge Bonuses apply to the roll.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Mercdog wrote:For me, it all depends on when the Dodge occurs.
I allow for pre-emptive dodging if you have the Initiative, so you can Dodge with Full Bonuses and then the shooter must beat your roll.
If the shooter has Initiative and fires first, then the -10 penalty to Dodge applies. For reactionary dodging, only PP and Auto-Dodge Bonuses apply to the roll.

Uh, how can you pre-emptive dodge if you have initiative and do now know if anyone is going to fire at you to begin with?
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

jaymz wrote:

Uh, how can you pre-emptive dodge if you have initiative and do now know if anyone is going to fire at you to begin with?

Spending their entire turn zig-zagging at random?
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Cinos wrote:
jaymz wrote:

I call that "evasive action" and handle it differently than a dodge. Instead, it gives any attackers a set penalty to strike. Then again, my ranged combat rules are a bit more... involved... than Palladium's original set.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Cinos wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Isnt that what the full dodge is in RUE? (you get an additional bonus but cannot take an actions)

\m/
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

jaymz wrote:
Cinos wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Isnt that what the full dodge is in RUE? (you get an additional bonus but cannot take an actions)

I donno, I stopped using Cannon before RUE, so it's all kind of a haze to me.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

jaymz wrote:

If you mean "don't know" anyone is going to fire at you, then it would be a surprise attack you wouldn't be aware of and wouldn't have rolled initiative until after the shot was fired and combat actually began. At least, I believe that is how it works for attacks you are unaware of, isn't it?

If you meant "do know" the attack is coming and have initiative, then your character can zig-zag, dive for cover, drop low and move in a chaotic bob & weave, etc. How you call that is up to you, but essentially its making you a moving target that the shooter must adjust his aim to hit.

But yes, I guess it is essentially a Full Dodge, I just call it a pre-emptive dodge because you arent' waiting for the attack to come. You are actively avoiding the attack in hopes of making things more difficult for the attacker. A Full Dodge, I view as more of a "Get the hell out of the way NOW!" defensive action, like diving to the side to avoid an oncoming car at the last second.

Meh, potato/patahto. ;)
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Mercdog wrote:
jaymz wrote:

If you mean "don't know" anyone is going to fire at you, then it would be a surprise attack you wouldn't be aware of and wouldn't have rolled initiative until after the shot was fired and combat actually began. At least, I believe that is how it works for attacks you are unaware of, isn't it?

If you meant "do know" the attack is coming and have initiative, then your character can zig-zag, dive for cover, drop low and move in a chaotic bob & weave, etc. How you call that is up to you, but essentially its making you a moving target that the shooter must adjust his aim to hit.

But yes, I guess it is essentially a Full Dodge, I just call it a pre-emptive dodge because you arent' waiting for the attack to come. You are actively avoiding the attack in hopes of making things more difficult for the attacker. A Full Dodge, I view as more of a "Get the hell out of the way NOW!" defensive action, like diving to the side to avoid an oncoming car at the last second.

Meh, potato/patahto. ;)

Ok so if you have initiative and fire then get fired at that is a surprise attack? In your game anyway?

\m/
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

jaymz wrote:
Ok so if you have initiative and fire then get fired at that is a surprise attack? In your game anyway?

? Maybe I'm just not understanding your question.

If you are currently in combat and know someone is going to be shooting at you, yes you get to roll initiative. If you are not in combat and are unaware someone will be taking a shot at you, you do not. Unless I'm misremembering, in such a surprise situation, only an Automatic Dodge is possible, and would still be faced with the -10 penalty.

If you win initiative and you are aware your opponent has a gun, you have a few options; One possibility is to attack, and one possibility is to Dodge. If you have the initiative and choose to dodge (Say, because you don't happen to have a weapon handy and the opponent is too far away to just punch in the face), then you get full dodge bonuses.

If you don't have initiative and your enemy fires his weapon, you can try to dodge, but have only your PP bonuses (and possible Auto-Dodge bonuses if you have Automatic Dodge) to off-set the -10 penalty.

Maybe I'm just not expressing myself properly today. :(
If that is the case, I apologize, and hope I've clarified things. The basic gist of my logic is that it's easier to dodge a bullet by getting out of the way before the gun is fired than it is to dodge one after it has left the gun and is speeding toward you.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

dante144 wrote:So I just read in the Game Master Guide that you can't dodge lasers and projectile weapons.. Some classes can try with a -10 ...is this new?

Everyone can dodge lasers; any energy weapon actually. Gunfire too.

Pg. 361 in R:UE has a large-bolded header titled, "Dodging Bullets & Energy Blasts". As for "new", this has been in R:UE since at least 2005 (date on my copy), so that would make it a rule that is at least 6 years old. Kinda why KC asked for you to define "new".
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Mercdog -

As i read the dodgle rules you get full bonuses to dodge during any melee whether you have initiative or not. Only PP bonuses to dodge offset the -10/-5 rule but that rule is only in effect within 50 ft of the shooter/target. Beyond that all bonuses apply.

Now if I read your post right, that is how you run it in your games but is not what I said above?

\m/
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

jaymz wrote:Mercdog -

As i read the dodgle rules you get full bonuses to dodge during any melee whether you have initiative or not. Only PP bonuses to dodge offset the -10/-5 rule but that rule is only in effect within 50 ft of the shooter/target. Beyond that all bonuses apply.

Now if I read your post right, that is how you run it in your games but is not what I said above?

Against normal hand to hand and melee attacks, your character will always get full bonuses to dodge, whether you have initiative or not. But to get full bonuses to dodge against bullets/lasers, they would have to declare a full dodge before the enemy fired his weapon. I've ruled that, normally, that requires them to have the initiative and declare the dodge instead of an attack. As far as distance issues, I've always ruled it as -10 under 50 feet, -5 over 50 feet. I know that differs from the book, but, IMO, I think it's more realistic
I'm probably still not explaining very well, but I'm not really sure how else to explain it, other than give an example.

Me: OK, Dave, you know the sniper's general location, but he caught you away from your big guns. Good thing he missed that first shot. Roll Initiative.
Dave: I got a 17.
Me: And he's got a 10. What do you want to do?
Dave: He's out of range for my pistol right?
Me: Yes.
Dave: All right, I'll do a Full Dodge and try to get to my motorcycle so I can grab my laser rifle. I've got a 10, plus 4 for my bonuses.
Me: OK, he needs a 14 to hit you. Nope, with bonuses he only made a 12.
(Skip to next initiative)
Me: Roll initiative. Sniper's got an 17.
Dave: I've got... an 8.
Me: Bad, luck. Sniper's taking his shot. He's got a 15 to strike.
Dave: I'll try to dodge it. Roll out of the way or something
Me: OK. He's over 50 feet away, but it's still a laser weapon, so you've got -5 to dodge, and you only get your PP bonus to add this time.
Dave: Here goes... I rolled a 19. -5 gets me a 14, but I do have +1 to dodge from PP, so I've got a 15 to dodge total.
Me: Ok, that's good enough, as defender, you only need to tie his roll. But you do feel the heat of his laser burn through your cloak at your left side.
Dave: Too close for comfort. I hope the others can find a way to flank him soon.

I hope that helps illustrate what I mean.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Ok so basically you house rule it a bit. No worries I think I get it now.

Though I do have one question. In your example you have the dodger at a -5 because the sniper is over 50 feet away. Are you still using and older version of the -10/-5 rule? RUE updated it to be -10 out to 10ft and -5 out to 50ft and no penalty beyond that.

\m/
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

jaymz wrote:Ok so basically you house rule it a bit. No worries I think I get it now.

Though I do have one question. In your example you have the dodger at a -5 because the sniper is over 50 feet away. Are you still using and older version of the -10/-5 rule? RUE updated it to be -10 out to 10ft and -5 out to 50ft and no penalty beyond that.

Pretty much. There's a couple of the RUE updated rules that make less sense to me than the older rules (Robotic/Supernatural PS and melee weapons for example), so I disregard them in favor of older rules that seem to (IMHO, anyway) work a little better or make a little more sense to me.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”