Help I need a monster.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Re: Help I need a monster.

Unread post by Anthar »

What about the black winged monsters(I think?) from spirit west. They occupy mountians and ruins of scyscrapers and are usually quite numerous.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

Black-Winged Monster-Men WB 15: Spirit West pg. 106, they are intelligent, belligerent and territorial. Giant humanoids with the ability to fly at a decent speed of 3D6X10 just as much MDC as gurgoyle and can fire lightning from their hands and mouth. Away from their settlements they can be encountered in bands of 4-12.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Air Elemental (Rifts conversion book 1)

Edit: Also, Dragons.
Nightmaster
Hero

Unread post by Nightmaster »

Monster Broodkill from the Mindwerks book.

Even though they are from Europe that dont mean that a rifts could not bring one to America and besides, GeneSplicers can be found in any part of the world and there are broodkills in America too. :bandit:
Nightmaster
Hero

OneTrikPony wrote:Looks like the black wing guys will fit the bill well.

AIR Elementals I hadn't even thought about elementals yet. Thanks

EDIT: is there a book of rifts dragons? or is there any information on named dragons on rifts earth?

No but you can take a look on the Dragons & Gods book for Palladium Fantasy. There is a section on Rifts in this book if I am not crazy :lol:

Also you can take a look on the Old Conversion book 1 for stats of several of the major dragons in adult form
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Try the Leatherwing, found on p148 of New West.

Or just equip some bandits with NG Sky Kings from the Rifts Main Book (note, the original one, not Rifts Ulitmate Edition).
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Nightmaster
Hero

OneTrikPony wrote:I didn't think the brodkill were flyers. I've got them as ground threats allong with the Simvan which is why I need my players on the ground occaisionally.

The boodkills are not fliers but the GeneSplicer have got their hands on some and mutated then with wings, extra arms, lots of more MDC and some other nasty things.

That is how the Monster Broodkill was born.

Go take a look
Monster Broodkill
Rifts Sourcebook 3: MindWerks
Page 71
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Ah, once again. My answer to everything :)

Mechanoid Wasps. Nothing gives you Air Inferiority like a few Wasps.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

So we've done Adult Great Horned Dragon
You want to mess up a helicopters blades? Try one vampire. Unless those blades are silver edged the blade will shatter or bend on impact and there can be a lot of vampires.
Gargoyle
Nightspawn

Why can't a laser be an effective AA weapon? You don't have to lead the aircraft unless it is also capable of going the speed of light... in which case you have far worse problems either for the craft or the planet.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

if you want some slightly (and by slightly i mean a lot) longer range weaponry, you should try taalismn's paladin steel storefront thread. many of the weapons in there have ranges of over 10,000 feet, with some of the heavier stuff going quite a bit further.

it's nice to see that at least someone thinks that if we have guns (and by guns i mean non-personal firearms) that can shoot miles away today, the people 400 years in the future aren't likely to be dumb enough to ignore them entirely in favor of weapons that can shoot only a few thousand feet (particularly considering they've apparently made hand-held weaponry reliably able to shoot those few thousand feet). of course, i'd say a lot of the material in there is slightly more powerful than standard rifts, but that largely depends on what you consider to be standard rifts.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

OneTrikPony wrote:Bandits! exactly I forget that the Pecos bandits could have air power. (I don't have the lonestar book either)
This is working out pretty well Thanks for all the help. So far I've got:
Pecos Bandits on sky cycles in the south.
Zyticix in the north
Blackwings in the High Rockies
And just to mix things up, my own creation, the Dark Lyn-Srial in cloud fortress over denver, Salt lake and Death Valley.
Add in the other suggestions for less common monsters above and I've got the whole western continent under a pretty substantial arial threat.

A laser could be a great AA weapon. It's the first thing lasers will do for our millitary IRL. Apparently 400 years from now we forget how to make lasers focus past 2000'. The reason I'm looking for AA weapons is because I'm adding (or accounting) arial threats in the portion of the setting I intend to use. By cannon there are human settlements there so I need to be able to explain how they manage to survive in the presence of that arial threat. I think I'm pretty much goin to have to re-write the whole new west. Cowboys and Indians is "Cute" but not very realistic given the other aspects of the setting (700 MDC dinosaurs? *****ing boneheads)

ATL 7 Battery
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
popscythe
Adventurer
Comment: Mecha-sized flamethrowers, dudes! *woooooosh* :heart:

Unread post by popscythe »

OneTrikPony wrote:I've been hesitant to dig into 42+ pages of homebrew stuff.

You're lucky you don't live in Rifts Russia, where Homebrew reads you. Seriously though, unless you have a physical problem that prevents you from reading, complaining about having to read and understand words in English on an RPG forum is pretty remedial, amigo.

My suggestion is throw a group bandits in rebuilt, rearmed SAMAS at them, then hit them with a wild vampire when they're resting and repairing.
Zarathustra was extremely accurate. He was talking about you, man.
Whoops! Looks like I was wrong about where Mos Eisley's located.
Victorious on Final Jeopardy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilrszSXGiI
Shark_Force
Palladin

OneTrikPony wrote:
popscythe wrote:

You're lucky you don't live in Rifts Russia, where Homebrew reads you. Seriously though, unless you have a physical problem that prevents you from reading, complaining about having to read and understand words in English on an RPG forum is pretty remedial, amigo.

My suggestion is throw a group bandits in rebuilt, rearmed SAMAS at them, then hit them with a wild vampire when they're resting and repairing.

You just called me "Remedial"? Seriously?

Obviously I'm hesitant to spend an hour going through what might be a bunch of fan boy ravings which is why I asked for further recomendation. "Garbage in/Garbage out" PopSythe, BTW thanks for taking the time to "Brighten" up this thread. Perhapse i can thank you face to face someday.

i find it remarkable that i have once gotten a warning for telling someone i didn't value what they read, and yet other posters can apparently insult people repeatedly and not get muted or anything (and given the warning was "do this again and we'll mute you" pretty much, i can only presume that had i done it a second time, i would've been muted, nevermind doing it repeatedly).

anyways, i've found that some of the paladin steel material is probably beyond what i would use. most of that material is mentioned as being in the future of rifts. and if it helps, i've made a few posts with links to assorted posts where he added actual equipment, as opposed to posts of people discussing the equipment.

Post 1
Post 2
Post 3
Post 4
Post 5

post 5 does not run up to the end of the thread, it's probably a few pages short at a guess. anyways, why not just go to one of those posts, read a few of the ideas that sound most interesting to you, and see if it looks like something you might want to adopt in general? (bear in mind, this is from his homebrew world, which has turned out rather differently from standard rifts, so if you see comments about atlantis getting smacked around a while back, that's why)

certainly that seems like it would be faster than just slogging through every single page, or even every single post. it should only take a few specific pieces of equipment for you to decide if you like the style or not...
Kalidor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kalidor »

popscythe wrote:

BUT ITS A THOUSAND PAGES!!!
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Lock Warning.

Folks, play nice or don't post.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Shark_Force
Palladin

OneTrikPony wrote:
Tetsuoh wrote:the caster we met (never learned his occ) was able to hit us with a rock spear at over 2000 ft[snip]

There are TONS of aerial threats and territory disputes to go with them - ESPCIALLY in the west.
there is ALWAYS a way for a group to stop aerial invasions

Sounds like you got runover by a GM Fiat :D I have no problem with that personally. I think aslong as the players are aware of what's going on a GM in rifts just has to cherry pick the system and make everything else workout.

@ Shark_Force;
An INDEX! Thankyou again.
From what I can see so far Paladin Steel (I forget the writer's tag) is filling in some holes with his more mundane stuff. I like it.

it's also good for adding some variety, i would think. no more "oh, it's a SAMAS... one railgun, 2 mini-missiles, flies at this exact speed, has this many MDC, etc..."

instead, you've got "huh, looks like the basic frame is a _______. i wonder what modifications have been made to it?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

lets see...
Simvan on various flying mounts, like the Leatherwing.
1st apocalyptic cavalry..they ought to have some Skycycles, possibly even some Grey Falcon's and Helicopters. maybe even a few captured CS VTOL APC's..they'll definately have a few SAMAS..
various demons from Calgary..like Balrog's, gargoyles, etc..
Dragons
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

basically, in the rifts universe earth was high magic right up to the atlantian disaster, so dinosaurs evolved in a high magic enviroment. thus they basically have some supernatural attributes.
but i figure in an out of game reason, it was so the T-rex and others remain scary as hard ot kill creatures able to ripup a player group...the old SDC stats from the RMB could be easily taken out by a player character with basic armor and weapons. and would be no threat at all to powered armor, robots, cyborgs, etc.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”