Do you Belive in the Paranormal Quiz

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ronin Shinobi
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Sportsmeister and Mr.Sports of sound off, endorsed by cornholioprime

Do you Belive in the Paranormal Quiz

Unread post by Ronin Shinobi »

http://psychologytoday.tests.psychtests ... gTest=1321

Thought it would be an interesting test to take. Considering my belief system I am not surprised about my score.

Psychic Beliefs
According to your score, you believe that some people are gifted with the power to see into the future and can predict things to come. Although you may not consider all psychics to be legitimate practitioners, you do believe that there are some who do indeed possess a sort of "sixth sense" or the ability to feel and see things that most people can't.
Showoff often leads to showdown
Svartalf- Shinobi, You're twisted
Mack- I'm constantly amazed at what people will put their energy into. This planet needs more predators.
Saitou Hajime- What kind of Americian are you?
Shadyslug- Good question
Cybermancer
Hero

Re: Do you Belive in the Paranormal Quiz

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Apparently I'm at the other end of the spectrum.

Psychic Beliefs

According to your score, you don't believe that people can be gifted with the power to see into the future and predict things to come. You seem to find it hard to believe that psychic practitioners are legitimate, and that someone can indeed possess a "sixth sense" or the ability to feel and see things that most people can't.

Can't say that the results surprised me though.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

I thought that I was a middle-of-the-road guy. As an editor of paranormal themed articles and stories, I try to not take a strong side for or against skepticism. I scored 44.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Way to hold a position, Doctor B!
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
Johnathan
Adventurer

Unread post by Johnathan »

Wow. Y'know I figured I would score high given my own beliefs on the matter... But I got a 100. Actually didn't see that one happening.
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Snapshot Report
Psychic Beliefs
According to your score, you don't believe that people can be gifted with the power to see into the future and predict things to come. You seem to find it hard to believe that psychic practitioners are legitimate, and that someone can indeed possess a "sixth sense" or the ability to feel and see things that most people can't.

It'll change when someone wins the JREF $1 million Challenge.
St. Evil
Explorer
Comment: Looking to start the Really Evil League of Evil, because the League of Evil wasn't evil enough.

Unread post by St. Evil »

That was fun btw my score 63
Jasper
Explorer

Unread post by Jasper »

Psychic Beliefs

I think there are only a couple reasons a scored above a zero. I answered yes to believing on life on other planets, because it's mathematically probable. If the question had been do I believe intelligent alien life has visited Earth I would have answered differently. Also I answered yes to some people being destined for greatness. Not for any supernatural reason simply I am a bit of a proponent of the theory of Outliers, that some people are simply great and will achieve success. At least since I haven't read the book that's my take on it :P.
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Middle of the road here, 56. I believe in many things, but won't take anything at face value either.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Neo
Explorer
Comment: God I feel old.

Unread post by Neo »

Big O'l Zero, some of the questions were pretty vague though...
What the Bloody Hell are you freaks all talking about
-- Rayven

The line I was referring to was the "If I step over this line I officially become so stupid that I no longer have a right to live" line
-- Shaded Helios

mmmm, time to make the chocolate chili. Yup! I prefected it
-- Sara The TG
Vladamir Krophski
Explorer

Unread post by Vladamir Krophski »

I got an 83, but a 92 for Alien's and UFO's, who'd of guessed
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." Herodotus
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

warhawk wrote:I scored a 2, so what the hell am I doing here, playinrg Rifts, Dead Reign and BTS? According to their score I should be more of a pratical sort of fellow. Well, I guess that shows exactally what Psychology can predict about people.

Playing games that you know to be fiction and fantasy has nothing to do with your level of belief in the themes or settings of those fictions and fantasy's.

In other words, a person does not need to beleive in dragons to find them cool and to play games that feature them. The same goes for aliens and the supernatural. The quiz isn't there to evaluate your interest in these things. Only your beleif in them.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Gangrel44
D-Bee

Unread post by Gangrel44 »

Psychic Beliefs

According to your score, you somewhat believe that some people are gifted with the power to see into the future and can predict things to come, although you sometimes don't take every prediction at face value. Although you may not consider all psychics to be legitimate practitioners, you do believe that there are a few people who do indeed possess a sort of "sixth sense" or the ability to feel and see things that most people can't.

This was my score
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Interestingly, no one is saying, 'My score is wrong.' We all seem to be pleased or at least content with our results.

dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Cybermancer wrote:Apparently I'm at the other end of the spectrum.

Psychic Beliefs

Can't say that the results surprised me though.

Mine exactly, I got a 19 too.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

I got an 88...I wonder what the experiential factor is for the people who took the test...

Such as belief without experiencig things...

Just a thought.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Psychic Beliefs
According to your score, you believe that some people are gifted with the power to see into the future and can predict things to come. Although you may not consider all psychics to be legitimate practitioners, you do believe that there are some who do indeed possess a sort of "sixth sense" or the ability to feel and see things that most people can't.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
slade the sniper
Hero

Geronimo 2.0 wrote:
Revan wrote:100

Not surprised in the least being Pagan and all.

I predict that a Nigerian "Prince" will have a lot of fun with you.

Belief in the paranormal does not equate with stupidity.

-STS
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Fight! Fight! Hold on just a minute while I make some popcorn...

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Snapshot Report
Psychic Beliefs

Rhomphaia wrote:
slade the sniper wrote: Belief in the paranormal does not equate with stupidity.-STS

No, but they often correlate. There are people (a frightening number of them) that think every bit of "evidence" is paranormal phenomenon. Simply look at the number of people who think shows like Ghost Hunters is real.

It isn't? Woah ... that's a downer.

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

As a former co-founder and general manager of a ghost hunting group, I will be the first to tell you that there are some very poor examples of paranormal enthusiasts out there. In many cases they are more detrimental to the community than those who flat out refuse to believe that anything is paranormal.

The rub here is that the belief in the paranormal (especially where ghosts are concerned) is a very personal thing for a lot of people. In my experience, the people you might deem stupid because they’re eager to believe in ghosts is really a matter their passions getting the better of them.

Many people yearn for proof of life after death (that there is more to look forward to than oblivion of their consciousness and a quiet grave or incineration), some like the the idea that their loved ones are still watching over them, and many are from a religious standpoint that the afterlife is an accepted part of their religious practices.

Taking an analytical view of the paranormal is a difficult job as nearly everything about it is based in the realm of metaphysics to begin with. Most believers don’t understand this aspect (haven’t taken the time to study and learn about the subject from this direction) or in many cases just aren’t logical minded enough to ever fully grasp the ability of being analytical minded. It’s no surprise that artistic minded people are easily susceptible to believing in the paranormal than a logical minded person.

In summary, English classes teach us that we need a good balance of the Logos, Ethos and Pathos to present a good argument. Enthusiststs have a habit of going all Pathos while analytical naysayers use too much Logos. You really can’t have Ethos in a paranormal discussion without having both Logos and Pathos in your arsenal.

P.S. Those you might label stupid or gullible for believing in ghosts might label you tiresome and boring for not believing. It all seems to come down to perspective. As for me personally, I enjoy the idea of the paranormal and keep an open mind, but I pour a healthy dose of skepticism over every paranormal story or event I hear about.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

mrloucifer wrote:we need a good balance of the Logos, Ethos and Pathos to present a good argument

That is one of the most beautiful and true statements I have heard in a long time, mrloucifer!

Kind regards
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

So I did the test answering as myself and then answering as my character from the Lazlo Society site, Ron Caliburn.

Ron Caliburn has encountered the supernatural first hand repeatedly, yet somehow he does not believe in the supernatural as much as I do.

Figure that one out.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Perhaps "gullible" is the ideal word on this one.

I also suspect that the majority of these folks who claim that the incidents are real despite the evidence to the contrary aren’t as adamant as they let on. If push comes to shove and they were in a more "forced" situation/environment, they would more than likely say that they know it was a forgery or was faked, but they didn’t care as they still believed in the "possibility" that such an event could have happened.

This is similar to the phenomenon of "Pro Wresting fan". The majority deep down "know" that its all a farce and is the equivalent of a male soap opera, but they don’t care as they love all the theatrics, creative wrestling characters/heroes & villains, adrenaline, scantily clad ring side babes of the sport and they "want to believe".

The rest of these individuals would probably cover the stubbornly gullible and those whose mental facilities are lacking in one aspect or another.
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
mrloucifer

P.S. I just had a thought... a Physical Psychic would have a great "hiding in plain sight" job as a pro wrestler. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

slade the sniper
Hero

Geronimo 2.0 wrote:
slade the sniper wrote:
Geronimo 2.0 wrote:
Revan wrote:100

Not surprised in the least being Pagan and all.

I predict that a Nigerian "Prince" will have a lot of fun with you.

Belief in the paranormal does not equate with stupidity.

-STS

Right, but it does equate indication of gullability and ignorance.

Well, taking myself out of the equation...since I would doubt that I would agree with being gullible and/or ignorant...

What you are attempting to do is create a false dichotomy where your world view is correct, and everyone else is wrong...due to the fact that you right and the others do not agree with you.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. This is the interesting thing about wisdom, with enough of it, you realize that there is usually more than one right answer...and with differing socio/cultural/environmental filters in place, there a lot of "right" answers, some of which will be different than yours.

The correct answer in this case is for you to silently laugh to yourself about all of the gullible and ignorant people who believe in the supernatural and leave them in their bliss, for attempting to change a belief is exceptionally difficult (even in the face of incontrovertible proof) since belief and faith do not operate on logic, because if they did... it would be called logic and not belief and faith :)

-STS
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Warning: Locked due to posters making this one too personal. Play nice folks or we'll take the toys away.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”