re: Thief

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: re: Thief

Unread post by jaymz »

I got two words for you Old Edition :P Seriously, if you have it or can get it it is worth it. Just keep the stuff you liek from 2nd and return to 1st. I MUCH prefered the OCCs having their own HTH training rather than switching to the generic Basic, Expert etc
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

1.5 Edition (1st with PPE)
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

Rimmer wrote:1.5 Edition (1st with PPE)

i play a similar mix of 2nd ed with 1st ed hand to hand charts... (which are available for free here on a panel in the gm shield).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There was a thieves guild article in one of the earlier rifters. you can check the Rifter index to see which one.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

just my two cents with respect to HTH tables:

I think the 2nd ed. HTH tables are fine. I like the idea of having a template system (basic, expert, etc.). I personally find that otherwise the system becomes bogged down in arbitrary differentiations regarding "combat styles" and, what is more, it is easier to memorize without really taking much (or anything) away.

As I said in another thread I find, however, that it would be a very good idea in a new iteration of 2nd ed. to add the old HTH tables in an annex as an optional rule. Same with Channeling PPE, which everybody seems to love. Makes it easier for those who prefer the former system and gives more choice to all anyway, which is what I love with Palladium: choice and, as has been deftly put by someone (NMI I think used it as a signature for a while or was it Mark Hall, anyway it was so right:) verisimilitude instead of realism.

Thereto, what really makes the difference between the stereotypes (OCCs) because that is what they are? Background, sometimes small differences, sometimes larger. A thief will wear a weak armour because he needs to be silient and unimpeded in his movements. He will need to know the skills of his trade. A fighter will not need to know those skills, he has others. The type of armour he will choose will depend on his combat style (shield or not, 2-handed weapon vs. 1-handed, heavy armour or lighter skirmisher style, etc.)?

HTH on the other hand [puny pun intended ;-) ] may be the same, I find. It all depends on how much devotion a person puts into learning to fight and what else he has to sacrifice for that (you only have X time, right?). By virtue of his trade a fighter will start with a more competent style (usually), it is his concentration, while a thief must put more effort in it. Hence, methinks, the very good system that almost anybody can "buy" better HTH styles by sacrificing skill knowledge. I like that. It is brilliant. An easy rule that fits all. In other systems I always thought it bad that you cannot create a mage who also is a competent (maybe not brilliant, but good or at least solid) fighter.

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

You could use the optional weapon and skill specialization rules from Rifter #30. That allows different OCCs to have different levels of specialization. Also, you could consider allowing some classes access to specific martial art forms from Ninjas & Super Spies.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”