We Gots The Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Re: We Gots The Skills

Unread post by Nightmask »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Mephisto wrote:If a woman were to use pole dancing in combat, would it really help or just be cinematic? I could see her dancing towards a guy, doing a leap grap (as like onto a pole) but instead onto a neck and flip someone over, or leap and deliver MMA style ground and pound. I think if Pole Dancing were taken twice, the second option of incorporating it into the fighting style would make the most sense, since it would mean more time is spent on timing, strength, and movement and not just being able to follow the 1-2-3 turn, switch, flip mantra. It would be precise knowledge of how to use the dancing moves.
I can see dance being used as combat, definitely, but it warrants its own HtoH skill, not just as an add-on to dance.
I agree. Writing up a Hand to Hand skill based on dance would take a bit of doing, though.

Reminds me of a comic I read once (can't remember the name though) where the female character would dance and attack at the same time. The dance portion of it was used to somehow mesmerize her opponents making them much easier to kill. I'd think that a HtH Style would incorporate Ma and Pb bonuses accordingly.

Well it worked for Ana and Una Puma, when they felt like it they had no problems combining their stripper skills with their combat skills to give them an advantage over standard male opposition.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Nightmask, You're getting into all kinds of cross species attraction now. Dancing to catch someone's attention is one thing, but when you throw mutant strippers into the mix..I'm just not sure what to make of that. You dirty monkey you.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Nightmask, You're getting into all kinds of cross species attraction now. Dancing to catch someone's attention is one thing, but when you throw mutant strippers into the mix..I'm just not sure what to make of that. You dirty monkey you.

I guess you think they're anthros based on their names, and haven't seen the 'Dominion: Tank Police' manga or anime? The sisters are androids, I think other than an impressive mane of hair that's nearly ankle length (they use it as Godiva hair as part of their distracting strip tease) and maybe cat-like ears the Puma sisters are otherwise human in appearance.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Nightmask wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Nightmask, You're getting into all kinds of cross species attraction now. Dancing to catch someone's attention is one thing, but when you throw mutant strippers into the mix..I'm just not sure what to make of that. You dirty monkey you.

I guess you think they're anthros based on their names, and haven't seen the 'Dominion: Tank Police' manga or anime? The sisters are androids, I think other than an impressive mane of hair that's nearly ankle length (they use it as Godiva hair as part of their distracting strip tease) and maybe cat-like ears the Puma sisters are otherwise human in appearance.

Yes, yes I did assume as much. It said puma and my brain went mutant mountain lion/puma stripper assassins. Sorry, been playing a lot of TMNT/AtB lately and spending time looking up anthro art as well.

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Nightmask wrote:

Yes, yes I did assume as much. It said puma and my brain went mutant mountain lion/puma stripper assassins. Sorry, been playing a lot of TMNT/AtB lately and spending time looking up anthro art as well.
Pervert. :P
But anyhoo, can you guys take this to PMs or something, kinda getting a lot of irrelevant posting going on in here.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

13eowulf posted some new skills in his own thread based on wiki stuff.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=135104&p=2615010#p2615010
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

:oops:
13eowulf did mistakenly post such skills in a new thread.

It was not an intentional slight against this thread, but an error occurring due to lateness of the hour and not paying attention.

13eowulf apologies.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Adventus
Wanderer

Unread post by Adventus »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I developed these skills for my bunny race, the Hoppitti, but they could be applied to any alien race.

Facial Body Language: The members of this race have a language that is as much gestures as it is verbal. They can, at times, communicate through just nose twitches, winks, lip twitches, and facial expressions. Skill Base: 20% +4% per level of experience.

This skill is also used by every baseball team in the world. lol
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Adventus wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I developed these skills for my bunny race, the Hoppitti, but they could be applied to any alien race.

Facial Body Language: The members of this race have a language that is as much gestures as it is verbal. They can, at times, communicate through just nose twitches, winks, lip twitches, and facial expressions. Skill Base: 20% +4% per level of experience.

This skill is also used by every baseball team in the world. lol
It could possibly be developed into a sports version of the skill, or even military applications. I shall have to take a look at how to modify the skill for other uses.

13eowulf wrote::oops:
13eowulf did mistakenly post such skills in a new thread.

It was not an intentional slight against this thread, but an error occurring due to lateness of the hour and not paying attention.

13eowulf apologies.
No slight taken, apology accepted. :P
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I created an alternate version of the Parachuting skill for use in Steampunk settings and posted it in my New Airship Skills and O.C.C.s thread in the Palladium Fantasy section and am posting it here also for anyone who would care to use it.

Parachuting (Airship Revision): The skill of parachuting includes methods, procedures, and techniques of parachuting, packing the chute, skydiving techniques, precision landing, landing without injury, and practice of jumping from high altitude aircraft and structures. The advantage of parachuting is secrecy, since the characters' insertion into enemy territory or arrival is silent and often goes unnoticed. It is used by Sky Pirates and other airship travelers to cross between ships and to board, often with the element of surprise.
Failure on a parachuting roll indicates that there are complications somewhere along the jump. This might mean an improperly packed chute, tangling of lines, etc. On a high altitude jump, the character gets a second roll for the reserve chute. If the second roll also fails then the character falls to his death! There is not enough time on a low altitude drop to use a reserve chute, so a failed roll means the character hits the ground (meaning death or severe injury) without a second chance. Can be selected as a Pilot Related skill. Base Skill: 40% +5% per level of experience.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mephisto wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I created an alternate version of the Parachuting skill for use in Steampunk settings and posted it in my New Airship Skills and O.C.C.s thread in the Palladium Fantasy section and am posting it here also for anyone who would care to use it.

Parachuting (Airship Revision): The skill of parachuting includes methods, procedures, and techniques of parachuting, packing the chute, skydiving techniques, precision landing, landing without injury, and practice of jumping from high altitude aircraft and structures. The advantage of parachuting is secrecy, since the characters' insertion into enemy territory or arrival is silent and often goes unnoticed. It is used by Sky Pirates and other airship travelers to cross between ships and to board, often with the element of surprise.
Failure on a parachuting roll indicates that there are complications somewhere along the jump. This might mean an improperly packed chute, tangling of lines, etc. On a high altitude jump, the character gets a second roll for the reserve chute. If the second roll also fails then the character falls to his death! There is not enough time on a low altitude drop to use a reserve chute, so a failed roll means the character hits the ground (meaning death or severe injury) without a second chance. Can be selected as a Pilot Related skill. Base Skill: 40% +5% per level of experience.

Nice skill. I might reword it somewhat and use it for my own Hang-Gliding skill (I'm also thinking of some new Physical skills like Rapid Descent Rappelling, Zip Line Ergonomics (kind of a broad-based skill of holding, firing, and ascending a zip line, as well as knowledge to check for defects, understanding it's stability and knowing the functionality of it's use and how to remove it). No I'm not out to copy any comic character, they just seem like a practical set of skills for any Physical Training or Hunter/Vigilante character to have.
I got to thinking, too, that you could have a skill for skydiving on its own which could be used for heroes with flying powers for straightening out to fly when falling from high altitude, judging wind resistance, etc. Failing might mean they injured themselves when flying or failed to straighten out and fell.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mephisto wrote:I think for a Power Skill like Skydiving you'd have to look at characters like Hawkgirl, Rogue, Storm, Superman, Supergirl, Angel, Captain Atom, etc. Storm flies in a completely different manner than Supergirl, and Darkseid flies completely differently than Rogue. Skydiving, combined with Ramming, would be suicide for most characters without Massive Damage Capacity, Indestructible Bones or Healing Factor, or a pretty impressive suit of armor. I'd write Skydiving as a physical skill, to be used in conjunction with Parachuting, so a parachute using character could detach it, fall and with supplement skills like Breakfall or Roll with Fall/Punch/impact, hit the ground and not be hurt while moving quickly to the next objective. It could also be a good skill for someone with Hang-Gliding to have, in case something happens to the Hang-Glider.
Yeah, it would depend on the method used for flying for a Power Skill to be needed or not. With characters who have the power to make the wind catch them, a skill roll would not be needed. Skydiving without flight could be interesting, but yeah, they'd need a way to survive it. Some APS powers would make such a thing possible as well.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Skydiving: This skill may be taken with parachuting to give added bonuses, but may also be taken by characters without parachuting who have other means of stopping themselves from falling, such as flight. Note that jumping from high altitudes for most creatures without a means of stopping themselves before hitting the ground will result in severe injury or death.
The character with this skill can engage in diving from aircraft or tall structures. This allows them to estimate distance from the ground, catch themselves with wind to slow their descent, and be clearheaded enough to pull their chute if parachuting or engage any flight power or ability they might have. Flying characters can use such dives to increase their speed by double when in pursuit of other flying creatures or aircraft.
Failure in a Skydiving roll indicates that the character has not moved correctly and is falling uncontrollably. If at high enough altitude, a second roll may be made to correct their position, but if the second roll fails or if they are at too low an altitude to make a second roll, the character will be considered to be disoriented and the character will hit the ground (meaning death or severe injury). Can be selected as a Physical skill. Base Skill: 30% +5% per level of experience. Bonuses: Adds +5% to the Parachuting skill, +2 to initiative when fighting at high altitude or engaged in midair combat.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Aerialist/Tumbler (Counts as 2 Physical Skills)
Note:This idea stems from the old Air to Air Combat and Combat Driving skills from N&SS and with characters like Nightwing around as inspiration, I wanted to be able to create a ultra-competent aerial acrobat/tumbling gymnast.

This skills belongs to those who were born to the highwire and tumbling as soon as they were walking- acrobatics and gymnastics are as much a part of them as walking or breathing. To reflect their experience at these activities, a number of bonuses are provided with this skill:
*Grants a Bonus of +10% +2% per level to Acrobatics and Gymnastics skills, and these bonuses can place the skill percentages for those skills above 100%, much like a Hardware character or Natural/Genius, with anything above 98% only used to offset penalties for current conditions of skill use such as slippery surfaces, high winds, uneven ground, etc.
*+10% to Climbing skill (does not go over 100%)
*Can fall distances upto 30ft. without taking damage- no rolling with the fall required for first 30ft. of any fall
*+1 PS due to the constant use and training of fluid muscle use
*+2 PP due to the constant development of their agility and dexterity through tumbling and acrobatics
*Adds the following attack to their repertoire: Acrobatic or tumbling charge- does 2d6 damage plus PS bonus (if any) and knocks down targets weighing less than x2 the character's bodyweight (counts as two attacks/actions and must be first move of the melee round- target must be at least 6ft. away to develop sufficient momentum)
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Mephisto wrote:I like the basis of the power, being able to fall and land on opponents based on training. However, I have a few problems with this skill.

1. No set list of abilities. The character should have a huge maintain balance bonus if balance is part of the skill set. I believe it is, so it should be noted.
2. Any combat bonuses to the skill? Does it add to Initiative if you are leaping at someone from a tree or provide any stealth bonuses? If not, it should at least be addressed in a Notes section at the bottom of the skill notation.
3. If the character takes no damage from falls up to 30 feet (which in real life, is quite a fall), a bonus to Roll With Punch/Fall/Impact should be included for falls greater than that height. Also, an S.D.C. bonus should be included, because no one learns how to fall from great heights and not take damage over a spring break weekend. Or at least include a save vs. pain in lieu of an S.D.C. bonus so the character learns how to deal with a possibly bad fall.
4. The bonuses to Acrobatics and Gymnastics. Now, I agree that this is simply a pet peeve, but does the bonus apply to ALL of the sub-abilities of both skills? Since Climbing can get bonuses from both skills, and this adds to it, it seems like a method to get even more skill to Climbing. While not a powerhouse skill, Climbing is one that any skill-based character will want to have. Of physical skills, Climbing, Swimming, Boxing, and General Athletics seem the most practical; the first two provide important situational abilities, while the latter two provide key combat bonuses.

I'm not trying to be negative at all, like I said I enjoy the concept of the skill I just think it could use some refinement.

Thanks for the input- some of these are points that I had thought about but did not decide to add in, maybe I should have...
To address your points, in order:
1. Maintain Balance is something that works oddly in Palladium games so I did not add a bonus to it, plus I was thinking in terms of the Sense of Balance subskill and sort of forgot Maintain Balance. I would think a bonus of +3 or +4 to Maintain Balance but am not sure if that is too high as there are so few things to compare it to.
2.Although it can certainly be utilized in combat, as evidenced by the charge attack, it is not a primarily combat skill- on reflection though I suppose that a bonus of +2 Dodge or even +3 Leap Dodge (adds +5ft. to leap distance) would be apropos. As for Initiative, I had not thought about adding such a bonus as it did not feel appropriate. What would you suggest as a + for Initiative?
3.The Falling thing- I was thinking about trapeze artists and gymnasts that fall off their rings/bars/highwires/etc. and the fact that they are trained to absorb the fall quite well, 30ft. is quite a fall though- possibly no damage for the first 20ft. and a bonus of +2 to Roll with Fall from heights of 20+ ft., but not counting that first 20ft. in the actual fall distance for roll/damage. As for a bonus for SDC, I had not really considered it but I suppose that a bonus of 1d8 to SDC might fit the concept.
4.The Bonus is for the normal sub-abilities of the two skills, so no, it would not add to any bonus provided to climbing or prowl skill from these skills unless the character ONLY uses the climb/prowl skill included in Acrobatics/gymnastics.

So, have I adrdressed your concerns, and do you think the listed modifications would be appropriate for what is essentially a double skill?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

fbdaury wrote:
Mephisto wrote:I like the basis of the power, being able to fall and land on opponents based on training. However, I have a few problems with this skill.

1. No set list of abilities. The character should have a huge maintain balance bonus if balance is part of the skill set. I believe it is, so it should be noted.
2. Any combat bonuses to the skill? Does it add to Initiative if you are leaping at someone from a tree or provide any stealth bonuses? If not, it should at least be addressed in a Notes section at the bottom of the skill notation.
3. If the character takes no damage from falls up to 30 feet (which in real life, is quite a fall), a bonus to Roll With Punch/Fall/Impact should be included for falls greater than that height. Also, an S.D.C. bonus should be included, because no one learns how to fall from great heights and not take damage over a spring break weekend. Or at least include a save vs. pain in lieu of an S.D.C. bonus so the character learns how to deal with a possibly bad fall.
4. The bonuses to Acrobatics and Gymnastics. Now, I agree that this is simply a pet peeve, but does the bonus apply to ALL of the sub-abilities of both skills? Since Climbing can get bonuses from both skills, and this adds to it, it seems like a method to get even more skill to Climbing. While not a powerhouse skill, Climbing is one that any skill-based character will want to have. Of physical skills, Climbing, Swimming, Boxing, and General Athletics seem the most practical; the first two provide important situational abilities, while the latter two provide key combat bonuses.

I'm not trying to be negative at all, like I said I enjoy the concept of the skill I just think it could use some refinement.

Thanks for the input- some of these are points that I had thought about but did not decide to add in, maybe I should have...
To address your points, in order:
1. Maintain Balance is something that works oddly in Palladium games so I did not add a bonus to it, plus I was thinking in terms of the Sense of Balance subskill and sort of forgot Maintain Balance. I would think a bonus of +3 or +4 to Maintain Balance but am not sure if that is too high as there are so few things to compare it to.
2.Although it can certainly be utilized in combat, as evidenced by the charge attack, it is not a primarily combat skill- on reflection though I suppose that a bonus of +2 Dodge or even +3 Leap Dodge (adds +5ft. to leap distance) would be apropos. As for Initiative, I had not thought about adding such a bonus as it did not feel appropriate. What would you suggest as a + for Initiative?
3.The Falling thing- I was thinking about trapeze artists and gymnasts that fall off their rings/bars/highwires/etc. and the fact that they are trained to absorb the fall quite well, 30ft. is quite a fall though- possibly no damage for the first 20ft. and a bonus of +2 to Roll with Fall from heights of 20+ ft., but not counting that first 20ft. in the actual fall distance for roll/damage. As for a bonus for SDC, I had not really considered it but I suppose that a bonus of 1d8 to SDC might fit the concept.
4.The Bonus is for the normal sub-abilities of the two skills, so no, it would not add to any bonus provided to climbing or prowl skill from these skills unless the character ONLY uses the climb/prowl skill included in Acrobatics/gymnastics.

So, have I addressed your concerns, and do you think the listed modifications would be appropriate for what is essentially a double skill?
Personally, I would like to see it written up with the modifications and see how it looks. I agree with Mephisto that it needs work as originally written. I will address the specific points as follows:
1. Typically bonuses to maintain balance of +2 and +4 are typical, but you are pushing it beyond that.
2. I would suggest between +1 and +4 on initiative, whatever feels best. Nothing beyond that, though.
3. I think you should still have them have to roll with impact for the first 20 feet, and if they are successful then they take no damage instead of half damage, then have it work as a normal roll for beyond the first 20 feet, with the bonus to roll applying to both instances.
4. I agree with you about not adding any more bonuses to prowl and climbing. You might want to make the character with this take Acrobatics/Gymnastics as a prerequisite if this is intended to modify those skills.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Personally, I would like to see it written up with the modifications and see how it looks. I agree with Mephisto that it needs work as originally written. I will address the specific points as follows:
1. Typically bonuses to maintain balance of +2 and +4 are typical, but you are pushing it beyond that.
2. I would suggest between +1 and +4 on initiative, whatever feels best. Nothing beyond that, though.
3. I think you should still have them have to roll with impact for the first 20 feet, and if they are successful then they take no damage instead of half damage, then have it work as a normal roll for beyond the first 20 feet, with the bonus to roll applying to both instances.
4. I agree with you about not adding any more bonuses to prowl and climbing. You might want to make the character with this take Acrobatics/Gymnastics as a prerequisite if this is intended to modify those skills.

I had made the logical inference that because this skill added to Acrobatics and Gymnastics that the reader would realize that they needed to pick one or both of those skills before choosing this one, but I'm sorry that I did not spell it out. I will do up a revised version of the skill and then re-post it, thanks for the input.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Note:This idea stems from the old Air to Air Combat and Combat Driving skills from N&SS and with characters like Nightwing around as inspiration, I wanted to be able to create a ultra-competent aerial acrobat/tumbling gymnast.

Aerialist/Tumbler (Counts as 2 Physical Skills)
This skill represents lifelong training in the arts of the aerialist or tumbler- training that began shortly after the character started walking- acrobatics and gymnastics are as much a part of them as walking or breathing.
Requires: Acrobatics and/or Gymnastics skill.

Provides the following:
*Grants a Bonus of +10% +2% per level to Acrobatics and Gymnastics subskills, and these bonuses can place the skill percentages for those subskills above 100%, much like a Hardware character or Natural/Genius, with anything above 98% only used to offset penalties for current conditions of skill use such as slippery surfaces, high winds, uneven ground, etc.
*+10% to Climbing skill- does not get the full bonus from above and Climbing skill still maxes out at 98%.
*+3 to Leap Dodge using leaping/tumbling maneuvers to evade a target's attacks (Does not get the normal bonuses for this dodge except for PP bonus but a successful dodge roll also allows the character to leap out of melee range- adds +5ft. to leap distances)
*+2 to Maintain Balance due to intense training in balance and coordination
*+1 to Initiative due to enhanced reaction times
*+1 PS due to the constant training in fluid muscle use
*+2 PP due to the constant development of their agility and dexterity through tumbling and acrobatics
*+1d8 SDC due to the toughening of the character through their fall training and physical conditioning
*Can fall distances upto 20ft. without taking damage- no Roll with Fall required for first 20ft. of any fall and gets a bonus of +2 to Roll with Fall for distances over 20ft.
*Tumbling Charge does 2d6 damage plus PS bonus (if any) and knocks down targets weighing less than x2 the character's bodyweight (counts as two attacks and must be first action of the melee round- target must be at least 6ft. away to develop sufficient momentum).
Last edited by fbdaury on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

fbdaury wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Personally, I would like to see it written up with the modifications and see how it looks. I agree with Mephisto that it needs work as originally written. I will address the specific points as follows:

I had made the logical inference that because this skill added to Acrobatics and Gymnastics that the reader would realize that they needed to pick one or both of those skills before choosing this one, but I'm sorry that I did not spell it out. I will do up a revised version of the skill and then re-post it, thanks for the input.
It is not always assumed, and someone might take the skill without taking Acrobatics or Gymnastics and just ignore that part of the bonuses. It is always good to state specifics where possible.

fbdaury wrote:Aerialist/Tumbler (Counts as 2 Physical Skills)
Note:This idea stems from the old Air to Air Combat and Combat Driving skills from N&SS and with characters like Nightwing around as inspiration, I wanted to be able to create a ultra-competent aerial acrobat/tumbling gymnast. Acrobatics and/or Gymnastics skill(s) are required before taking this skill as well.

This skills belongs to those who were born to the highwire and tumbling as soon as they were walking- acrobatics and gymnastics are as much a part of them as walking or breathing. To reflect their experience at these activities, a number of bonuses are provided with this skill:
*Grants a Bonus of +10% +2% per level to Acrobatics and Gymnastics subskills, and these bonuses can place the skill percentages for those subskills above 100%, much like a Hardware character or Natural/Genius, with anything above 98% only used to offset penalties for current conditions of skill use such as slippery surfaces, high winds, uneven ground, etc.
*+10% to Climbing skill (does not go over 100%) (bonus from above NOT added to climbing skill)
*Can fall distances up to 20ft. without taking damage- no rolling with the fall required for first 20ft. of any fall and gets a bonus of +2 to Roll with Fall for distances over 20ft.
*+3 to Leap Dodge using leaping/tumbling maneuvers to evade a target's attacks (Does not get the normal bonuses for this dodge except for PP bonus but a successful dodge roll also allows the character to leap out of melee range- adds +5ft. to leap distances)
*+2 to Maintain Balance due to the character's intense training in balance and coordination
*+1 to Initiative due to the character developing enhanced reaction time to allow for mid-air change of conditions.
*+1d8 SDC due to the toughening of the character through their fall training and physical conditioning
*Adds the following attack to their repertoire: Acrobatic or tumbling charge- does 2d6 damage plus PS bonus (if any) and knocks down targets weighing less than x2 the character's bodyweight (counts as two attacks/actions and must be first move of the melee round- target must be at least 6ft. away to develop sufficient momentum)

Any further revisions needed?

I still don't like the fact that you have no roll needed for the first 20 feet. If there is no chance whatsoever of failure it is not a skill, it is a power. And you still did not list the other skills as prerequisites. Also, does the additional move add to their number of attacks or just give them a new type of move?
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
fbdaury wrote:Aerialist/Tumbler (Counts as 2 Physical Skills)
Note:This idea stems from the old Air to Air Combat and Combat Driving skills from N&SS and with characters like Nightwing around as inspiration, I wanted to be able to create a ultra-competent aerial acrobat/tumbling gymnast. Acrobatics and/or Gymnastics skill(s) are required before taking this skill as well.

*+10% to Climbing skill (does not go over 100%) (bonus from above NOT added to climbing skill)
*Can fall distances up to 20ft. without taking damage- no rolling with the fall required for first 20ft. of any fall and gets a bonus of +2 to Roll with Fall for distances over 20ft.
*+2 to Maintain Balance due to the character's intense training in balance and coordination
*+1 to Initiative due to the character developing enhanced reaction time to allow for mid-air change of conditions.

Any further revisions needed?

I still don't like the fact that you have no roll needed for the first 20 feet. If there is no chance whatsoever of failure it is not a skill, it is a power. And you still did not list the other skills as prerequisites. Also, does the additional move add to their number of attacks or just give them a new type of move?

So, it was noted that Acrobatics and or Gymnastics were required to take this skill, right in the opening.
Falling 20ft. without risking harm does not equal a power, falling 200ft. without harm might. THe Falling Technique MA power lists 50ft. as a "safe distance" one can fall with no risk of harm and then has reduced damage for fall s from above that height- I would not consider this 20ft. "safe distance" to be too powerful for this skill.
I'm not sure about your confusion with the charge attack- it is stated to be an extra maneuver to be added to the character's attack knowledge base and even states that it requires two melee actions to perform, so why would it add to the character's normal attacks?
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Mephisto wrote:Here is my revision, in my leveling system since this skill inspired it.

Aerialist by fbdaury

This skills belongs to those who were born to the high wire, parallel bars, swing ropes, and other aeriel stunts as soon as they were walking- acrobatics and gymnastics are as much a part of them as walking or breathing. To reflect their experience at these activities, they gain a number of important bonuses and special abilities.

Requirements: Must be part of a Skill program or if using an O.C.C. system, an O.C.C. related skill. Secondary skills can not be used to acquire Aerialist. Also requires Acrobatics and/or Gymnastics as a co-skill before being selected.
Character Bonuses: +1 to P.S., +2 to P.P., +1 to P.E., +1D8 to S.D.C. Also provides a special bonus of +2 levels for Acrobatics and/or Gymnastics if the character should possess those two skills. Also provides a special bonus of +2% per level when the character is using the Climb skill to climb a rope. This bonus is cumulative with Acrobatics and/or Gymnastics.
Basic Moves and Special Techniques: Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact, Maintain Balance, Sense of Balance (*******), Breakfall, Back Flip, Back Flip – Escape, Leap, Leap – Escape, Leap Dodge, Falling Kick*, Falling Tackle**, Springboard Flip***, Back Flip – Dodge****.

Level Advancement Bonuses:
1st: +1 Maintain Balance, +1 Back Flip
2nd: +2 Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact
3rd: Add Leap – Defense, Add four feet to Leap distance.
4th: +2 Sense of Balance
5th: +1 to Back Flip
6th: At this level, the character can Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact from 20 feet (6 m) and on a successful Roll, take no damage. On a failed roll takes half damage. Does not cost an attack per melee.
7th: Add four feet to Leap distance.
8th: +1 Sense of Balance, +1 to Initiative
9th: +1 Leap (All Leap moves), +1 to Back Flip.
10th: +2 to Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact
11th: +1 Sense of Balance.
12th: +2 to Back Flip
13th: Add Leap Attack.
14th: +1 Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact, +1 to Dodge (both Leap Dodge and Back Flip – Dodge)
15th: +2 Maintain Balance, +2 Sense of Balance.

*Falling Kick: This is a kick where the character is falling towards an opponent and attempts to kick from above. It requires having Initiative and a Strike roll of 10 or higher. It does 3D6 damage when successful.
**Falling Tackle: Similar to the Falling Kick, it requires being airborne and attempting to land on the opponent. This attack cannot be parried only dodged or automatic body flipped/thrown by the victim of the attack. A successful Falling Tackle will pin the opponent, costing the victim a melee action to either try and get free, or attack from the bottom with powers or hand to hand techniques suitable for groundfighting. The attack does a base of 2D4 damage, plus regular speed damage from the weight of the attacker (+4 per 20 mph; not really applicable to normal characters, but flying characters with armor or hardened skin love the aerial ramming attacks). This attack costs two melee attacks and can be hard to time properly. It also requires having Initiative and a Strike Roll of 12 or higher.
***Springboard Flip: This move is a way for the character to regain aerial control. Upon falling onto the ground, with a successful Springboard Flip (using the Back Flip bonus), the character lands on his or her feet, uses the downward momentum and turns it into a long flip onto a structure higher than he or she was on before. The use of this skill will enable the two Falling attacks that the character would not have on the ground. Counts as a single melee action, and the success of the roll (higher being better) the better leverage and result that the Springboard Flip was. A failed Springboard Flip means the character slipped and fell, landed poorly, and takes full damage from the fall without a Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact. The character can sacrifice a melee action to roll for Breakfall. On a successful Breakfall the character takes half damage, otherwise takes full damage. The Breakfall roll needs to be better than a 12 in this instance.
****Back Flip -- Dodge: This move is different than a Leap Dodge. A Leap Dodge is a move away from an attack and attacker to the side of the assailant while a Back Flip – Dodge is moving the character completely away from combat, possibly putting the character on a higher vantage point as well. It costs one melee attack like a standard dodge, but also gives the character the advantage of time since it will cost the character one attack to get into melee range.

Wow- I'm glad that you were so inspired... I think that this is an interesting Alternate Combat style (HTH:Aerialist?) but not exactly what I had intended for the original skill- maybe someone could take both for a truly dangerous combination perhaps? The idea behind Aerialist/Tumbler was as a skill enhancing skill though and I would like to stick with that cocncept for the original skill- but once I have some more time later I will sit down and review this style as well and let you know what I think. Thanks.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

fbdaury wrote:So, it was noted that Acrobatics and or Gymnastics were required to take this skill, right in the opening.

My bad. I did not read it that way. Probably due to the way you formatted it. The skill just reads as confusing in general.
fbdaury wrote:Falling 20ft. without risking harm does not equal a power, falling 200ft. without harm might. The Falling Technique MA power lists 50ft. as a "safe distance" one can fall with no risk of harm and then has reduced damage for fall s from above that height- I would not consider this 20ft. "safe distance" to be too powerful for this skill.
The fact that you say the character can fall with no risk of injury is the main issue. I would have made it "no damage if a successful roll with punch/fall/impact is made and half damage if the roll fails." I don't like skills that automatically succeed.
fbdaury wrote:I'm not sure about your confusion with the charge attack- it is stated to be an extra maneuver to be added to the character's attack knowledge base and even states that it requires two melee actions to perform, so why would it add to the character's normal attacks?
It was a matter of clarification. You seem to have an issue with making your stuff easy to understand.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
fbdaury wrote:So, it was noted that Acrobatics and or Gymnastics were required to take this skill, right in the opening.

My bad. I did not read it that way. Probably due to the way you formatted it. The skill just reads as confusing in general.
fbdaury wrote:Falling 20ft. without risking harm does not equal a power, falling 200ft. without harm might. The Falling Technique MA power lists 50ft. as a "safe distance" one can fall with no risk of harm and then has reduced damage for fall s from above that height- I would not consider this 20ft. "safe distance" to be too powerful for this skill.
The fact that you say the character can fall with no risk of injury is the main issue. I would have made it "no damage if a successful roll with punch/fall/impact is made and half damage if the roll fails." I don't like skills that automatically succeed.
fbdaury wrote:I'm not sure about your confusion with the charge attack- it is stated to be an extra maneuver to be added to the character's attack knowledge base and even states that it requires two melee actions to perform, so why would it add to the character's normal attacks?
It was a matter of clarification. You seem to have an issue with making your stuff easy to understand.

I don't think that it reads as all that difficult to understand, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt that they have a grasp on basic literacy.

As far as your issue with not liking the automatic safe drop of 20ft.? Change it if you decide to allow this skill in your game but your dislike of the feature is not going to make me change it.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

fbdaury wrote:I don't think that it reads as all that difficult to understand, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt that they have a grasp on basic literacy.
Well, no, you wouldn't think that, as you wrote it. But there is no need to be rude and insulting, which is where you seem to be going now.

fbdaury wrote:As far as your issue with not liking the automatic safe drop of 20ft.? Change it if you decide to allow this skill in your game but your dislike of the feature is not going to make me change it.
Obviously, but why post it here if you don't like feedback? I actually doubt I would use it in my game, as there are a lot of simpler ways to do what you are trying to do without using your skill. I did like Mephisto's take on it, so if I were to use any version of the skill it would probably be the one he wrote based on yours.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

fbdaury wrote:I don't think that it reads as all that difficult to understand, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt that they have a grasp on basic literacy.
You really gonna go there? People can read what you write and still not have it register in the few seconds they look over your skill. It has nothing to do with them not being able to read, it has to do with not putting facts in a way people expect to see them. It's called formatting it to the way the reader is used to seeing it laid out. In the books, prerequisites are designates as such with "Prerequisite:", and base skills are designated as such with "Base Skill:". If I were grading you as an assignment, you would get low marks for presentation and not making your skill easy to understand. I am with SG on this one. And I DO have a grasp on basic literacy.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Now, now people. Let's all try and get along.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Re-Edited the second post of the Aerialist/Tumbler skill to make it more in line with standard PB physical skill descriptions.
Hope this clears up any issues with format in my previous posts.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

fbdaury wrote:Re-Edited the second post of the Aerialist/Tumbler skill to make it more in line with standard PB physical skill descriptions.
Hope this clears up any issues with format in my previous posts.
It does read a bit better now.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:Now, now people. Let's all try and get along.
Sorry. :(
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mephisto asked this in the New Powers thread, where it obviously didn't belong:
Mephisto wrote:Do you think a good Physical Training skill would be Impact Training, involving being hit, knowing how to react, roll and recover and bracing for impact? I think some characters that expect to get hit a lot (Physical Training, Secret Operative, Super Sleuth and Hardware come to mind) might benefit from a skill based on that, rather than just relying on a Roll With Punch/Fall/Impact on the chance someone might try to tackle them or throw a tree at them. It would be similar to Breakfall but could be rolled pre-emptively to see how good the Impact is, and in what kind of state the character is in after the Impact (like Perception; the higher the roll the better the result).
I think Impact training would be a really good skill to be able to take. It would have to have a hefty bonus to roll at level one and get progressively better by level. Perception bonuses to it would be good, too, yes...
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Horror Desensitization(Espionage/Technical)
This skill training aims to make the recipient less prone to frighten and startle when comfronted by the horrifying. Training consists of (over)exposure to graphic imagery(random violence, kittens on fire) and repulsive situations(wallowing in maggots, sleeping with live scorpions, some training programs may include exposure, under closely controlled conditions, to minor supernatural creatues and alien beings), making the trainee less prone to scaring easily. The downside is that the person may lose empathy and become hardened to percieving others' suffering.
+1d4 M.E.
+1 to save versus Horror Factor, +1 every 4 levels of experience( or at levels 1, 4, 8 and 12).
+2 save versus insanity
+1 save versus possession
Even on an unsuccessful save versus Horror Factor, the trainee only suffers HALF penalties(effect, duration) for being frightened.
-1d4 to M.A.
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Horror Desensitization(Espionage/Technical)
This skill training aims to make the recipient less prone to frighten and startle when comfronted by the horrifying. Training consists of (over)exposure to graphic imagery(random violence, kittens on fire) and repulsive situations(wallowing in maggots, sleeping with live scorpions, some training programs may include exposure, under closely controlled conditions, to minor supernatural creatues and alien beings), making the trainee less prone to scaring easily. The downside is that the person may lose empathy and become hardened to percieving others' suffering.
+1d4 M.E.
+1 to save versus Horror Factor, +1 every 4 levels of experience.
+2 save versus insanity
Even on an unsuccessful save versus Horror Factor, the trainee only suffers HALF penalties(effect, duration) for being frightened.
-1d4 to M.A.

Nice, but shouldn't this read +1 at level 1, 4, 8 and 12? I am a stickler for clarity.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
+1d4 M.E.
+2 save versus insanity
-1d4 to M.A.

Nice, but shouldn't this read +1 at level 1, 4, 8 and 12? I am a stickler for clarity.

Corrected, but I was bearing in mind that not all OCCs acquire skills at the same levels, so if you took this skill at a later level of your own, the 'every four levels' applies. ;)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
+1d4 M.E.
+2 save versus insanity
-1d4 to M.A.

Corrected, but I was bearing in mind that not all OCCs acquire skills at the same levels, so if you took this skill at a later level of your own, the 'every four levels' applies. ;)
Oh, good point. I was thinking in terms of powers I guess. No correction was needed then, sorry.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Oh, good point. I was thinking in terms of powers I guess. No correction was needed then, sorry.

No worries; my correction allows for both starting out at 1st level exp. or taking it later in an OCC's advancement. ;)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Oh, good point. I was thinking in terms of powers I guess. No correction was needed then, sorry.
No worries; my correction allows for both starting out at 1st level exp. or taking it later in an OCC's advancement. ;)
Yup. I thought it was a really nice one. Any others in the works?
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Yup. I thought it was a really nice one. Any others in the works?

Not offhand. That one hit me suddenly and I was able to type it up on the spot as it were(after a check to see if anybody had done anything similar already). However, inspiration may strike unexpectedly(those are often the best ideas; you don't have time to double-think and reason it out of existence). :wink:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

kittens on fire

Haha awesome

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

kittens on fire

Haha awesome

Don't ask about the puppies...PLEASE don't ask about the puppies...or the panda bears... :frazz:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Hey taalismn, whats wrong with the puppies :lol:
The Dragon Has Spoken
taalismn
Priest

Snake Eyes wrote:Hey taalismn, whats wrong with the puppies :lol:

What did I tell yah?
Still can't look at flea powder or chew toys the same way....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Gift Wrapping(Domestic)---This is the refined skill of being able to quickly, efficiently, and artistically wrap presents and packages, using relatively fragile matereials such as gift paper, bows, and ribbons. Serious practitioners learn how to size up their wrapping needs and use a minimum of material to maximum artistic effect. The skill can also be applied to packing objects for mailing and shipment. Going all out, with materials ready at hand, an experienced gift-wrapper can wrap a number of small(book-sized) packages equal to HALF their P.P. rating in five minutes, or a large (human-sized) object in the same amount of time.
Base Skill: 60 % + 5% per level of experience, +10% if the Origami skill is also possessed.
Gives a +5% to the Art of Binding for tying up prisoners with a touch of class.
Last edited by taalismn on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Gift Wrapping(Domestic)---This is the refined skill of being able to quickly, efficiently, and artistically wrap presents and packages, using relatively fragile matereials such as gift paper, bows, and ribbons. Serious practitioners learn how to size up their wrapping needs and use a minimum of material to maximum artistic effect. The skill can also be applied to packing objects for mailing and shipment. Going all out, with materials ready at hand, an experienced gift-wrapper can wrap a number of small(book-sized) pacakages equal to HALF their P.P. rating in five minutes, or a large (human-sized) object in the same amount of time.
Base Skill: 60 % + 5% per level of experience, +10% if the Origami skill is also possessed.
LOL, nice. :clown:
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:Gift Wrapping(Domestic)---This is the refined skill of being able to quickly, efficiently, and artistically wrap presents and packages, using relatively fragile matereials such as gift paper, bows, and ribbons. Serious practitioners learn how to size up their wrapping needs and use a minimum of material to maximum artistic effect. The skill can also be applied to packing objects for mailing and shipment. Going all out, with materials ready at hand, an experienced gift-wrapper can wrap a number of small(book-sized) pacakages equal to HALF their P.P. rating in five minutes, or a large (human-sized) object in the same amount of time.

I'm checking to see if there's a superpower already done with this as a focus. :P ;)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Any Cryokinesis powers? I didnt see anything specific in the Black Vault.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:Any Cryokinesis powers? I didnt see anything specific in the Black Vault.
Powers? This is the skills thread, sir, unless you mean something that can be taken as a skill. What is Cryokinesis, btw?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

I'm checking to see if there's a superpower already done with this as a focus. :P ;)
I'm pretty sure there isn't. Closest thing is Fabric Manipulation where you can control ribbons.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

WP Flare Gun: lets you shoot a flare gun of any type with an accuracy close to that of a firearm. Negating the intrinsic -3 strike most flair guns have. +2 Aimed. Limited availability: available only to Rednecks.
This WP also includes fireworks that shoot out flares like roman candles.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:WP Flair Gun: lets you shoot a flair gun of any type with an accuracy close to that of a firearm. Negating the intrensick -3 strike most flair guns have. +2 Aimed. Limited avalibility to Rednecks.
This WP also includes fireworks that shoot out flairs like roman candles>
You misspelled "flare" and "intrinsic" and "availability". You might want to edit those.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Mephisto wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:WP Flair Gun: lets you shoot a flair gun of any type with an accuracy close to that of a firearm. Negating the intrensick -3 strike most flair guns have. +2 Aimed. Limited avalibility to Rednecks.
This WP also includes fireworks that shoot out flairs like roman candles>
You misspelled "flare" and "intrinsic" and "availability". You might want to edit those.

Maybe it's a gun for the Nature Boy.

Woo

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”