rat_bastard's Tips for an awesome OH

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

rat_bastard's Tips for an awesome OH

Unread post by rat_bastard »

I've gathered a few tips based on my experiences in the Open House, hope they will be helpful to each of you in future open houses...

#1: Sign up for games as quickly as possible, figure out what games you want to play before hand and run in as early as possible on the first day you come in and sign up for games. As a courtesy only sign up for one game per palladium/forum notable each so that there is more people can play. For example, I was early for the VIP night, I could have signed up to play in every one of Kevin's games, but that would have been a major dick move as Gaming with Kevin is one of the major privileges of the open house. The earlier in the open house you are signed up the better, and the earlier in the open house you play the better as GM's get worn out.

#2: Try a new system, I played three games, a Palladium fantasy game, a Robotech and a rifts game. Rifts I know inside and out and had a blast planning but I had lots of fun trying new settings. I am more interested in learning more about Palladium fantasy now that I played a devious cobbler goblin in that game. I also learned things about Robotech, as I have no real knowledge of the world its set in other than transformable robot fighters and space battles, apparently there are these giant aliens who have these sweet shotguns and stuff...

#3: Wash your hands, use hand sanitizer and eat something green, I carried around a squeeze bottle of hand sanitizer and used it at regular intervals along with maintaining a superior level of hygiene. This has kept me healthy and immune to the convention blahs, I even shook Prince Artemis's hand and avoided his Kangaroo flu (Did you know Prince Artemis sounds nothing like Paul Hogan? Its true, you expect him to be all "lets throw another shrimp on the barbie!" but he's more like "Where is the nearest Tim Horton's eh, I have to put mayonnaise on everything and enjoy excellent health care".) all because I kept washing my hands.

#4: Remember that the people you chat with online are real people who you may very well meet at the Open house. If you spend 362 days of the year posting about Brandon Aten's inability to string three words together don't be surprised if he spends the remaining 3 telling your Open house GM's to kill your character.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Re: rat_bastard's Tips for an awesome OH

Unread post by Danger »

Good advice, all. :D
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Lucas
Adventurer

Unread post by Lucas »

*clap* *clap* bravo,,,,,good job old bean
Buck the System
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

rat_bastard wrote:I even shook Prince Artemis's hand and avoided his Kangaroo flu (Did you know Prince Artemis sounds nothing like Paul Hogan? Its true, you expect him to be all "lets throw another shrimp on the barbie!" but he's more like "Where is the nearest Tim Horton's eh, I have to put mayonnaise on everything and enjoy excellent health care".) all because I kept washing my hands.

Wow, I would have sworn he sounded like Paul Hogan or Hugh Jackman! Especially from a guy from Sydney!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Tiree wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:I even shook Prince Artemis's hand and avoided his Kangaroo flu (Did you know Prince Artemis sounds nothing like Paul Hogan? Its true, you expect him to be all "lets throw another shrimp on the barbie!" but he's more like "Where is the nearest Tim Horton's eh, I have to put mayonnaise on everything and enjoy excellent health care".) all because I kept washing my hands.

Wow, I would have sworn he sounded like Paul Hogan or Hugh Jackman! Especially from a guy from Sydney!

I am such a bad person...

:P
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

rat_bastard wrote:#4: Remember that the people you chat with online are real people who you may very well meet at the Open house. If you spend 362 days of the year posting about Brandon Aten's inability to string three words together don't be surprised if he spends the remaining 3 telling your Open house GM's to kill your character.

I even GM'd one of your open house games and failed to take my own advice.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

The Galactus Kid wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:#4: Remember that the people you chat with online are real people who you may very well meet at the Open house. If you spend 362 days of the year posting about Brandon Aten's inability to string three words together don't be surprised if he spends the remaining 3 telling your Open house GM's to kill your character.

I even GM'd one of your open house games and failed to take my own advice.

Your game was Awesome!

Shooting off a Gargoyles wing in mid flight and then not killing him = the ultimate insult.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

#5: Don't surprise attack Taylor when he has a beer in his hand.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:#5: Don't surprise attack Taylor when he has a beer in his hand.

LOL. That was funny.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.

Return to “Palladium Open House”