Recommended Reading

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Peacebringer
Adventurer

Recommended Reading

Unread post by Peacebringer »

I'm reading a book right now called, Daily Lives of Civilians in Wartime Asia: From the Taiping Rebellion to the Vietnam War.

It's rather informative and best of all, concise. It talks about the things you don't hear about like what the people did during those times such as.

In Saigon, the noise of the city wasn't wartime jets or bombs or gunfire, or even motors, it was the sound of people walking which started about 5:30am. As the war progressed, the sounds of Japanese Motorcycles and cars began.

Most people in Saigon, until the Tet Offensive, never saw a VC, besides a dead one on public display as a reminder to others.

In the countryside, which the primary transportation method was the bus, because trains had a schedule and could be easily attacked by the VC, the villagers adjusted to the high number of bombs dropped; about six times more than in North Vietnam. When the spotter planes appeared, the villagers knew how much time they had before the bombs hit and could find cover, usually in an underground bunker, with a candle to scar away the spiders, which the children were dreadful of.

Little tid-bits of information like that can really spice up a game.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: Recommended Reading

Unread post by Natasha »

Peacebringer wrote:Most people in Saigon, until the Tet Offensive, never saw a VC, besides a dead one on public display as a reminder to others.

At least not overt VC. Jiap had infiltrators working in Saigon and other cities in the run up to Tet.

Next time I'm at the bookstore I will search for this book. Thanks!

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”