Cyberjacking?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SkyeFyre
Hero

Cyberjacking?

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

I was reading the thread on making a hacker and it got me in the mood to break out my Bionic Sourcebook. So I flip over to the Hack Rat and take a look at the OCC Skills. Impressive... yep, this is definitely a class that revolves around hacking... and then I see the skill "Cyberjacking" with it's +6%. I didn't recall seeing this skill before so I went through my books and I just could not find it.

So, now that you know my life story... what the heck is Cyberjacking? Is it a skill? Does it exist?
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
dragonfett
Knight

Re: Cyberjacking?

Unread post by dragonfett »

Page 74 of the GM Guide, under the Technical Skills, it describes it there. It's a shame it doesn't say from what book it comes from, though.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
SkyeFyre
Hero

Crazy, the ONE place I didn't look. So that would mean that the skill listing in RUE is incomplete.

Thanks.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
75 GM Geek Points
Kalidor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kalidor »

This thread isn't what I thought it was going to be about.

*looks around*

*steps back out of thread*
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

Here you'll find some references about the cyberjacking skill in Rifts (click on the upper-right translation button for an automatic google translation). To resume up, best sources are Rifter #2, Computer Hacking skill in RUE and HU2. Hope this helps.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
dragonfett
Knight

I think there should be some more definitive rules on Cyberjacking and virtual bombs and virtual combat and that type of thing.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

SkyeFyre wrote:I was reading the thread on making a hacker and it got me in the mood to break out my Bionic Sourcebook. So I flip over to the Hack Rat and take a look at the OCC Skills. Impressive... yep, this is definitely a class that revolves around hacking... and then I see the skill "Cyberjacking" with it's +6%. I didn't recall seeing this skill before so I went through my books and I just could not find it.

So, now that you know my life story... what the heck is Cyberjacking? Is it a skill? Does it exist?

the cyberjacking skill was 1st in the Mutants in Orbit book.
There is also an article in on of the earlier rifters about how to play a cyber-hacking adventure into cyberspace.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SkyeFyre
Hero

The Last Darkness wrote:
SkyeFyre wrote:Crazy, the ONE place I didn't look. So that would mean that the skill listing in RUE is incomplete.

Thanks.

The RUE is missing alot of stuff actualy.

Is it missing any more in the skill department? I've already noticed the few things that are in my 3 copies of my RMB or in my GMG are missing from my RUE but I never really went over the skill list.
75 GM Geek Points
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

SkyeFyre wrote:
The Last Darkness wrote:
SkyeFyre wrote:Crazy, the ONE place I didn't look. So that would mean that the skill listing in RUE is incomplete.

Thanks.

The RUE is missing alot of stuff actualy.

Is it missing any more in the skill department? I've already noticed the few things that are in my 3 copies of my RMB or in my GMG are missing from my RUE but I never really went over the skill list.

compared to the GMG, RUE is missing a lot of skills. mostly in domestic, pilot, weapon proficiencies, and technical i think, but a few are missing from other categories as well.

edit: oh, and physical skills too, primarily in juicer sports though i think.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Ok, well I understand that they couldn't put everything in there. I have the BoM for my magic and I understand why they would have had to cut down on the spells in the book, same with bionics, but to me skills are a core element of the game that you kind of need all of them or your cheating your characters out of... well... skills.
75 GM Geek Points
dragonfett
Knight

But at the same time, they probably saw some skills as going to be used very often, especially when the tools or other special equipment that are required for said skill are not even listed in the book (i.e., Juicer Sports).
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

But it IS in RUE under Computer Hacking skill at the Rogue Skill Category (page 320).

CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

There's also a fair bit of stuff about cyberjacking in the Australia book in one of the OCCs.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
SkyeFyre
Hero

mobuttu wrote:

But it IS in RUE under Computer Hacking skill at the Rogue Skill Category (page 320).

So it's listed under Computer Hacking? Or do you mean below it? First Printing?
75 GM Geek Points
dragonfett
Knight

I have a copy of the First Printing of the RUE, I looked at the Computer Hacking Skill and saw nothing about Cyberjacking.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

dragonfett wrote:I have a copy of the First Printing of the RUE, I looked at the Computer Hacking Skill and saw nothing about Cyberjacking.

Sorry, I was wrong. Cyberjacking is not in RUE but un GMG as already stated before. :oops:

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

SkyeFyre wrote:Ok, well I understand that they couldn't put everything in there. I have the BoM for my magic and I understand why they would have had to cut down on the spells in the book, same with bionics, but to me skills are a core element of the game that you kind of need all of them or your cheating your characters out of... well... skills.

well, to be fair it's unlikely that you'll need specific rules for WP boomerang or WP deadball in most games.
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

Rifter 2 has the most comprehensive look at Cyberjacking for Rifts. Most of the other references (aside from Mutants in Orbit, which was the first appearance) refer back to this in part or in whole. Moving the skill to the GMG just made it super official. Personally, having used the rules in Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide, I can say they are relatively easy to use, and have plenty of room for modification (though do yourself a favor and program yourself super powers, not weapons ;) ). If you are serious about including Cyberjacking, I suggest getting AUGG or Rifter 2, the Bionics Book, and look over Machine Ghost (psionic power), and then sit down and write your house rules/expectations. That way your players will know what you will and won't allow.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage

Return to “Rifts®”